Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

On 24/08/2022 at 09:40, Nightwatch said:

Up here in t’north, there’s many fat boats. Trip boats, hire boats and privately owned fat boats. Some are Dutch Barge replicas, which are lovely but are so out of place on the canals. Others are seemingly, over fed narrowboats, I have not seen a good looking one.

Why would anyone want one? Just my opinion.

Oy, you old phaart :D I dont follow this thread, as u can see by my late response.

Why would anyone want one

Well how about the fact thay are vastly more comfortable to live on, as in VASTLY. They handle better than skinny boats and are more stable. They are of far more run of the mill dimesions than silly narrowbeam boats that only the UK were daft enough to build many of.

Of course, they should not be allowed on little canals like the Oxford and others. However, the silly dimensioned narrow beam boat is the daft size on proper waterways like the Trent and A and C for instance :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Oy, you old phaart :D I dont follow this thread, as u can see by my late response.

Well how about the fact thay are vastly more comfortable to live on, as in VASTLY. They handle better than skinny boats and are more stable. They are of far more run of the mill dimesions than silly narrowbeam boats that only the UK were daft enough to build many of.

Of course, they should not be allowed on little canals like the Oxford and others. However, the silly dimensioned narrow beam boat is the daft size on proper waterways like the Trent and A and C for instance :P

Okay, you’ve convinced me. Where do I buy one of these monstrosities?  I do have a question though. How do you fill it?

Also, someone suggested you may have been tipped off, spoken to Sean lately???

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Okay, you’ve convinced me. Where do I buy one of these monstrosities?  I do have a question though. How do you fill it?

Also, someone suggested you may have been tipped off, spoken to Sean lately???

No tip offs, I was just revisiting a done to death thread :D

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Personally I’ve loved living on a narrowboat for 30 years…and really don’t see the advantage of one of fugly widebeam things…if you want a bigger boat at least get something not quite so offensive on the eye……

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, frangar said:

Personally I’ve loved living on a narrowboat for 30 years…and really don’t see the advantage of one of fugly widebeam things…if you want a bigger boat at least get something not quite so offensive on the eye……

Quite.

Once you breach the 7ft beam then at least get something boat shaped. A nice Dutchman, or a replica if you must. But a fattie NB just demonstrates an appalling lack of taste. So disappointing how many people see nothing wrong with 'em! 

• Greenie 3

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No tip offs, I was just revisiting a done to death thread :D

It could be argued it's not done until CRT stop allowing unsuitable boats to cause problems on this stretch of canal intended for narrow boats.

• Greenie 3

23 minutes ago, MtB said:

Quite.

Once you breach the 7ft beam then at least get something boat shaped. A nice Dutchman, or a replica if you must. But a fattie NB just demonstrates an appalling lack of taste. So disappointing how many people see nothing wrong with 'em! 

I’d be looking at something like a duker or L & L short boat. So many lovely indigenous boat shapes to choose….I wonder what the attraction of a fat narrowboat is? 

I’d guess the attraction is loads of accommodation- if I had some land by a suitable canal, and the canal was amply wide enough, I would be happy having one to live on. Although  I would still need a Narrowboats for going out on!

4 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I’d guess the attraction is loads of accommodation- if I had some land by a suitable canal, and the canal was amply wide enough, I would be happy having one to live on. Although  I would still need a Narrowboats for going out on!

But why not have something that at least looks nice!! 

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’d be looking at something like a duker or L & L short boat. So many lovely indigenous boat shapes to choose….I wonder what the attraction of a fat narrowboat is? 

Dukers wont fit down the GU or other 14ft beam canals, which is a pity.

You would need a 6/7 copy even ten years ago it wasn't fun on the GU it would be a royal PITA now

2007-08-29 17.48.32.jpg

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Dukers wont fit down the GU or other 14ft beam canals, which is a pity.

You would need a 6/7 copy even ten years ago it wasn't fun on the GU it would be a royal PITA now

2007-08-29 17.48.32.jpg

That’s because the GU isn’t a suitable waterway for any widebeam boat! Other more suitable waterways are available….

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I wonder what the attraction of a fat narrowboat is? 

Square chine flat bottomed hull, little cabin tumblehome, blunt bows and stern maximise internal space and avoid the need for specially fitted furnishings. Cheap and easy to build the shell by steel fabricators, rather than proper boatbuilders. And newbie buyers looking for a cheaper alternative to bricks and mortar, who know no better.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, frangar said:

But why not have something that at least looks nice!! 

Sometimes it all comes down to cost. We all have an ideal house (well, some of us!) in our minds but cost, work and / or family commitments mean we live in a small semi. I would love a 70’ luxemotor DB but we all know the potential costs and problems of a 100 year old boat.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not like you :)

Yes it is!

I delete my own posts from time to time, particularly when I think I've been unnecessarily harsh.

In this case I wrote a particularly condemnatory post about widebeams then had second thoughts and deleted it. 

It is not nice to be horrid about other people's boats. Not even the horrid ones. Like ugly children, their owners still think they are wonderful :) 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

It is not nice to be horrid about other people's boats. Not even the horrid ones.

The boats or the people?

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Like ugly children, their owners still think they are wonderful

Never did me any harm. My parents proudly told everyone they thought I was wonderfully ugly.

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes it is!

I delete my own posts from time to time, particularly when I think I've been unnecessarily harsh.

In this case I wrote a particularly condemnatory post about widebeams then had second thoughts and deleted it. 

It is not nice to be horrid about other people's boats. Not even the horrid ones. Like ugly children, their owners still think they are wonderful :) 

I have the useful condition of "face blindness", so most if the time I can't even remember how ugly my children are. Or me, for that matter.

My boat, on the other hand, is old, battered but entirely charming.