Boat Fires

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

There was a boat fire on Monday evening under the March Bypass bridge. Some of us watched this happen from the moorings at Foxes, there is some damage to the underside bridge from the heat of the fire. One person was injured while putting out the fire. 

The boat was unlicenced and the subject of enforcement action by the Middle Level. This morning Kevin Russel the enforcement officer towed the waterlogged burnout wreck back to the Middle Level yard to be impounded. The owner who is a NBTA member (Makes a point of telling people this, mostly to officials apart from MLC officals who they hide from) claims the Middle Level Commissioners have stolen their boat.  

Was it this one by any chance Fundraiser by Sadie Warters : Recover & Rebuild My House Boat (gofundme.com) Link to go fund me page for burnt out boat

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Was it this one by any chance Fundraiser by Sadie Warters : Recover & Rebuild My House Boat (gofundme.com) Link to go fund me page for burnt out boat

Thats the one, standard NBTA insurance by begging bowl. That picture is suspect, did they set the boat alight themselves?

Telling porkers about what was on board, going to need far more than £10K,

Highways bill for damage to the bridge

Licence fees dating back to October 2020 plus towage, storage and legal fees to the Middle levels 

Edited by nbfiresprite

38 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Highways bill for damage to the bridge

Licence fees dating back to October 2020 plus towage, storage and legal fees to the Middle levels 

The highways bill is interesting - I am assuming that they aren't cheap, would be interested in knowing how much. And I assume if the boat was uninsured, they will be pursuing the amount payable legally.

Are we assuming uninsured (as well as unlicensed) due to the GoFundMe page being set up; otherwise, surely, he would be claiming off the insurance for the fire? Or is it more complicated, perhaps 3rd party insurance in place which means the highways/council can claim off that, but personal possessions, contents and the boat itself are not covered.

5 hours ago, Paul C said:

The highways bill is interesting - I am assuming that they aren't cheap, would be interested in knowing how much. And I assume if the boat was uninsured, they will be pursuing the amount payable legally.

Are we assuming uninsured (as well as unlicensed) due to the GoFundMe page being set up; otherwise, surely, he would be claiming off the insurance for the fire? Or is it more complicated, perhaps 3rd party insurance in place which means the highways/council can claim off that, but personal possessions, contents and the boat itself are not covered.

He's a she.

7 hours ago, Paul C said:

Some of the rubber bearing pads have been damaged by the heat of the fire, to replace will need jacks or a crane to lift the bridge deck up to allow the damaged pads to be replaced.

People who don't license their boats, tend not to bother with insurance, it is the same with some car or van owners who don't bother with paying the VED, or getting a MOT.  

No one was living aboard, much of the inside had been removed and dumped beforehand, The name and index number had been removed. The boat was about to be taken anyway by the Middle Level for non payment, a 7day legal notice had been fixed to the boat a few days before, So they no longer owned it.

The picture was clearly taken before the fire engines arrived from March Station (3 or 4 minuites). No fireman would let someone stand that close to a raging fire to take a picture. They were standing at the bottom of the steps which go up the bank to join the West End road.

They claim on the Gofundme page that "someone has set my houseboat on fire". Yet they told the fire service that 'the cause of the fire was accidental'. Either have they lost everything other than the boat which is longer thiers anyway. 

Cambs Fire Service incident report.

It is belived among the people who watch the fire from the marina bankside that these two set fire to the boat themselves as a scam. When they runout of money to refit. 

2 hours ago, wandering snail said:

He's a she.

It's both, there are two of them. It is a fact of life that people tend to give more to a gofund page when it is a woman.

Edited by nbfiresprite

Your screenshot cropped off the relevant bit:

The navigation is closed between Aylestone Mill Lock and Parsons Bridge (107) on the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal near Aylestone. This is due to a narrow boat fire and resulting fuel spillage.

The incident has been attended to by the police and fire brigade who have the situation under control.

The narrowboat has sunk and is now blocking the navigation which will remain closed until further notice.

On 15/06/2023 at 13:55, David Mack said:

If a boat caught fire as a result of something wrong with the boat, such as an electrical fault, 3rd party insurance would not pay out for damage to that boat, but it would pay out for damage to any other property, such as other craft or pontoons damaged as a result of the fire.

You'd think so, but actually: no. I discovered this when a boat in a marina where we moored sank due to gas locker floor corrosion and added a layer of diesel to the surface of the water which dissolved our new blacking. The boat's insurance didn't pay out because the owner had broken the contract by not maintaining the boat in canal-worthy condition, and that included not covering third-party liabilities. I even went as far as reading the law: The Road Traffic Act contains a clause enforcing the condition that a motor insurance policy's third party provisions cannot be nullified by the insured's negligence; the British Waterways Act, which otherwise borrows identical language, is missing that clause.  In our case the options were to sue a fellow moorer whose boat had just sunk, claim on our own insurance, or stand the costs ourselves.

MP.

On 13/06/2023 at 22:19, ditchcrawler said:

I like the way people want to know what is said on Facebook but they don't want to join because they are not interested on what is said on Facebook.

That's not quite right; the incident is not exclusive to Facebook.  For example, someone says that there is an incident somewhere and I suggest that the people who want to know more are frustrated that the OP hasn't quoted more details of the actual incident.  That's not the same as wanting to know what's on Facebook as such. Personally,  I couldn't careless about what is on Facebook, and on this forum I think it is quite well known that there is a substantial number of members who have no desire to join Facebook. 

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2023 at 12:02, howardang said:

That's not quite right; the incident is not exclusive to Facebook.  For example, someone says that there is an incident somewhere and I suggest that the people who want to know more are frustrated that the OP hasn't quoted more details of the actual incident.  That's not the same as wanting to know what's on Facebook as such. Personally,  I couldn't careless about what is on Facebook, and on this forum I think it is quite well known that there is a substantial number of members who have no desire to join Facebook. 

Howard

There are a substantial number of people not on FB, not just boaters . I joined to keep in touch with my family - none of them now use it. I just use it to advertise music and band events.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There are a substantial number of people not on FB, not just boaters . I joined to keep in touch with my family - none of them now use it. I just use it to advertise music and band events.

I talk to you (sometimes)