My hose won't start

Mangina

Featured Posts

Whilst it’s probably a bot has anyone thought it might be someone who doesnt have English as a first language and has run text through google translate or similar. Or is it easier just to be a twit and make smart arse replies to make yourselves look big boys? 

Edited by Chris Lowe
language

25 minutes ago, frangar said:

Whilst it’s probably a bot has anyone thought it might be someone who doesnt have English as a first language and has run text through google translate or similar. Or is it easier just to be a twat and make smart arse replies to make yourselves look big boys? 

So why has there been no response to my request for photos of what the OP is on about so we can help. Why has the OP not realised the post was unintelligible and given a further explanation of what they want.

Every time someone defends what looks exceptionally like a bot posting, thy make it more likely we get more. Poking fun at it shows the originator that they have been rumbled and treated like a joke.

I ask you, if English is not their first language, then why did they not ask advice of a forum that operates in their language. If they think this forum has superior expertise, then I think it is just bad manners to post gibberish and expect a sensible reply. I also question the motivation of those who seek to excuse such gibberish and time wasting.

Edited by Tony Brooks

20 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

So why has there been no response to my request for photos of what the OP is on about so we can help. Why has the OP not realised the post was unintelligible and given a further explanation of what they want.

Every time someone defends what looks exceptionally like a bot posting, thy make it more likely we get more. Poking fun at it shows the originator that they have been rumbled and treated like a joke.

I ask you, if English is not their first language, then why did they not ask advice of a forum that operates in their language. If they think this forum has superior expertise, then I think it is just bad manners to post gibberish and expect a sensible reply. I also question the motivation of those who seek to excuse such gibberish and time wasting.

Maybe they actually have a life and don’t live glued to a forum. I’m on various forums where it might take a week or more to get a response…

Are there lots of foreign language canal forums then?  Perhaps you could help by posting some links for the OP

Question all you like but the responses on this thread do nothing for the reputation of the forum…no wonder some people don’t post questions. 

Enjoy being in the clique. 

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 4

Just now, frangar said:

Maybe they actually have a life and don’t live glued to a forum. I’m on various forums where it might take a week or more to get a response…

Question all you like but the responses on this thread do nothing for the reputation of the forum…no wonder some people don’t post questions. 

Enjoy being in the clique. 

As you seem to think taking the micky out of what looks like an AI bot posting is unfair, then let us all see your considered answer to the question, rather than sniping from the sidelines. Sniping is easy, constructive answers with so little information is all but impossible -------- unless you can prove differently with your awaited answer.

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

As you seem to think taking the micky out of what looks like an AI bot posting is unfair, then let us all see your considered answer to the question, rather than sniping from the sidelines. Sniping is easy, constructive answers with so little information is all but impossible -------- unless you can prove differently with your awaited answer.

So you sniping is fine but not others…..right…that makes sense. 

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

So you sniping is fine but not others…..right…that makes sense. 

But doesn't that apply equally the other way around? (i.e. your sniping response is fine but not the original sniping). I don't really care and I'm not even sure what a bot is, but that's the flawed logic of your argument.

Taking the question as asked. The need for a snorkel suggests there is a lot of water in the boat, possibly sunk. The needs for a new engine suggests it is submerged. What needing to start his hose is about, I have no idea, unless he is saying his bilge pump won't work. The barge may even have sunk. Whatever it is, the answer is to get the barge up if it is sunk, and get the water out. If the engine has been submerged for any length of time, then the OP probably needs professional help, judging by the standard of English used, because I doubt they would understand any sensible advice that may be given and the last thing I would want done is to put it through Google to translate it.

• Greenie 1

I do actually think this is a genuine request rather than a bot. I assume that the engine of said barge is fubar, and the snorkel comment is to swim along pulling the barge, however the lack of information isn't really conducive to serious or helpful replies, and the choice of username doesn't help the OP's cause if he/she is making a serious request for information.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What needing to start his hose is about, I have no idea

My take is that this is probably a typo - house won't start

Edited by Bacchus
inserted some spaces for clarity after my posts were merged automatically...

2 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

I do actually think this is a genuine request rather than a bot. I assume that the engine of said barge is fubar, and the snorkel comment is to swim along pulling the barge, however the lack of information isn't really conducive to serious or helpful replies, and the choice of username doesn't help the OP's cause if he/she is making a serious request for information.

You may be correct, but that does not explain the absence of the OP in the discussion. The title of the topic also makes no sense if it is a question about a barge engine being inoperative.

Edited by Tony Brooks

28 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Come on, don't be shy, let us see your considered answer to the OP.

I would suggest getting a decent local yard or marine mechanic to look at it.....preferably one that has nothing whatsoever to do with RCR....however Im not based near the Thames unlike you so cant recommend anyone personally. If the OP knows nothing about boats then sadly they are at the mercy of those that pretend they do.

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I would suggest getting a decent local yard or marine mechanic to look at it.....preferably one that has nothing whatsoever to do with RCR....however Im not based near the Thames unlike you so cant recommend anyone personally. If the OP knows nothing about boats then sadly they are at the mercy of those that pretend they do.

Why not RCR ?

Its curious about the other half dying and leaving the boat. I'm not sure why this would be a relevant factor in the request for help unless the body is actually in the boat. This could be why the snorkel is needed. I think this would be a police matter. 

I am guessing the hose is the bilge pump. 

'snorkel' could be 'a towage company' in another language. 

Just now, Laurie Booth said:

Why not RCR ?

Because in my personal experience of helping others that have had boat breakdowns RCR seem to handily suggest that the only solution is a "reconditioned" engine from their sister company.....I have written before on here about the incidents but one engine just needed the head removed and a bit of air filter casing removed from being jammed under an inlet valve....and another needed the cooling system sorted....neither needed a new engine but that was suggested as the only solution.....oh and a RCR "mechanic"...I use the term loosely....tested a vintage engine on a well known historic boat by opening the throttle wide to see what a faint knocking noise was.....thus totally destroying the crankshaft in the process....when it probably could have been sorted with a new shell. 

All first hand experiences....not just towpath tittle tattle....and when Ive posted about it before one of the RCR directors got very tetchy....Im also not alone....a good surveyor friend of mine has loads more tales like the above.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

How many foreign language forums are there that have knowledge of Thames barges?

Tony seems to know loads.....Im waiting for him to post the links....

• Greenie 1