My hose won't start

Mangina

Featured Posts

Gearboxes are another one. Seized? New one. 

No actually you can un-seize it and it will work afterwards. 

14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Or if you can't just go and consult a urologist.:)

Interesting interpretation of the word 'hose'.

17 minutes ago, frangar said:

Because in my personal experience of helping others that have had boat breakdowns RCR seem to handily suggest that the only solution is a "reconditioned" engine from their sister company.....I have written before on here about the incidents but one engine just needed the head removed and a bit of air filter casing removed from being jammed under an inlet valve....and another needed the cooling system sorted....neither needed a new engine but that was suggested as the only solution.....oh and a RCR "mechanic"...I use the term loosely....tested a vintage engine on a well known historic boat by opening the throttle wide to see what a faint knocking noise was.....thus totally destroying the crankshaft in the process....when it probably could have been sorted with a new shell. 

All first hand experiences....not just towpath tittle tattle....and when Ive posted about it before one of the RCR directors got very tetchy....Im also not alone....a good surveyor friend of mine has loads more tales like the above.

Tony seems to know loads.....Im waiting for him to post the links....

It seems a shame that it is very hard to find a reliable mechanic, I always think with RCR there is a way of a comeback if the work was wrong, very hard with  some mechanics that are trading.

49 minutes ago, frangar said:

Because in my personal experience of helping others that have had boat breakdowns RCR seem to handily suggest that the only solution is a "reconditioned" engine from their sister company.....I have written before on here about the incidents but one engine just needed the head removed and a bit of air filter casing removed from being jammed under an inlet valve....and another needed the cooling system sorted....neither needed a new engine but that was suggested as the only solution.....oh and a RCR "mechanic"...I use the term loosely....tested a vintage engine on a well known historic boat by opening the throttle wide to see what a faint knocking noise was.....thus totally destroying the crankshaft in the process....when it probably could have been sorted with a new shell. 

All first hand experiences....not just towpath tittle tattle....and when Ive posted about it before one of the RCR directors got very tetchy....Im also not alone....a good surveyor friend of mine has loads more tales like the above.

I don't think RCR are any worse, or different, from any other mechanic you might get.

From nonRCR ones I've had a leakoff fitted so it broke in a week and the replacement so badly fitted the rocker covers wouldn't shut, a yard replacing the stern tube with such poor sealing that it nearly sank the boat (in addition to a draining deck that drained into rather than out of the boat ), one who rebuilt the gearbox ok but left most of the bolts out of the coupling, another who rebuilt the engine and left me with a massive oil leak..

From RCR I've had three first rate blokes who sorted the problem , one who walked away and left me stranded because "he didn't do Listers", a pair who had a row with my landlord and got them banned from my mooring, a replaced starter and two grand towards gearbox repairs. Mixed, but they're ok for simple stuff. Bit like any breakdown service.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that the OPs 'name' hints that something is not as it should be ..........

Definition of 'Mangina' :

"male genitals tucked behind the legs in an attempt to mimic the appearance of a vagina".

Why would anyone call themselves this ?

I thought it was heart problems. 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd suggest that the OPs 'name' hints that something is not as it should be ..........

Definition of 'Mangina' :

"male genitals tucked behind the legs in an attempt to mimic the appearance of a vagina".

Why would anyone call themselves this ?

Maybe the boat is called Fempenis.

4 hours ago, frangar said:

Whilst it’s probably a bot has anyone thought it might be someone who doesnt have English as a first language and has run text through google translate or similar. Or is it easier just to be a twat and make smart arse replies to make yourselves look big boys? 

I'm neither a twit nor a big boy, thanks. I'm a puffling.

Why are we becoming sensitive about causing offence to someone whose English is inadequate? When I lived in Europe and was learning German I had plenty of people ridiculing my attempts at the language. It was a spur to work on the words or pronunciation that caused hilarity. Is this a consequence of wokeism?

There are plenty of good online language translation tools out there which would have produced better copy than what's above.  But more importantly, how does such a person cope buying shoes or groceries, or getting to see a doctor in this country? They probably ask a friend or relative to do the translation work for them. I find it hard to believe that - even if the OP's partner really has died as they claim - they don't have another contact through whom they can pose an intelligible request on an English-speaking forum.

No, my money is on a bot, until proved otherwise.

Edited by Chris Lowe
language

If the OP is a self learning AI bot, then the replies on this thread will provide an interesting iterative  learning experience for the bot.

Perhaps commissioned by the RCR  as a first  step towards them  RCR replacing their human variable diagnosis abilities,  with a more consistent AI diagnosis ability? 

Uniformly hopeless, instead of being sometimes hopeless. 

But at least more consistent. 

Edited by DandV
Edited to remove the giant stammer

I note that the OP posted and then visited a few minutes later, presumably to see if his post had been accepted. That was it, I did not reply until nearly an hour later, so it seems he/she/it is not interested in any replies. I would suggest over 24 hours later this is an AI bot thing.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I note that the OP posted and then visited a few minutes later, presumably to see if his post had been accepted. That was it, I did not reply until nearly an hour later, so it seems he/she/it is not interested in any replies. I would suggest over 24 hours later this is an AI bot thing.

Or they have read all the hostile replies and decided this isn’t the place for them…and I really wouldn’t blame them…..

4 minutes ago, frangar said:

Or they have read all the hostile replies and decided this isn’t the place for them…and I really wouldn’t blame them…..

He she it hasn't visited to see the replies unless they are looking under a different sign on . as Tony said the posted, looked five minutes latter and not been back since 

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

He she it hasn't visited to see the replies unless they are looking under a different sign on . as Tony said the posted, looked five minutes latter and not been back since 

Or not logged in….you can read without a login. I’ve often done it

1 hour ago, frangar said:

It's not really hostile to point out his original post was incomprehensible and impossible to answer without more info, which hasn't been given. To be honest, saying your hose won't start without a snorkel is a trifle Lewis Carrol. Most comments were unmalicious jokes, and you need a sense of humour to survive on a forum.

You also need to make sense if you want a sensible response.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Chris Lowe said:

As a Mod I can see it.

So can you answer my earlier question about when you were appointed and when this was announced to the forum?

I'm not questioning your suitability for the job, but I am a bit surprised to find that as far as I can see you have crept into the role 'under the radar'.