Beer Glasses

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

When I was learning how to drink beer, we always used to take the empty glasses back to the bar as a matter of courtesy. <<

Like you, I was brought up in good pubs. The practice also gives you the opportunity to say "thank you".

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

No they are from the sarth

Same thing.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

When I was learning how to drink beer, we always used to take the empty glasses back to the bar as a matter of courtesy. 

Is this still a done thing in todays modern world, or is it considered depriving someone of a job?

Asking for a friend of a friend. 

I still do, and sometimes get a lock of surprise from the staff

How things have changed, I have not had a 'local' for years, but when I did we all used to have our own tankard at the pub, usually in the Landlord's hand as you walked in ready to be filled. Guess those days are gone forever.

Having your own tankard behind the bar can be a bad thing.  A friend of ours received a metal tankard after his year as Commodore of a local yacht club.  He hung it behind the bar and used it for a year or two.  One day a new barman gave him his pint in a glass not knowing who he was.  Our friend indicated his tankard hanging up and asked that it be used.  The barman duly poured the beer from the glass into the tankard.   Everbody there watched as the beer didnt all fit in the tankard!  Fortunately our friend was an amicable chap and found it very funny that he had been buying short pints for the last year or so.  The tankard was duly removed from service and renewed.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, Goliath said:

Now I like to keep the same glass. 
Anyone else have this habit?

There’s just something about the sticky glass and the built up taste. 

Guiness and Lagers I’ll have a fresh glass. Or if I change my beer to a different type I’ll have a fresh glass. 

Some pubs will do it, some pubs do it automatically, some you have to ask, some refuse, some don’t give you the chance, some claim hygiene, some claim it’s pub policy not to. 
Some say it’s unhygienic while wiping the back of their hand across their nose and reaching for a fresh glass. 

Tulip glass?

it’s a Sleever every time👍

All pub side boozers by the way. 

It's illegal to offer up a soiled glas to a beer tap, it's called hygiene.

Pour your new pint in to the old glass.

34 minutes ago, Ken X said:

Having your own tankard behind the bar can be a bad thing.  A friend of ours received a metal tankard after his year as Commodore of a local yacht club.  He hung it behind the bar and used it for a year or two.  One day a new barman gave him his pint in a glass not knowing who he was.  Our friend indicated his tankard hanging up and asked that it be used.  The barman duly poured the beer from the glass into the tankard.   Everbody there watched as the beer didnt all fit in the tankard!  Fortunately our friend was an amicable chap and found it very funny that he had been buying short pints for the last year or so.  The tankard was duly removed from service and renewed.

Can work the other way 👍

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

It's illegal to offer up a soiled glas to a beer tap, it's called hygiene.

Pour your new pint in to the old glass.

Once again, for about the 5th time on this thread, it isn’t illegal to pour beer from the pump into the same glass. However pubs which use a swan neck tend not to as the nozzle can touch the glass. If it was illegal, beer festivals where they pour straight from the barrel into a glass that someone carries around with them all day would have been shut down years ago. 

• Greenie 3

I thought it was illegal because I do remember a change coming in around 15 or 20 years ago. However, I can find no substance to this illegality on line. Searching the Camra forum provides lots of debate but no de facto reference to a law. 

Pouring a pint using a hand pump varies greatly up and down the country. Northern pubs tend to use a swan neck with a tight sparkler which will produce a lot more head even if the sparkler is immersed in the beer, much to the benefit of the pub's profit margins.