Boat Fires

Featured Posts

On 14/06/2023 at 22:28, Arthur Marshall said:

Probably why most marinas insist on BSCs, insurance and licences. Presumably Pillings is one of those where you don't need a CRT licence.

Not that if it was started by an ornament, any of them would have no difference at all . Does seem a bit of an over-reaction but I seem to remember trouble there a few years back.

ETA if the boats are unlicenced, where on earth are they going to go?

I suspect that the 25 boats that have been moved on with no license / Insurance (and presumably no license or at least an invalidated one) would also come under the umbrella of being poor / non payers of mooring fees.

I suspect that with covid there are probably a fair few boats sat in marinas that currently have a deceased owner because all of the paperwork relating to the boat is on the boat and relatives may know that John "had" a boat somewhere but no idea of where.

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Jess-- said:

I suspect that with covid there are probably a fair few boats sat in marinas that currently have a deceased owner because all of the paperwork relating to the boat is on the boat and relatives may know that John "had" a boat somewhere but no idea of where.

Except I'd have thought that when someone dies, the bank account paying the mooring by direct debit gets either frozen and the executors trawling through it would realise there was a boat. Or if the account was not known about at all, it simply runs out of money eventually and the situation draws to a close that way.

On 17/06/2023 at 19:43, MtB said:

Except I'd have thought that when someone dies, the bank account paying the mooring by direct debit gets either frozen and the executors trawling through it would realise there was a boat. Or if the account was not known about at all, it simply runs out of money eventually and the situation draws to a close that way.

And after the moorings have been unpaid for a while, and letters to the owner's address go unanswered, the marina invokes the non-payment clause in the mooring agreement which allows them to take possession of the boat and sell it to cover their costs, with any surplus being (notionally) held for the benefit of the owner or his/her beneficiaries, but in practice never having to be paid over.

On 13/06/2023 at 22:43, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Not interested in joining every Narrowboat related group/forum especially members only ones. I have enough problems dealing with pointless posts and wasting my time, a bit like what this one is turning into because you can’t see the details of it. Why don’t you do something so everyone can see it?

I’ll leave it to the members of that Facebook group to discuss on here, which is totally pointless on this forum. Go and discuss it on Facebook.

Increasingly news related to canals appears on Facebook and not on here though. Take the stoppage page on here for example, it used to be the first place I checked before a cruise but now I don't bother and rely on Facebook instead, stoppage info appears there much quicker now.

4 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Increasingly news related to canals appears on Facebook and not on here though. Take the stoppage page on here for example, it used to be the first place I checked before a cruise but now I don't bother and rely on Facebook instead, stoppage info appears there much quicker now.

On which particular FB canal group? There are too many to count, many with a very low useful information content -- a bit like the political forum here... 😉

Edited by IanD

13 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Having recently been caught by a stoppage on the GU Leicester line i can tell you that the info was nowhere to be found anywhere but the towpath telegraph (Foxton lock smurfs & moored boaters). By the time it appeared as a CRT stoppage it had already been sorted.🤷‍♂️

26 minutes ago, IanD said:

On which particular FB canal group? There are too many to count, many with a very low useful information content -- a bit like the political forum here... 😉

Generally if a canal has a specific facebook page it's very useful, eg the K&A, Oxford&Cov, L&L etc

I expect having the groups members only reduces the amount of spam they receive. I know that even with members only groups the admins have to work very hard to keep the groups integrity. It is usually straightforward for those genuinely interested to join .

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

I expect having the groups members only reduces the amount of spam they receive. I know that even with members only groups the admins have to work very hard to keep the groups integrity. It is usually straightforward for those genuinely interested to join .

You can make the groups visible to all but only allow posting by members, which solves both problems... 🙂

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

Generally if a canal has a specific facebook page it's very useful, eg the K&A, Oxford&Cov, L&L etc

What might be good, maybe have a Facebook group that corresponds with the relevant Nicholson Guide book number/area, so covering the area rather than a specific canal.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 22/06/2023 at 16:43, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

What might be good, maybe have a Facebook group that corresponds with the relevant Nicholson Guide book number/area, so covering the area rather than a specific canal.

You could always set one up if you fancy all the work looking after it.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could always set one up if you fancy all the work looking after it.

Maybe worth doing by someone who is into Facebook and joining the groups. I imagine a Facebook Group tied in with the Nicholson area could work quite well. Maybe Nicholson could do it and make some money off advertising?

Better joining one group that covers an area than joining half a dozen individual canal groups in that area.

59 minutes ago, Peanut said:

Or, CRT News and Media, could subscribe to the Facebook groups, and check out any reports and validate them on their website. Their publicist must be New Media savvy, no?

Their CV probably stated so....

14 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Maybe worth doing by someone who is into Facebook and joining the groups. I imagine a Facebook Group tied in with the Nicholson area could work quite well. Maybe Nicholson could do it and make some money off advertising?

Better joining one group that covers an area than joining half a dozen individual canal groups in that area.

I doubt any extra income for them would offset the cost of the time spent managing/moderating the groups to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Peanut said:

Or, CRT News and Media, could subscribe to the Facebook groups, and check out any reports and validate them on their website. Their publicist must be New Media savvy, no?

Do you not think they are watching them and even on here?

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do you not think they are watching them and even on here?

Well, I would hope so, but at times they come in for such heavy criticism on here that I might be led to question their competance. There again, they seem to manage corporate promotion well, so Social Media might be up their street.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a boat fire on Monday evening under the March Bypass bridge. Some of us watched this happen from the moorings at Foxes, there is some damage to the underside bridge from the heat of the fire. One person was injured while putting out the fire. 

The boat was unlicenced and the subject of enforcement action by the Middle Level. This morning Kevin Russel the enforcement officer towed the waterlogged burnout wreck back to the Middle Level yard to be impounded. The owner who is a NBTA member (Makes a point of telling people this, mostly to officials apart from MLC officals who they hide from) claims the Middle Level Commissioners have stolen their boat.  

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

There was a boat fire on Monday evening under the March Bypass bridge. Some of us watched this happen from the moorings at Foxes, there is some damage to the underside bridge from the heat of the fire. One person was injured while putting out the fire. 

The boat was unlicenced and the subject of enforcement action by the Middle Level. This morning Kevin Russel the enforcement officer towed the waterlogged burnout wreck back to the Middle Level yard to be impounded. The owner who is a NBTA member (Makes a point of telling people this, mostly to officials apart from MLC officals who they hide from) claims the Middle Level Commissioners have stolen their boat.  

Oh dear, what a pity, how very sad.