Jump to content

Wifi outdoor aerial for 3 huawei router .


Greg & Jax

Featured Posts

If anyone has ever wondered what is inside those Poynting aerials, now you know!!

 

image.jpeg.7248f41ba83ec7cc81b6cbf1a0b51ef2.jpeg

 

Mine blew over in the wind, smashed against the roof, top cover came off and fell into the canal never to be seen again!

It still works though, even in the rain !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I managed to avoid aerial and router problems with a 4g camera. It is CCTV for the boat viewable from the phone and it is also a 4g internet hotspot which works really well.  

 

It is a nice tidy item with its own aerials. Mount it up high somewhere. Sends email alerts if needed with humanoid detection in defined areas via the app. 

 

Really good actually. Just put a data sim in it and job done. Waterproof item. Runs on free app called CamHi. 

 

Very small package and not all that conspicuous. Good for a bird box as long as the birds can't get in. Needs 12v wiring obviously. 

 

 

£160.  

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313471752716

 

 

s-l400.jpg

 

I don't know how fast it is. 

 

Edited by magnetman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

 

Yes thanks delivery by Friday - now I need a router. Any suggestions? Especially for an over the counter service running out of time

Again. Lots on e-bay, if you are not too fussy about which version you want. Make sure it is compatable with your network, or get an unlocked one. I think the b535-235 might be the one with the RJ11 if you want to connect a telephone handset. Not many of these on e-nay at the moment.

 

 

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284977216277?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Greg & Jax said:

Hi all .

We now have a poynting xpol-a0001. 

Just got to sort a small pole out and we should be sorted . 

Will update as we go along .

Thankyou all  for the pointers .

We have a Kuma magnetic pole, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Mounting-Antennas-Caravans-Motorhomes-Black/dp/B019H5V9LW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=5QJW1D5L5ZJM&keywords=magnetic+pole+mount&qid=1681422775&sprefix=magnetic+pol%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to hop on this thread....   we have the EE 5G data sim in the standard supplied router, but this doesnt have any sockets for antennas. 

 

Any recommendations for a good router which can switch between 4g and 5g and to which we can attach an antenna - or even attach one 4g and one 5g antenna - i am not really sure how these work?

 

Do we need two antenna - one for 4g, one for 5g? - are they totally different hardware...  can you have the 4g plugged into the 4g antenna socket and a 5g one plugged into the 5g socket?

 

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TandC said:

Just to hop on this thread....   we have the EE 5G data sim in the standard supplied router, but this doesnt have any sockets for antennas. 

 

Any recommendations for a good router which can switch between 4g and 5g and to which we can attach an antenna - or even attach one 4g and one 5g antenna - i am not really sure how these work?

 

Do we need two antenna - one for 4g, one for 5g? - are they totally different hardware...  can you have the 4g plugged into the 4g antenna socket and a 5g one plugged into the 5g socket?

 

Thanks 

 

The antenna you will need will depend on which router you choose -- assuming it has external antenna connectors, which many don't, and how they are connected. 5G routers do cost more than 4G ones, they're newer and choice is more limited, see here:

 

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product-category/4g-routers/

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product-category/5g-routers/

 

Most modern 5G routers have 2 external connectors (2x2 MIMO), and both these are used for both 4G and 5G bands so you need to buy an antenna which covers both, such as these:

 

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product-category/5g-antennas/2x2-mimo-5g-antennas/

 

These ones from Poynting are a popular choice for boats -- an omnidirectional one means you don't have to swivel it round to point at the nearest mast, a directional one has more gain (better reception) but needs adjusting every time you move the boat.

 

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product/poynting-xpol-1-5g-omni-2x2-mimo-4g-5g-antenna/

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product/poynting-xpol-2-5g-directional-antenna/

 

This is what most people do. Some newer routers have 4 connectors (4x4 MIMO) also used for both bands these (and the antennas) are more expensive but can give better performance, such as these:

 

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product-category/5g-antennas/4x4-mimo-5g-antennas/

 

This one from Poynting (omnirectional) is a popular choice for boats:

 

https://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/product/poynting-xpol-1-5g-omni-4x4-mimo-4g-5g-antenna/

 

Beware that some older 4G/5G routers have 4 antenna connectors but 2 are for 4G and 2 are for 5G, this means you need 2 2x2 MIMO antennae (or one 4x4 MIMO one) but don't get the better performance.

 

Your first choice is depending how much you want to spend, then this will tell you what your options are.

 

BTW there may well be other cheaper sources than the one I quoted from, I've only used them because they have a wide range of kit which is easy to search through 🙂

 

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Midnight said:

Huawei B535 router on O2 switched on today and already a strong wifi signal inside the boat and I haven't yet connected the Poynting aerial. All looking good for this year's cruise.

Happy to hear it's an improvement for you. You'd never want to go back to hanging your phone in the window as a WiFi source after using a proper modem (router) for a day, would you?

The Poynting sitting inside the boat should improve the signal slightly but the best fringe reception is with it on a pole outside. 

The admin controls on the Huawei (via http://192.168.8.1/html/index.html) are a good place to begin. It'll probably need a firmware update. I found it helpful to play around with setting the 'antenna connection' to auto or external for best results.

If needed, you can also send and receive SMS from within the same admin screen. Helpful if you need to recover a text code for some logon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Puffling said:

Happy to hear it's an improvement for you. You'd never want to go back to hanging your phone in the window as a WiFi source after using a proper modem (router) for a day, would you?

The Poynting sitting inside the boat should improve the signal slightly but the best fringe reception is with it on a pole outside. 

The admin controls on the Huawei (via http://192.168.8.1/html/index.html) are a good place to begin. It'll probably need a firmware update. I found it helpful to play around with setting the 'antenna connection' to auto or external for best results.

If needed, you can also send and receive SMS from within the same admin screen. Helpful if you need to recover a text code for some logon.

Can’t find the ‘antenna connection’ in the admin controls - can you point me in the right area to find it please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/04/2023 at 15:57, magnetman said:

I managed to avoid aerial and router problems with a 4g camera. It is CCTV for the boat viewable from the phone and it is also a 4g internet hotspot which works really well.  

 

It is a nice tidy item with its own aerials. Mount it up high somewhere. Sends email alerts if needed with humanoid detection in defined areas via the app. 

 

Really good actually. Just put a data sim in it and job done. Waterproof item. Runs on free app called CamHi. 

 

Very small package and not all that conspicuous. Good for a bird box as long as the birds can't get in. Needs 12v wiring obviously. 

 

 

£160.  

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313471752716

 

 

s-l400.jpg

 

I don't know how fast it is. 

 

 

I realise it might make the owners feel more secure, but I hate the growing trend for CCTV cameras on boats. It feels like the paranoid atmosphere of the town centre has moved along the waterways and embedded itself on river and canal banks. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Can’t find the ‘antenna connection’ in the admin controls - can you point me in the right area to find it please?

Go to Advanced -->System -->System settings

...as shown.Screenshot_2023-04-18-22-06-04-817-02.jpeg.2dc963d04838365066f5b49ce7d31ccf.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

  • Greenie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.