Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Ange said:

A deeply unpleasant post. Why be so nasty just because another person has a different set of beliefs?

Yes, you should open your mind, if only to accept they have the right to hold and express their beliefs without fear of riducule.

That's just plain decency, nothing to do with gender

Oh and thank your lucky stars that you've ended up in a financially secure place where you own your own boat. Don't gloat about it - we were there a couple of years ago until ill health on my part shattered our dream.

I agree Ange- why people feel the need to deride other’s life choices is beyond me. 
I’m afraid PD 1964 continues to prove my point with each message. A little self-awareness on his part wouldn’t go amiss. 

• Greenie 1

How thrilling to be met with such firmly held opinions, expressed so vigorously! Who knew an innocent “hello , I’m new here” message would trigger such ire! 
To the majority of you- thank you for the welcome! You seem perfectly lovely and it’s a pleasure to communicate with you. 
To the others....goodness me, you’re easy to wind up! How on early have you got this far in life without spontaneously combusting with righteous indignation I have no idea.  Relax ffs, you’ll do yourselves a mischief. 

• Greenie 1

And when anyone mentions PC (often coupled with snowflake) they're lamenting the times when they could take the mickey out of minorities, which often led to beatings just by making that mindset acceptable. Plus the men and women that set off for work but never came home due to unsafe work practices. Elf and safety is derided by these folks.

4 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

How thrilling to be met with such firmly held opinions, expressed so vigorously! Who knew an innocent “hello , I’m new here” message would trigger such ire! 
To the majority of you- thank you for the welcome! You seem perfectly lovely and it’s a pleasure to communicate with you. 
To the others....goodness me, you’re easy to wind up! How on early have you got this far in life without spontaneously combusting with righteous indignation I have no idea.  Relax ffs, you’ll do yourselves a mischief. 

Lol hello back at you. I'll climb down off my soap box now ?

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Ange said:

And when anyone mentions PC (often coupled with snowflake) they're lamenting the times when they could take the mickey out of minorities, which often led to beatings just by making that mindset acceptable. Plus the men and women that set off for work but never came home due to unsafe work practices. Elf and safety is derided by these folks.

Lol hello back at you. I'll climb down off my soap box now ?

A woman after my own heart! Well said sister :) 

Yes about the PC thing. It comes from the kind of gammon that doesn’t see a prob with toy gollys, the black and white minstrel show or On The Buses! ( indignant response incoming in 5...4...3......)

• Greenie 1

Just hang here please don't let the vocal few drive you away. There's a huge wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum, those folks will pop up when needed. We were so green when we bought our boat in 2008 - we thought we'd researched thoroughly but the learning curve was huge

The people that helped us weren't any that you've encountered so far. They stay quiet until they think they can help, then suddenly pipe up and come up with suggestions to help you.

This forum has a massive resource of amazing people.

Most of them rarely post, but when they do they will help you.

13 minutes ago, Ange said:

Just hang here please don't let the vocal few drive you away. There's a huge wealth of experience and knowledge on this forum, those folks will pop up when needed. We were so green when we bought our boat in 2008 - we thought we'd researched thoroughly but the learning curve was huge

The people that helped us weren't any that you've encountered so far. They stay quiet until they think they can help, then suddenly pipe up and come up with suggestions to help you.

This forum has a massive resource of amazing people.

Most of them rarely post, but when they do they will help you.

Thank you for your kind words- I will indeed stick around x

• Love 1

I had a girl friend once. Driving up Bread and Cheese hill on the A13 going slow because my car was very old, we were having a cuddle. She suddenly said to me, ''I love you Bizzard'', and I went and said, ''and so do I''. She hit me. :mellow:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

I had a girl friend once. Driving up Bread and Cheese hill on the A13 going slow because my car was very old, we were having a cuddle. She suddenly said to me, ''I love you Bizzard'', and I went and said, ''and so do I''. She hit me. :mellow:

As an Essex girl I'm very familiar with Bread and Cheese hill.

You're beautifully random as always ?

Shit did I just admit to being an Essex girl? I normally try to keep that quiet ?

29 minutes ago, Ange said:

Shit did I just admit to being an Essex girl? I normally try to keep that quiet ?

There’s a hill called Bread and Cheese? I love that! 
Are we doing “worst dating experiences?” Because once I went on a date with a guy who pressed something into my hand...(wait for it!) Looking down I saw it was a garish pink lipstick “Wear it for me..” he hissed. I declined date number 2. He was outraged. “It’s not every woman I buy expensive gifts for!” He fumed. It was Rimmel. Frosted pink. And I think we can agree it was a gift for HIM, not for me. 

Edited by Vanessa1402
Spelling

6 hours ago, Ange said:

:offtopic: (as is most of this thread!)

A Barking boy asks.....

Bread and Cheese Hill.

Whereabouts on the A13 is that?

(Cue for a Billy Bragg track?)

11 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Yup- phrase coined by Emma Watson. It’s all over social media, where you been at? 

What’s the sigh for, do you disapprove of a more empowering way of saying “single”? 

" Single " has worked well enough for many many years, there is no need to reinvent the wheel when it works perfectly well.

11 hours ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Ah, so you see that living a “real life” (I.e a life that you have decided is superior to one chosen by others) can be combined with paying attention to things that happen on the internet. 
kind of gets up my nose when people are smug and superior about their lifestyle choices. You are no better or worse than anybody else, including those who choose to follow social media. Even if you have decided to dismiss that as vacuous. 

I cannot folow soshall meeju as I dont have a twelve year old living on the boat.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

" Single " has worked well enough for many many years, there is no need to reinvent the wheel when it works perfectly well.

Ah, but language is constantly evolving- has done for hundreds of years. I quite like “self partnered” as it evokes more of a sense of choice. It’s a lifestyle choice, possibly aligned with asexuality in many cases and in these more enlightened times it’s inevitable that people will find terminology that they feel better suits their situation. 
As an example “spinster” is now pretty much defunct as it has negative connotations. I wouldn’t call myself a spinster as it sounds pretty grim! Perhaps some people find “single” grim too. Now, you may rail against it but it’s really not up to you how people choose to label themselves is it? It causes you no harm. 

Edited by Vanessa1402
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yes, yes, but are you self-partnered?  Apparently this is the new ‘in phrase’ according to someone called Emma. 

Who the hell is Emma? Some silly singer or sommet or is it the kid that played in the childrens films Harry Potter? I have heard of Kardashians so whenever anything appears on the telly or anywhere they are mentioned I switch off, worshipping or indeed following any so called celebrities defies belief.

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Ah, but language is constantly evolving- has done for hundreds of years. I quite like “self partnered” as it evokes more of a sense of choice. It’s a lifestyle choice, possibly aligned with asexuality in many cases and in these more enlightened times it’s inevitable that people will find terminology that they feel better suits their situation. 
As an example “spinster” is now pretty much defunct as it has negative connotations. I wouldn’t call myself a spinster as it sounds pretty grim! Perhaps some people find “single” grim too. Now, you may rail against it but it’s really not up to you hoe people choose to label themselves is it? It causes you no harm. 

Fair enough, but there are far too many things changing that are of no use or make any sense. We now have 500 genders when in reality...................dont get me started on the nonsense of " Gender neutral " or " Gender fluid " :banghead:

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I cannot folow soshall meeju as I dont have a twelve year old living on the boat.

This puzzles me because your style of posting would be such a perfect fit for the political arguments on Facebook and Twitter.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Who the hell is Emma? Some silly singer or sommet or is it the kid that played in the childrens films Harry Potter? I have heard of Kardashians so whenever anything appears on the telly or anywhere they are mentioned I switch off, worshipping or indeed following any so called celebrities defies belief.

Now now, you know very well who Emma Watson is don’t you ? I referred to her using her full name so pleading ignorance in order to appear too “cultured” to be aware of popular culture just won’t wash.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

This puzzles me because your style of posting would be such a perfect fit for the political arguments on Facebook and Twitter.

Nice one Mike :D Thing is I find Farcebook and Twatter beyond belief, people just post any crap on there and weirdos try looking for people from their past :rolleyes: and FOLLOW each other.....Smae with you tube all these noob boaters doing reams of vlogs I think they call them 90 percent of which is wrong and the rest is stuff we have been doing for donkeys years, I wouldnt dream of filming myself and sticking it on any tube. Hey ho they can of course get on with it if they wish.

4 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Now now, you know very well who Emma Watson is don’t you ? I referred to her using her full name so pleading ignorance in order to appear too “cultured” to be aware of popular culture just won’t wash.

The only reason I have heard of her is that these kids are hero worshipped for being on a film and being paid millions when other kids get paid peanuts looking after terminaly ill kids for instance. I know who I have the most respect for. Whilstever society insists in putting these people on a pedestal it will only get worse. 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nice one Mike :D Thing is I find Farcebook and Twatter beyond belief, people just post any crap on there and weirdos try looking for people from their past :rolleyes: and FOLLOW each other.....Smae with you tube all these noob boaters doing reams of vlogs I think they call them 90 percent of which is wrong and the rest is stuff we have been doing for donkeys years, I wouldnt dream of filming myself and sticking it on any tube. Hey ho they can of course get on with it if they wish.

The only reason I have heard of her is that these kids are hero worshipped for being on a film and being paid millions when other kids get paid peanuts looking after terminaly ill kids for instance. I know who I have the most respect for. Whilstever society insists in putting these people on a pedestal it will only get worse. 

You could say the same for footballers I guess? Or CEOs of big business? Plenty of examples of people who are financially rewarded for careers that we may decide are less deserving of reward than others. 

Like it or not (and I don’t) we live in a capitalist society where the ability to make money is rewarded (in fiscal terms) more than the ability to care for one another. Watson and others in her position generates many millions of pounds through ticket sales and is rewarded with her “cut” of the profit. Capitalism. But don’t blame me, I’m a communist :) 

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think you are being very closed-minded over this. Facebook in particular is organised into groups, some of which are totally brilliant, others the complete shyte you describe.  Dismissing the platform because you didn't like some of the content you saw on there is a bit like when W.C. Fields said he doesn't like books because he tried reading one once, and it was rubbish. Except he was joking. There is a TONNE of content on FB you would absolutely LOVE. 

The big reason NOT to use FB that you never mention is privacy. They look at everything else you visit on the net and build a profile of you, establish the things you like then flog this info to advertisers who then target your computa with adverts for stuff they already know you're gonna like. Creepy. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Delete some stray worms

11 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Nope, I was single until the ripe old age of 35 and have now been married for 25 years. 

When I was single, i was just that, single. (Self partnered sounds like a weird form of masturbation IMHO). 

Should i find myself without a husband at anytime I will be, once again SINGLE. 

lol..

Well, people are are constantly using new creative terms to feel positive and good about themselves, self partnered, body positive, curvy, conscious decoupling etc. A lot of women use social media to build a defensive force field of womanhood and the the right way to react to any such word is ' you deserve it honey'... not compare with masturbation. :)

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

You could say the same for footballers I guess? Or CEOs of big business? Plenty of examples of people who are financially rewarded for careers that we may decide are less deserving of reward than others. 

Like it or not (and I don’t) we live in a capitalist society where the ability to make money is rewarded (in fiscal terms) more than the ability to care for one another. Watson and others in her position generates many millions of pounds through ticket sales and is rewarded with her “cut” of the profit. Capitalism. But don’t blame me, I’m a communist :) 

Oh Vanessa you have that spoon out today ??????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you are being very closed-minded over this. Facebook in particular is organised into groups, some of which are totally brilliant, others the complete shyte you describe.  Dismissing the platform because you didn't like some of the content you saw on there you didn't like is a bit like when W.C. Fields said he doesn't like books because he tried reading one once, and it was rubbish. Except he was joking. There is a TONNE of content on FB you would absolutely LOVE. 

The big reason NOT to use FB that you never mention is privacy. They look at everything else you visit on the net and build a profile of you, establish the things you like then flog this info to advertisers who then target your computa with adverts for stuff they already know you'll like. Creepy. 

Indeed. I think there’s a bit of inverse snobbery about “oh I’m above Facebook/Twitter/youtube, it’s all rubbish” that is quite narrow minded. It’s just a medium for information. The MSP are increasingly used as a propaganda machine for government - just one good reason why  we should be glad there’s other means of getting information out there that doesn’t rely on Murdock. 

10 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

lol..

Well, people are are constantly using new creative terms to feel positive and good about themselves, self partnered, body positive, curvy, conscious decoupling etc. A lot of women use social media to build a defensive force field of womanhood and the the right way to react to any such word is ' you deserve it honey'... not compare with masturbation. :)

Indeed. Never ceases to amaze me how cross people get about the terms people use to reflect something about themselves in a way they find empowering or whatever.  I guess it’s ok to be cross if someone invents a term for YOU that you don’t like? Although I’m quite fond of the term “gammon”- is descriptive and has the added bonus of being originally coined by Dickens. Fun fact! 

Edited by Vanessa1402
I made a mistake. Obs.
  • Greenie 1