Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Hope the OP stays regardless of strong opinions being expressed.

Yes.

Librarians, particularly school ones, are an endangered species and need looking after!

And remember, when asked "What do you like about working in a school?"

The answer is "August"

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Then let the Bishop be you're shepherd and lead you to Faversham.

To give you the finger?

?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

Librarians, particularly school ones, are an endangered species and need looking after!

And remember, when asked "What do you like about working in a school?"

The answer is "August"

To give you the finger?

?

Tasty Ale that one. 

14 hours ago, Ange said:

Google is your friend - I must confess I did a quick Google after your post just to check I hadn't made an arse of myself but I'm good with that word ?

And believe me I'm no stranger to making an arse of myself and getting stuff wrong

The person who doesn't "cock up" (Is that PC now or sexist) has never done anything

• Greenie 1

Happy New Year.

Good luck to both the OP who posted what sounded like a slightly reboundy dating profile (nothing wrong with a little cutting loose when the occasion demands) and to the slightly older (one imagines) gentlemen (one pretends) circling the 'challenge' of trying to be less sexist than the next whilst still helping out a 'lady' (7 pages on a 'Hi, I don't have a boat' thread?!? Pur-lease... when did that happen without the suffix 'or a man'?).

I don't have a pretty soft focus snap for a profile pic and I post for advice on topics such as plumbing. And that is what I get. Nothing patronising/sexist/inappropriate. Just opinions on boats. Which is rather why I joined a boating forum ?

This place is great. The self-deprecating thing is old (and OP will probably find being single gets old too soon enough). Sweet, and overly apparent, dreams all

xx

10 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Happy New Year.

Good luck to both the OP who posted what sounded like a slightly reboundy dating profile (nothing wrong with a little cutting loose when the occasion demands) and to the slightly older (one imagines) gentlemen (one pretends) circling the 'challenge' of trying to be less sexist than the next whilst still helping out a 'lady' (7 pages on a 'Hi, I don't have a boat' thread?!? Pur-lease... when did that happen without the suffix 'or a man'?).

I don't have a pretty soft focus snap for a profile pic and I post for advice on topics such as plumbing. And that is what I get. Nothing patronising/sexist/inappropriate. Just opinions on boats. Which is rather why I joined a boating forum ?

This place is great. The self-deprecating thing is old (and OP will probably find being single gets old too soon enough). Sweet, and overly apparent, dreams all

xx

As you say 7 pages on  "Hi, I'm a Newbie, thinking of buying a boat" just goes to show what a soft focus profile image can do to men. Maybe a lot of the posters need to get out more.

7 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

As you say 7 pages on  "Hi, I'm a Newbie, thinking of buying a boat" just goes to show what a soft focus profile image can do to men. Maybe a lot of the posters need to get out more.

Yes but as usual only a few pages are on topic ?

On 31/12/2019 at 01:42, Ange said:

That's exactly what we did - except we had a big enough bathroom to find a place for the portapotti we bought from Lidl for not very much money.

It's a great compromise, but I would reiterate dump through rather than macerator, the simpler it is the less can go wrong.

PS welcome Vanessa - I've hung on here despite the chauvinism that has driven so many good women away. I can name at least 7 that I've actually met in person who had so much to contribute but gave up.

Sadly many try to turn groups into “boys clubs” I’ll never understand why. Thanks for the welcome, I shall stick around for as long as poss :) 

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Happy New Year.

xx

It’s really not a “rebound dating profile” thing. As I said , my partner committed suicide in 2018 which has made me rethink my life and decide to embrace the single life. At 51 with lots of relationships behind me I can see that happiness isn’t necessarily only to be found as part of a couple- so no, it won’t get “old” any time soon. 
And the profile pic? It’s my Facebook one,because I signed in using Facebook. Not intended as a “come on” at all. Tsk. 

• Greenie 1

What can I say Vanessa, it takes a lot to say what you have,  fingers crossed you find the right boat like many other ladies before you.  After that it's up to you,  I have never looked back and couldn't imagine life not on a boat so hopefully we will meet one day when you are out cruising 

• Happy 1

23 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

5aca94a8d871c_lardalek1.jpg.c1433bc6e06f77a463ec05c0aedeb23b.jpg

Incidentally. During the 1970's we were invited by a friend that worked at BBC TV centre White city who took us on a tour of the place. His name was Mike Kennedy and in charge at the time of seeing to the 9pm BBC2 news, incoming news, film, photo's ect.  On the tour we watched Cilla Black rehersing for her Cilla Black show. The cast of Colditz also rehersing. We then went for a drink up in the celebs bar. In the there drinking were Cilla Black, Cliff Richard and guess who else, BLoody Jimmy SaVILE.

I thought perhaps you may have known Mike Kennedy a tallish chap with specs, he was a fellow member of Round Table.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Incidentally. During the 1970's we were invited by a friend that worked at BBC TV centre White city who took us on a tour of the place. His name was Mike Kennedy and in charge at the time of seeing to the 9pm BBC2 news, incoming news, film, photo's ect.  On the tour we watched Cilla Black rehersing for her Cilla Black show. The cast of Colditz also rehersing. We then went for a drink up in the celebs bar. In the there drinking were Cilla Black, Cliff Richard and guess who else, BLoody Jimmy SaVILE.

I thought perhaps you may have known Mike Kennedy a tallish chap with specs, he was a fellow member of Round Table.

Cilla, Cliff AND Saville? What a hellish group! 

Just now, Vanessa1402 said:

Never could stand Cilla, all that OTT Scouse accent and fake “I’m one of you” working class chumminess whilst cosying up to the Tories never sat well with me.  

I've read Ricky Tomlinson's autobiography - he was very scathing about how Priscilla White distanced herself from her working class roots. I believe her father was a fellow miner (from memory after a few years, happy to be corrected)

I shall never forget one particular post from a member that asked who's going to look after the rights of white heterosexual men because we're being oppressed now.

After centuries of owning their women I suppose equality feels like oppression.

1 hour ago, Ange said:

I've read Ricky Tomlinson's autobiography - he was very scathing about how Priscilla White distanced herself from her working class roots. I believe her father was a fellow miner (from memory after a few years, happy to be corrected)

Indeed-she made her money from the working class, that’s where her fan base was-yet supported Thatcher in the 80s. Seemed to me she was taking the piss out of the class she cane from. 

47 minutes ago, Ange said:

I shall never forget one particular post from a member that asked who's going to look after the rights of white heterosexual men because we're being oppressed now.

Ha yes- it’s as if equality is a pie and if the ladies get a bigger slice the chaps get less! Doesn’t work like that. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Ange said:

100% equality has not really been achieved yet, but many cases white heterosexual men do have certain disadvantage, but overall the advantage being one is higher.

Think from a man's point of view, parting with huge sums of money after divorce seems unfair (even if in a few cases its the woman who end up losing money to men).

Paying for your children makes sense, but to your ex-wife/ex-husband makes little sense, unless you live in medieval age.

There are substantial advantages in being homosexual male. The possibility of twin high level incomes with no pregnancy breaks opens many doors. There is less pressure to be in"a family" with all the overheads involved, more freedom of choice.

Edited by Boater Sam

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

100% equality has not really been achieved yet, but many cases white heterosexual men do have certain disadvantage, but overall the advantage being one is higher.

Think from a man's point of view, parting with huge sums of money after divorce seems unfair (even if in a few cases its the woman who end up losing money to men).

Paying for your children makes sense, but to your ex-wife/ex-husband makes little sense, unless you live in medieval age.

Why is it unfair?  In those cases, money is awarded because the woman has foregone her own earning potential as a result of marriage and children.  All money earned by a couple in a marriage is jointly owned by the couple.  If you don't like the sound of that, don't get married.

2 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

There are substantial advantages in being homosexual male. The possibility of twin high level incomes with no pregnancy breaks opens many doors. There is less pressure to be in"a family" with all the overheads involved, more freedom of choice.

Go for it then!

27 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

25 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Go for it then!

CBA

Family Planning Advice.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

17 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

There are substantial advantages in being homosexual male. The possibility of twin high level incomes with no pregnancy breaks opens many doors. There is less pressure to be in"a family" with all the overheads involved, more freedom of choice

More chance of homophobic attacks too. 

I don't think anyone is going gay for the extra earning potential ?

9 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Never could stand Cilla, all that OTT Scouse accent and fake “I’m one of you” working class chumminess whilst cosying up to the Tories never sat well with me.  

I've read a few accounts of people meeting Cilla through work and she was awful to them all. Anyone that treats their staff bad is not a nice person.