Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Working in Harrogate and living on a boat is going to severely limit your cruising range.  Easier if its a weekends only boat, but still potentially quite a lot of travel at the beginning and end of the weekends.

I work in education so it’s around 10 weeks hols a year- the 6 weeks summer break in particular would be great for a bit of a lengthy jaunt! 

1 hour ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Hoping to save quite a bit so I can buy my boat and have a bit of savings for maintenance etc!

i live near Harrogate which is hellishly expensive for bricks and mortar so no matter how much it costs it’s got to be better than a house! 

Below is a flat to rent in Harrogate.

I suspect a lot larger and price will compare with a boat on residential moorings.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-76419502.html

3 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Below is a flat to rent in Harrogate.

I suspect a lot larger and price will compare with a boat on residential moorings.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-76419502.html

Perhaps, but living in one room would perhaps be claustrophobic? And I know a narrowboat isn’t roomy but you have the great outdoors right outside. Plus I’m done with renting, it’s too insecure. 
when I say I live in Harrogate, it’s my nearest town. I’m actually in Nidderdale- Pateley Bridge area . It’s an AONB and very pricey. 

This is more typical of where I live, and that’s without council tax and other bills. 

5A569778-B1F7-41CC-9FF8-243A3B4AA296.png

2 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Perhaps, but living in one room would perhaps be claustrophobic? And I know a narrowboat isn’t roomy but you have the great outdoors right outside. Plus I’m done with renting, it’s too insecure. 
when I say I live in Harrogate, it’s my nearest town. I’m actually in Nidderdale- Pateley Bridge area . It’s an AONB and very pricey. 

Renting a mooring is even more insecure.

:)

• Greenie 1

Just now, Laurie.Booth said:

Renting a mooring is even more insecure.

:)

Can moorings be withdrawn with very little notice at the whim of the owner? Even then, surely it’s easier to move your boat to a new mooring than have to nice all your belongings to a new gaff? So you can’t actually lose your home as it belongs to you, you just need to find somewhere else to park it. Much more secure . 

I know quite a few people whose lives have been hugely disrupted by their landlord deciding they want them to leave the property , often giving very little notice. Does this regularly happen to narrowboat owners too? 

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Can moorings be withdrawn with very little notice at the whim of the owner? Even then, surely it’s easier to move your boat to a new mooring than have to nice all your belongings to a new gaff? So you can’t actually lose your home as it belongs to you, you just need to find somewhere else to park it. Much more secure . 

Yes, there is no security with moorings. Plus moorings with liveaboards are hard to find. Do the moorings you are interested allow liveaboards?

Just now, Laurie.Booth said:

Yes, there is no security with moorings. Plus moorings with liveaboards are hard to find. Do the moorings you are interested allow liveaboards?

Yes, definitely. Included in the price is also on land showers, storage, car parking, launderette facilities and facilities to empty your cassette loo if you have one. Also WiFi and pump outs. 

8382AABC-DB83-4625-BFC0-6340C18D0C29.png

0A951A81-6388-4101-B0A0-813B212DD18F.png

Yes, definitely. Included in the price is also on land showers, storage, car parking, launderette facilities and facilities to empty your cassette loo if you have one. Also WiFi and pump outs. 

And post?

Yes, post handling too- see list above. 
is all this not standard with moorings? Seems like it’s all necessary to make a community, which I guess this is one of the attractants of this lifestyle? 

Post usually with residential only.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Post usually with residential only.

Yes, that would make sense- if you weren’t residential you wouldn’t need one? But yes, it comes with post.

worst case scenario, PO Box address is around £30 a month- but tbh I pretty much get all my mail on line anyway- even birthday cards are virtual from friends and family! We’re heading towards a world where hard copy is less and less used, everything will be paperless soon. 

9 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Yes, post handling too- see list above. 
is all this not standard with moorings? Seems like it’s all necessary to make a community, which I guess this is one of the attractants of this lifestyle? 

No very much not standard. Leisure moorings are the most common sort of mooring to find, which are generally just a bit of canal bank to moor your bote on. People do live on them but they are breaking the terms of their rental agreement and generally keep their heads down. 

How much is this residential mooring you listed? My guess would be about £3k per year.

4 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Yes, that would make sense- if you weren’t residential you wouldn’t need one? But yes, it comes with post.

worst case scenario, PO Box address is around £30 a month- but tbh I pretty much get all my mail on line anyway- even birthday cards are virtual from friends and family! We’re heading towards a world where hard copy is less and less used, everything will be paperless soon. 

Mmmm, yes read my ''Imagination is wonderful'' topic.  Folk won't be able to write as well as not reading books anymore. I love my Noddy in Toyland books.

Edited by bizzard

5 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

We’re heading towards a world where hard copy is less and less used, everything will be paperless soon. 

Lol, they've been saying that since the fax machine became common in about 1985.

Try opening a bank account or buying a house using just scans of your passport and all the other ID they demand. You'll get nowhere fast!!!

19 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

8382AABC-DB83-4625-BFC0-6340C18D0C29.png

0A951A81-6388-4101-B0A0-813B212DD18F.png

BWML has recently been sold by CRT. The new owners may want to change things, so continuation of the above is not guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Mmmm, yes read my ''Imagination is wonderful'' topic.  Folk won't be able to write as well as not reading books anymore. I love my Noddy in Toyland books.

Well, I’m a school librarian and our school hasn’t gone down the “tablet” path yet so our students are still very much pens and paper! But still, postal mail will be less and less important as the years go by. 

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

BWML has recently been sold by CRT. The new owners may want to change things, so continuation of the above is not guaranteed.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but if we worried about what disasters might be around the corner we’d never do anything :) 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lol, they've been saying that since the fax machine became common in about 1985.

Try opening a bank account or buying a house using just scans of your passport and all the other ID they demand. You'll get nowhere fast!!!

Well I haven’t had a paper bank statement, bill or even wage slip for easily 10 years! All I ever get through the mail is junk that I could quite easily do without. 

4 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Well, I’m a school librarian and our school hasn’t gone down the “tablet” path yet so our students are still very much pens and paper! But still, postal mail will be less and less important as the years go by. 

Maybe yes, maybe no, but if we worried about what disasters might be around the corner we’d never do anything :) 

Well I haven’t had a paper bank statement, bill or even wage slip for easily 10 years! All I ever get through the mail is junk that I could quite easily do without. 

Well I buy and sell houses regularly and I promise you, we are nowhere NEAR doing it paperlessly!!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I buy and sell houses regularly and I promise you, we are nowhere NEAR doing it paperlessly!!

Im really taking about no post rather than no paper...don’t you email clients instead of posting stuff to them?

even my car insurance is paperless- you log in to view your documents. Tbh, I can’t think of anything I rely on that comes through the post anymore. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

'Twas this I was quibbling about. Not whether the Royal Mail will fall into disuse. 

Ah... I really meant things arriving through the post. But I still think we are moving rapidly towards a paperless society- likewise cash. I only ever use cash at car boots and even that could go one day- quick tap on a mobile phone and eft happens. My daughter is an artist and regularly does art shows-has a little gizmo that takes cards instead of cash. It’s the future, like it or not! 

12 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Ah... I really meant things arriving through the post. But I still think we are moving rapidly towards a paperless society- likewise cash. I only ever use cash at car boots and even that could go one day- quick tap on a mobile phone and eft happens. My daughter is an artist and regularly does art shows-has a little gizmo that takes cards instead of cash. It’s the future, like it or not! 

We might still need a penny for public toilets though.   Definition of panic,   ''Diarrhea and a bent penny.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the Forums, Vanessa.  You seem to have got the measure of some of the regulars already - quite an achievement!   A 30ft boat will be great for summer trips and visits in the winter.  Mine is 27ft and it's great for extended cruises April - Oct, but I think I would find it hard spending a winter on it.  Perhaps 20 years ago, when I was your age........

BTW, I trust you will be changing your avatar on Jan 5th!

3 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Welcome to the Forums, Vanessa.  You seem to have got the measure of some of the regulars already - quite an achievement!   A 30ft boat will be great for summer trips and visits in the winter.  Mine is 27ft and it's great for extended cruises April - Oct, but I think I would find it hard spending a winter on it.  Perhaps 20 years ago, when I was your age........

BTW, I trust you will be changing your avatar on Jan 5th!

Hello! Thanks for the welcome :) 

Of course-bad luck to leave it after the 5th! 
27ft sounds perfect! I’ve been eyeing up boats around that size on line and I think that would suit me perfectly! Have to reserve judgement on the wintering aboard-have only experienced day rentals on fine summer days so far-it’s a whole new world, one I’ll have to live vicariously until I have the necessary funds saved! I’ll get there though :)