Mooring increases re inflation ?

bigcol

Featured Posts

With most narrow boats now 50ft+ long, and relatively few small cruisers about, there can't be much opportunity to fit two shorter boats on one 70 ft jetty, even assuming a grp cruiser owner would be happy to be sandwiched between steel narrowboats. And with jetties 14 feet apart, then even if you can find two shorter boats that fit, one of them is blocked in. So it's not really surprising that such moorings are sold per jetty.

There are 3 different length pontoons at Hartford but all boats are charged per metre, with widebeams paying £1 a metre extra. The longest pontoons at 60ft are spaced about 30ft apart so plenty of room. Finger pontoons are 4ft wide with main ones wider. 

On the other hand fees are not cheap but seem to be average fir the Great Ouse. And our electric has gone down to 24p a unit and diesel to moorers is now at 98p litre.

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

I must admit I'm looking like I'm n horns of dilemma, 

Stay on cut till I'm physically unable and hope I'm rescued by local authority.

Or sell up, and fritter away my cash on things like a roof over my head, then demand my entitlement! 

You are going to demand it either way. 

Why delay the inevitable?

You were complaining about the same things 4 years ago when you bought the boat!

Nothing changes 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, LadyG said:

I must admit I'm looking like I'm n horns of dilemma, 

Stay on cut till I'm physically unable and hope I'm rescued by local authority.

Or sell up, and fritter away my cash on things like a roof over my head, then demand my entitlement! 

Live for today. 

On 19/01/2023 at 13:45, bigcol said:

Hi there

regarding what’s happening in the UK re inflation this and last year

what increases percentages have you received for your 2022- 2023 contract compared to 2021-2023 ?

col

0% (touch wood!)

On 31/03/2023 at 14:17, jonathanA said:

I would expect that most mooring operators would be looking at an RPI based price increase from CRT

... assuming that the mooring operators are on CRT administered waterways. Many aren't.

Edited by blackrose

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Agreed, we don't know what is in front of us, long term planning is for the birds. 。⁠◕⁠‿⁠◕⁠。

What is the saying? 

Something like "Dance like nobody is looking, garden like you'll live for ever"? 

One could also say "Financially plan like you'll live for ever", just in case you live longer than you expected. As someone notable once said, "Nothing grips a man like old age and poverty". I've always thought it a good observation and it applies to women too. 

Interestingly, google returned 'no results' to the query "Who said "Nothing grips a man like old age and poverty"?"

But Google's "Bard" AI reckons it it often attributed to Mark Twain but there is no evidence.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Interestingly, google returned 'no results' to the query "Who said "Nothing grips a man like old age and poverty"?"

But Google's "Bard" AI reckons it it often attributed to Mark Twain but there is no evidence.

From ChatGPT...

This quote is often attributed to the Irish playwright and novelist, George Bernard Shaw. However, it is important to note that the exact wording and phrasing of this quote may vary in different sources.

Having been playing with ChatGPT for the last half hour I have no confidence that answer is true.

I've been asking about the outcome of a Cheltenham race. First it denied the race even existed, despite the answer quoting its full name (which I hadn't!).

Then, when I said yes it does, it apologised for the confusion and gave me the name of the winning horse and jockey. Both were wrong.

Edited by Lily Rose

• 4 months later...

I sold our boat about 18 months ago due to a change of circumstances and lack of use. Typically I am now missing boating. So, looking at shorter boats (our last was 57'), internet research is showing marina prices to be almost as high for a 40' as we were paying 18 months ago. I know everything has increased but I found that a bit of a shock. License fees also seem to be similar, in that the 40' is almost our old 57' rate.

Are people paying the advertised rates or are deals being done?

It does seem that the independent marinas are disappearing , selling out to large groups so more of a cartel possibly.

1 hour ago, WhiteSuit said:

I sold our boat about 18 months ago due to a change of circumstances and lack of use. Typically I am now missing boating. So, looking at shorter boats (our last was 57'), internet research is showing marina prices to be almost as high for a 40' as we were paying 18 months ago. I know everything has increased but I found that a bit of a shock. License fees also seem to be similar, in that the 40' is almost our old 57' rate.

Are people paying the advertised rates or are deals being done?

It does seem that the independent marinas are disappearing , selling out to large groups so more of a cartel possibly.

CRT visited our marine last week, we are expecting a substantial increase in due time,.licence fees have gone up massively with substantial cuts in maintenance! Beware is all I can say 

1 hour ago, WhiteSuit said:

I'm pretty sure they are all still there, even it the ownership is changing.

I'm surprised you see much change in just the last 18 months though. I'd have thought the big rise in boat prices happened longer ago than that. But maybe as rents continue to rise exponentially, even really expensive boats make sense to buy to live on.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

But the Prime Minister and all his gophers keep telling me that inflation is coming down.....

Let's hope it doesn't come down too far then, as deflation is a whole lot scarier than inflation. 

Bear in mind we still about 8 or 9 base rate increases yet to take effect, given that each BR rise takes about a year for its effect to show up in the inflation figures. 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Bear in mind we still about 8 or 9 base rate increases yet to take effect, given that each BR rise takes about a year for its effect to show up in the inflation figures.

That is my recollection from the last time interest rates were rising dramatically, (1990's). I think my mortgage reached 14% or so. I've had about 18 months to 2 years in my mind.

I have been somewhat surprised and disappointed that The Monetary Policy Committee seem to be in a rush to increase interest rates based upon todays rate of inflation, rather than appreciating that stopping at one of the previous increases would have had the desired effect, due to the obvious lag effect.

I actually wonder whether there is a hidden agenda between The Bank of England and Government, although I cant guess what it might be.

(BTW: I dont believe there is a cat in hells chance that The Bank of England and The MPC are truly independent of Government :( )

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

(BTW: I dont believe there is a cat in hells chance that The Bank of England and The MPC are truly independent of Government :( )

I agree, and from time to time have this argument on the finance forums. The BoE or more particularly the MPC sets the rate, but only do so by appointment by the guvvermint. So given the guvvermint can take away that BR setting function in a heartbeat, I think the MPC members have this in mind when setting rates and are quite susceptible to a quiet word in their ears from the PM or chancellor a day or two each month before they reconsider the rate. 

12 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I actually wonder whether there is a hidden agenda between The Bank of England and Government, although I cant guess what it might be.

And yes the real reason for all the BR rises is to prop up the Sterling exchange rate and in particular, thereby bear down on the cost of energy and oil imports.

• Greenie 1

What we have to remember is that the marinas as well as CRT increasing prices to them the council does the same! Dave's went up 4% which he passed onto us and it will be the same when CRT ramp it up! Ww are still  waiting after last Thursday's inspection by Louise from estates