Interesting project for someone?

MrsM

Featured Posts

46 minutes ago, MrsM said:

A boat that started life with a Beta JD3, then a Gardner 4LK for many years. 

I'd guess it would sell easier with either of the above than a DIY electric conversion. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

One hopes people don't assume that diesel prices are going to constantly rise because this always proves to be incorrect. 

Screenshot_2023-06-17-13-14-49-011_com.android.chrome.jpg.f67b6b3619d76438ecd9782fa1170356.jpg

Obviously no y axis scale ! but still tells the story. 

This is the crude oil price for the past year. With respect to diesel it is now the same as petrol around here 

image.png.48bf72070d5e4d9b4eb94c7af285ad8b.png

Edited by ditchcrawler
forgot the graph

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

are the G clamps included .....  good grief....  untidy wiring, chocolate blocks everywhere.... hmm what could possibly go wrong.... 🤠

Have to say, I was a bit horrified. 

Vaguely tempted as I currently have more vintage engines than boats.

£45k though for a mess of a boat, jeez!! 

58 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:) Yeah, and I wonder what kind of " Diesel " the " Range extender " 🤣 uses :giggles:

One of the bellringers I know mentions her electric car from time to time. Then one day we were discussing the price of fuel and she made a comment about the price of petrol too, and we were all like hang on, isn't your car is electric?

She explained yes its electric but obviously you still have to put petrol in. It's a car, isn't it? As if we were complete idiots not to realise this, in that way only teachers can do.

I think she probably actually has a hybrid :)

• Haha 2

On 17/06/2023 at 13:16, magnetman said:

One hopes people don't assume that diesel prices are going to constantly rise because this always proves to be incorrect.

Always? Red diesel was about 15p/litre when I bought my first boat 25 years ago.

I'd say it sometimes proves to be incorrect.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Always? Red diesel was about 15p/litre when I bought my first boat 25 years ago.

I'd say it sometimes proves to be incorrect.

Looking at my log book for 2003 we did many 100s of miles that Summer across to Ireland up the West coast of Scotland to 'the top' back down to North Wales via the Isle of Man.

Lowest price was 25p per litre in Holyhead fish dock and higest price was 32p per litre at Oban.

Doing only 1.25 miles per gallon (at cruise) we got thru quite a bit of diesel.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

One of the bellringers I know mentions her electric car from time to time. Then one day we were discussing the price of fuel and she made a comment about the price of petrol too, and we were all like hang on, isn't your car is electric?

She explained yes its electric but obviously you still have to put petrol in. It's a car, isn't it? As if we were complete idiots not to realise this, in that way only teachers can do.

I think she probably actually has a hybrid :)

... or a very smelly boot!

18 hours ago, MtB said:

Vaguely tempted as I currently have more vintage engines than boats

Oh do you now... fancy selling me one to stick in my project? 

Nice enough boat though, just needs a bloomin good going through 

I think the exhaust valves might get a bit warm on the little diesel. Looks like a Kubota Z482.

Too many elbows.

Screenshot2023-06-18at19-01-11narrowboats_canalboatseBay.png.0edbda3b50fe842a45a8abd19b734af6.png

The cooling on the motor itself is also very Heath Robinson.

Trouble there I think as Lynch motors are capable of burning out the brushes quite easily.

Anyway electronically commutated / brushless motors have superceded brushed motors in almost all applications. The Lynch and Perm type motors are old news.