Fat boats on the North Oxford

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Isn't there a requirement to have/use bow and stern fenders:

"Vessels to have fenders ready for use

6. Every vessel navigated on any canal shall have ready for immediate use proper fenders of suitable material and in good condition and the master of such vessel shall use such fenders whenever there is a risk of the vessel striking against any other vessel or against any wall, lockgate, bridge or other thing."

Thus, the argument that a slightly oversize historic boat can shorten itself by lifting them, is rendered moot if we're going to observe and apply the byelaws uniformly to widebeams and others.

Or in other words, "be careful what you wish for", historic moaners.

Fenders are ready to deploy, there is no danger of striking anything as it takes up the full lock which is why they are lifted.

I’ve just arrived North Oxford, poor timing we know. Any updates on the fat boat move expected  - all day? - tomorrow please? Also; I can’t seem to find a Twitter account for CRT. Very grateful for any help please. Thanks.

2 hours ago, jeanb said:

I’ve just arrived North Oxford, poor timing we know. Any updates on the fat boat move expected  - all day? - tomorrow please? Also; I can’t seem to find a Twitter account for CRT. Very grateful for any help please. Thanks.

What do you mean "just arrived North Oxford"?   Just turned on at Hawkesbury Junction or are you at Braunston?

Miles Away originally said Saturday OR Sunday. Now, presumably after being contacted by CRT, he has stated it will be Sunday but, rather unhelpfully, has given no indication of what time. My guess is that if you can avoid Braunston to Dunchurch Pools until after lunch tomorrow you should be ok. They have apparently been to Warwick for their 1 week trip and I suspect today was a bit tight for getting back so they'll probably go back tomorrow morning to give themselves the afternoon to pack up and frack off, go home.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanalRiverTrust

Edited by Lily Rose
To add url for CRT Twitter

5 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

What do you mean "just arrived North Oxford"?   Just turned on at Tewkesbury Junction or are you at Braunston?

Miles Away originally said Saturday OR Sunday. Now, presumably after being contacted by CRT, he has stated it will be Sunday but, rather unhelpfully, has given no indication of what time. My guess is that if you can avoid Braunston to Dunchurch Pools until after lunch tomorrow you should be ok. They have apparently been to Warwick for their 1 week trip and I suspect today was a bit tight for getting back so they'll probably go back tomorrow morning to give themselves the afternoon to pack up and frack off, go home.

BUT  they should not be jollying on the North Oxford Canal   !!!

They should transit to the GU  and stay there.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

BUT  they should not be jollying on the North Oxford Canal   !!!

They should transit to the GU  and stay there.

Apparently its ok now, provided they give CRT a vague indication of when they will be massively inconveniencing everyone else on the canal. 

40 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Most grateful for info. Yeah Tewkesbury Junction near Midland Swindler’s lol.

My tablet annoyingly changes Hawkesbury to Tewkesbury!

Anyway, Midland Chandlers is at the other end of the North Oxford at Braunston.

If you want a really good chance of being bit by the infamous fatboat Miles Away just moor up on the visitor moorings opposite the waterpoint near Midland Chandlers and stay there tomorrow. If anyone is on the waterpoint opposite you when the fat'un comes through havoc is likely to ensue.

Have your phone at the ready then you will be able to send CRT some photos. Or better still, a video.

47 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

My tablet annoyingly changes Hawkesbury to Tewkesbury!

Anyway, Midland Chandlers is at the other end of the North Oxford at Braunston.

If you want a really good chance of being bit by the infamous fatboat Miles Away just moor up on the visitor moorings opposite the waterpoint near Midland Chandlers and stay there tomorrow. If anyone is on the waterpoint opposite you when the fat'un comes through havoc is likely to ensue.

Have your phone at the ready then you will be able to send CRT some photos. Or better still, a video.

That is what it will take to get a result. I wish I was there, the fatty would not get past and I would have him in the cut on the end of by boat hook, like the worm he is.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Apparently its ok now, provided they give CRT a vague indication of when they will be massively inconveniencing everyone else on the canal. 

No, it is not OK for boaters. What C&RT chose to turn a blind eye to does not make it right. It is after all our canal as citizens of the UK..

10 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I guess there is the tricky situation of boaters who will take their boats through waterways where the boat is slightly over the published maximum dimensions, for example old working boats which have spread a bit or are maximum length but published but owners are happy to risk taking them through a lock where the published maximum dimensions are smaller than their boat.  If the statement was along the lines of you mustn't exceed the published dimensions there would be a lot of ex working boats that wouldn't be able to go far.

Best I don't go to Llangollen as I draw more than 2 foot

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So he has a dog?  Pity, it will bark whilst the drill is working on the hull.

Absolutely disgusting attitude towards another boater. Sorry Tracy, what little respect I had for you has irretrievably gone.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Good, then you won't be reading my posts any more.

Did you have your sense of humour surgically removed or did it fall out of your ear?

Did I say that I would drill his boat? Did I say that someone should?  Lighten up laddie, life is too short to bear grudges, laugh and the world laughs with you.

I knew you were TRYING to be funny but it was a lackadaisical attempt and fell somewhat short of achieving humour. You're basically a grumpy, socially inept, lonely person who needs the internet to prop up your weak ego. In a way, canals are ideal for you. That I have to share the waterways is muted by the fact there's 2000 miles of them, and fingers crossed if I am in the same place, we are going opposite directions and the encounter will be brief. Laugh all you want.....

• Unimpressed 3

45 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I knew you were TRYING to be funny but it was a lackadaisical attempt and fell somewhat short of achieving humour. You're basically a grumpy, socially inept, lonely person who needs the internet to prop up your weak ego. In a way, canals are ideal for you. That I have to share the waterways is muted by the fact there's 2000 miles of them, and fingers crossed if I am in the same place, we are going opposite directions and the encounter will be brief. Laugh all you want.....

Although it may not have been your intention, your post comes across as a misguided and gratuitously aggressive attack on a member who was posting in a humorous manner (which is still not banned on CWDF).

No more of it, please.

52 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I thought it was funny. The above is just a bit sad. You appear to have been looking in a mirror when writing your second sentence.

Ah well, as Robert Sheckley so wisely said, some of us are onions and some of us are carrots,  but we all have our place in the stew.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Good, then you won't be reading my posts any more.

Did you have your sense of humour surgically removed or did it fall out of your ear?

Did I say that I would drill his boat? Did I say that someone should?  Lighten up laddie, life is too short to bear grudges, laugh and the world laughs with you.

It never laughs with me. Usually just at me.

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Thanks for the info Hudds Lad. Further to our post yesterday we’re well clear of the VLCC.

The third "C" obviously doesn't stand for "crude" -- any suggestions? 😉