Boat Fires

Featured Posts

Just now, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I do a bit of Facebook, but don’t want to join all these members only Narrowboat related groups, most of which are full of young people who don’t move much and ask basic stuff.

That is the best complement I have had all day, young person,

14 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I do a bit of Facebook, but don’t want to join all these members only Narrowboat related groups, most of which are full of young people who don’t move much and ask basic stuff.

I raise the average age a bit. Not much, though . Young people don't do Facebook.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I raise the average age a bit. Not much, though . Young people don't do Facebook.

I like the way people want to know what is said on Facebook but they don't want to join because they are not interested on what is said on Facebook.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I like the way people want to know what is said on Facebook but they don't want to join because they are not interested on what is said on Facebook.

It is not the joining. It is all the crap you then get because you joined

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am really not the least bit intrested in Facecbook, and could not care what is posted on lt.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not interested in joining every Narrowboat related group/forum especially members only ones. I have enough problems dealing with pointless posts and wasting my time, a bit like what this one is turning into because you can’t see the details of it. Why don’t you do something so everyone can see it?

I’ll leave it to the members of that Facebook group to discuss on here, which is totally pointless on this forum. Go and discuss it on Facebook.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just seen a report on Facebook that three boats have been burnt in a fire in a marina. Pillings Lock Narrowboat Owners Group | Facebook

If there was a lithium battery within 1000 yards of the inferno, this time tomorrow I will be being chased by a mob of angry BSS inspectors with pitchforks, in very much the same way that the mob of villagers used to chase that poor monster in Frankenstein. 

Fair play though, those villagers had some stamina. 

Edited by Tony1

43 minutes ago, IanD said:

What crap is that? I've never had any...

Me neither. I'd forgotten I was a member of that group until I followed the link. Some interesting comments.

48 minutes ago, IanD said:

I get an avalanche of spam texts from the FB server if I am a ever stoopid enough to log in. I still get a trickle of unsolicited stuff even if I don't. Things like "Here is a memory for you from five years ago today" (containing some pics of me posted by someone else).

8 hours ago, IanD said:

I had to join so I could answer questions on the magazine's page, not that there were any. I find that I can't log in to try to delete my account (incorrect password) or alter my password and they regularly email to tell me there has been an attempt to change my password, with other rubbish less regularly. It is too much trouble for what it is worth.

It is like the links people and news sites post to Twitter that then promptly tell you to log in or join.

9 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Don’t they? Seams there’s loads of them on the London boaters groups. I would say more so than on here.

The specific groups probably have members of ages interested in that particular thing. I originally joined to pick up general guff from family and friends, but none of the generations below mine use it any more and any real friends' posts are drowned by ads or just not shown by their algorithm.

I use it to advertise gigs, music and have the occasional rant, which seems to be its main purpose. It'll fade away in time. But I've seen nothing about boat fires.

I'm in the group and there isn't much info yet as people are understandably reluctant to speculate about an incident that had led to three people loosing their boats and homes. One theory is that an ornament in a boat window reflected the sun. It was on C pontoon and the fire spread from one boat to two others. 

It's a good (and sobering) point - I remember using a magnifying glass to light campfires as a kid so it is easy to see how this could have happened on a boat when the sun is as strong as it has been. 

I couldn’t find a way of leaving Facebook so in the end I had to get the wife to tell Facebook that I’d passed away. It still took a month before they removed me though; apparently according to Facebook it was to allow time for people to post tributes to me! 😕

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

8 hours ago, MtB said:

I get an avalanche of spam texts from the FB server if I am a ever stoopid enough to log in. I still get a trickle of unsolicited stuff even if I don't. Things like "Here is a memory for you from five years ago today" (containing some pics of me posted by someone else).

That's strange, I never get anything like that. If you do log in and visit Facebook you get posts like the memories, but not otherwise, and certainly no texts. Don't know what you did to have this happen, maybe you ticked (or failed to untick) a box about notifications when you set up the account...

Edited by IanD

No idea what happened here but a number of yars ago the polished stainless steel {!) box over the pumpout diaphragm pump unit on the pontoon at my London mooring reflected the sun in such a way that it started to burn the pontoon decking. 

I saw the smoke. Why they make these from polished stuff I don't know. Perhaps aesthetics. 

Weird random stuff can happen in hot weather. 

The incident at Pillings (I have not read details) sounds awful. 

• Greenie 1