Boat sightings

haggis

Featured Posts

Just discovered that when you log into the C&RT web site, a new option has been added under BOATS. You can now check where your boat has been seen by one of the checkers. Sadly almost all of this years sightings of KELPIE have been in the marina. 

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Just discovered that when you log into the C&RT web site, a new option has been added under BOATS. You can now check where your boat has been seen by one of the checkers. Sadly almost all of this years sightings of KELPIE have been in the marina. 

Thanks for that - interesting!

Have you found a good way of printing the listing?

Also shows interesting questions. Eg on two occasions we are listed at the same space on successive days, once in the evening and then early the next morning. Not easy to see how this is good use of time?

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ve managed to cruise the entire BCN over the course of three separate visits in the past 18 months without a single sighting.

I’ve had 3 sightings on the BCN over 18 months. 
The trick is to sit still for 14 days to be sure. 

Mine reads like I am very active,

I’m quite surprised 😂

I’m not sure it’s a good idea to have these sightings so easily/readily available, might encourage me to play the system a little bit (more).

8 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Also shows interesting questions. Eg on two occasions we are listed at the same space on successive days, once in the evening and then early the next morning. Not easy to see how this is good use of time?

Yes I've had one or two like that , and I was at one CRT location for about four sightings, over four weeks, might have been when stopped by a stoppage, and unable to move without using water unnecessarily , I seem to remember a local agreement.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

I’ve managed to cruise the entire BCN over the course of three separate visits in the past 18 months without a single sighting.

Funnily enough I noticed Brum missing too. Not surprised they didn't bother when I was the only boat on the Curley Wurley in March, but thought they might have seen me when I was round the corner from their offices for a week!

Assume the records of organised vollies and bookable stuff are kept separately, as there's no Foxton, Tuel Lane, Keadby or even 5 days in Salthouse on my list

This is making me think could have overstayed on 2 day moorings a lot. Haven't been seen on any of them, not even the ones I stayed for a week when allowed in winter.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

😂

I bet that’s where the spotter finished the day, and then was dropped off there again to start the next day to complete a further stretch. 
🤷‍♀️

the spotters I have talked to have a huge area to cover, 

some are dropped off by van then walk or cycle a stretch and are picked up again,

next day repeat from where they finished the day before. 

Only had our current boat since the start of the year, but we’ve been out for about 8 weeks in total, many places.

we have two sightings, one at the marina and one on the Servern by a Lockie.

I’m certain that we have been logged on at least two other occasions, but no reference to them.

3 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

This is making me think could have overstayed on 2 day moorings a lot.

It would be easy for the less scrupulous to collaborate and identify lots of areas that are rarely or never checked. That said, many/most of these are probably already known - we've all seen boats which haven't moved since just before the Coronation (God rest King George V's soul). ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, haggis said:

I've logged in, yet can't find an option labelled BOATS.

6 hours ago, haggis said:

We often requested a copy of NC's sightings from CRT when we renewed our licence. 

By far and away the most common sighting was on our marina mooring despite us spending so little time on there.

It always surprised us that even though the manned locks recorded index numbers these were never added to the sightings records. It surely shouldn't be difficult to add those to the system?

It was on one trip to Nottingham that we were sighted every day for a week. The spotter must have followed us up river and back down again 🤣🤣🤣