phasing out of fossil fuels - programme

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does anyone not expect that very soon there will be 'duty' added to the electricity used to charge vehicles - "they" will somehow have to make up for the lost duty from petroleum fuels.

I have just been chatting with my brother about this. He has a Nissan EV200. At the moment Octopus pay him to charge it up overnight.

I can't see how they would determine you were using electricity to charge a vehicle

2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I have just been chatting with my brother about this. He has a Nissan EV200. At the moment Octopus pay him to charge it up overnight.

I can't see how they would determine you were using electricity to charge a vehicle

Different circuit? 

2 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

They can't.  So you'll pay the same rate as you do for the electric water heating they are mandating.  Just don't expect it to be the same price as it is now!

Realistically, it will go on VED in the future - you'll pay a much higher "road tax" when there are less ICE vehicles around - it won't remain free or cheap for EVs once they pass a certain percentage of vehicles on the road.

Camera based road usage tax. 

That makes sense plus insurance based on the feedback from the vehicle. I think Tesla already do this but they are not a long term player. 

As for finding out how people are charging the batteries that is where the swappable batteries come in. They have their own modems and GPS units in them and if you are caught charging one up outside of a Registered Dealer of Controlled Electric you are forced to wear a face mask for a month. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They can't.  So you'll pay the same rate as you do for the electric water heating they are mandating.  Just don't expect it to be the same price as it is now!

Realistically, it will go on VED in the future - you'll pay a much higher "road tax" when there are less ICE vehicles around - it won't remain free or cheap for EVs once they pass a certain percentage of vehicles on the road.

Obvious solution. Milk it while you can.

10 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

No. You can charge on a 13 amp plug. Obviously it takes a lot longer

That is how next door does his Range Rover. Anther friend makes a profit from visiting National Trust gardens in his Tesla, free charging points so he gets home with more power than he had when he left 

37 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Expected draw on the circuit? Remember they are 32 amp circuits and charge full blast until full 

I have a 3-phase supply and several 32a sockets around the place.

We had one built into the kitchen ceiling to supply the 'plate warmer and hot box', but I understood that you could charge an EV overnight from a standard 13a socket.

That being the case, how can the Wh used for charging a car be differentiated from the normal domestic usage ?

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And to get to Torksey in the 1st place you are having to do 20 miles 'ish on the Tidal Trent

Ah but you could do the equivalent of what was done in earlier times with cars - turn the engine off and coast downhill. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does anyone not expect that very soon there will be 'duty' added to the electricity used to charge vehicles - "they" will somehow have to make up for the lost duty from petroleum fuels.

Not necessary - just introduce road pricing (think M6 Toll, but everywhere)

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is how next door does his Range Rover. Anther friend makes a profit from visiting National Trust gardens in his Tesla, free charging points so he gets home with more power energy than he had when he left 

Pedantry, I know, but this is a technical discussion.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have a 3-phase supply and several 32a sockets around the place.

We had one built into the kitchen ceiling to supply the 'plate warmer and hot box', but I understood that you could charge an EV overnight from a standard 13a socket.

That being the case, how can the Wh used for charging a car be differentiated from the normal domestic usage ?

Most dont charge from granny cables it's an EV term, Grant's available for EV charging points it allows you to preheat/cool down the car before journeys, the daughter has one for her Ampera, jan has one for her leaf and Neil has one for his Tesla which he rarely uses because he has free supercharging for life, I am sure it can be monitored separately.  0

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I think black boxes and charging for use will be the answer 

On the matter of Hydrogen as a fuel derived via wind farms.

The energy required to crack water is not insignificant.

The Hydrogen atom is very, very small, so small indeed that it can diffuse through solid metal.

Because of this feeding Hydrogen through the existing or even specially laid pipes would be at least wasteful and even dangerous. Natural gas is bad enough, think treacle and water.

The only other option is cyrogenic liquification of the gas if transport is required thus adding an extra cost in both cash and wasted energy. 

There may be a case for cracking plant attached to the power stations to provide a backup for when the wind don't blow or there is exceptional demand.

3 minutes ago, Man 'o Kent said:

On the matter of Hydrogen as a fuel derived via wind farms.

The energy required to crack water is not insignificant.

The Hydrogen atom is very, very small, so small indeed that it can diffuse through solid metal.

Because of this feeding Hydrogen through the existing or even specially laid pipes would be at least wasteful and even dangerous. Natural gas is bad enough, think treacle and water.

The only other option is cyrogenic liquification of the gas if transport is required thus adding an extra cost in both cash and wasted energy. 

There may be a case for cracking plant attached to the power stations to provide a backup for when the wind don't blow or there is exceptional demand.

They are already doing this in Scotland the plant to make hydrogen and then use it to make electricity 

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

An HDMI video lead can tell the  DVD player at one end it is fastened to a DVD recorder at the other rather than to a television - I think the same technology will apply to car charging leads.

22 minutes ago, rgreg said:

Same thing in the Times this morning - I won't post a link as the Times have a paywall

In said times column the comments include the usual "shafting the motorist" with no regard to the fact the electricity is both tax free and considerably cheaper 

I still think a smart charging lead will end up playing a role. 

On another note - cars have been a concern of urban planners since the 1950's, and the concern wasn't emissions. I hope that electric vehicles don't lead to a culture shift where the bus and the bike are abandoned - we'd have to rebuild our town centres. (ref: Colin Buchanan, Traffic in Towns)

10 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Strange you should say that (inside knowledge ?)

Rishi Sunak considers plan to charge motorists for every mile they drive on Britain's roads to fill £40billion tax hole left by the switch to electric cars

• The Chancellor is reportedly 'very interested' in the idea of national road pricing
  • Scheme was dropped by Labour in 2007 due to uproar over £1.50 a mile charge
  • Currently road charges limited to areas such as M6 Toll and Dartford Crossing 

Rishi Sunak is considering plans to charge motorists for every mile they drive on Britain's roads to fill a £40billion tax hole left by a push to electric cars, according to reports.

The Chancellor is reportedly 'very interested' in the idea of a national road pricing scheme - which would steer motorists into a new 'pay-as-you-drive' type system. 

A similar type of scheme was dramatically shelved by Labour in 2007 amid uproar that drivers could be charged up to £1.50 a mile.

But a national scheme is now being considered amid fears a switch to electric vehicles will leave a massive tax shortfall from the loss of key revenue raisers such as Fuel Duty and Vehicle Excise Duty, according to the Times.

It comes amid reports Boris Johnson wants to accelerate his green plans - including bringing forward a ban on the sale of petrol and diesel cars to 2030.

But that could mean an end to a number of big tax revenues, such as VAT on fuel - which currently raises around £5.7billion-a-year

It could also mean an end to Fuel Duty, currently charged at 57.95p a litre on petrol and diesel vehicles, and which is on course to raise £27.5billion this financial year. 

Meanwhile, Vehicle excise duty (VED) - which is charged on the purchase of cars based on their emission levels - is expected to raise £7.1billion.  

A government source reportedly told the Times that the Treasury had analysed potential options for a national road pricing scheme.

However the source said such a scheme was not 'imminent'.

A similar plan was shelved by Labour ministers in 2007 amid fears drivers would be billed up to £1.50 a mile.

A petition was signed by 1.8million motorists opposing the idea.

Presumably it would be only EV's paying the 'mileage charge' as ICE would still be paying VED, Fuel Duty and Fuel VAT

It will only be the SALES of new ICE cars that are banned so 13,000,000 (?) ICE engined vehicles will presumably still be using the roads.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I suspect an ownership tax will re emerge. Ie ved. It will be much higher to deal with the congestion pollution and revenue issue.

Currently in the uk  we pay the same ved on our diesel vehicle as on our glycogen powered vehicles. ( which last year did three times the distance ) .

our stranded camper in Australia pays a huge amount of ved compared to what it would here.

Ownership/pollution/ location / value equation will be a complicated but lucrative formula. Road pricing is too equitable.