Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Wow!!  Eight boats. Are they all tied together, must look like Hong Kong harbour. Must be a devil of a job searching for the Mrs on each one, which one you dine on, sleep on, toilet on, do the washing on ect.  Have you and the Mrs had a big row ?  :unsure:

Oy, it does say 8 " Different " boats :P reason being some peeps buy one and have it for years without trying any other format,  or bog type then extoll the virtues of what they have, having never had anything else, therefore having little experience.

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oy, it does say 8 " Different " boats :P reason being some peeps buy one and have it for years without trying any other format,  or bog type then extoll the virtues of what they have, having never had anything else, therefore having little experience.

Oi! Is that aimed at Moi?

14 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If I was having a new boat built for me, I'd have a pump out toilet with a large dump-through tank and an emergency portapotty tucked away somewhere.

That's exactly what we did - except we had a big enough bathroom to find a place for the portapotti we bought from Lidl for not very much money.

It's a great compromise, but I would reiterate dump through rather than macerator, the simpler it is the less can go wrong.

PS welcome Vanessa - I've hung on here despite the chauvinism that has driven so many good women away. I can name at least 7 that I've actually met in person who had so much to contribute but gave up.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ange said:

PS welcome - I've hung on here despite the chauvinism that has driven so many good women away. I can name at least 7 that I've actually met in person who had so much to contribute but gave up.

Hi Ange

That is such a shame, no sorry its annoying, why should it matter the genda of a contributor. we all have the right to express our opinions and agree or disagree with others, but none of us have the right to personally attack someone for their genda, colour, sexual orientation, religion etc we are all people.

sorry rant over

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

All posts on here are of each person's own opinion. However just as a for instance we have lived aboard over thirty years on 8 different boats so have more idea than plenty of the noobs who stick stuff on such as you tube. All opinions are valid but....? 

I do ponder on this sometimes. I remember Martin Gilligan aka MJG was always so apparently knowledgeable about boats but actually hired a few times, bought one boat which he rarely used then sold it as soon as the realities of the costs of boat ownership kicked in. Despite this always adamant he knew everything about boat ownership and very believable to a newby.

Maybe we should have a boaty CV so folks can assess our experience and the relevance of our advice? ?

8 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Hi Ange

That is such a shame, no sorry its annoying, why should it matter the genda of a contributor. we all have the right to express our opinions and agree or disagree with others, but none of us have the right to personally attack someone for their genda, colour, sexual orientation, religion etc we are all people.

sorry rant over

I agree and dearly hope the next generation will move on from such anachronisms

Unfortunately when young people appear on this forum they are shouted down and chased away with the same set of prejudices.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, AWETHEAYET said:

Thank you for expanding my vocabulary and once I get the "Spial chucker" to work I'll be fine. :)

Google is your friend - I must confess I did a quick Google after your post just to check I hadn't made an arse of myself but I'm good with that word ?

And believe me I'm no stranger to making an arse of myself and getting stuff wrong

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Ange said:

Google is your friend - I must confess I did a quick Google after your post just to check I hadn't made an arse of myself but I'm good with that word ?

And believe me I'm no stranger to making an arse of myself and getting stuff wrong

that word does not really fit... canalworld is old people's world where conservatism and old style sexism is to be expected(if not tolerated)...

There’s more nice people on here than not nice people. I have been confronted many a time by others. It’s a computer based discussion forum. Like a telly, I have a choice. It’s a big, massive enormous shame that people, man, bloke, lady, woman or lass and others feel the need to leave. I like the variety of people.

One such poster, a lass, used what could and was, termed as childish and annoying words in her posts. A couple of posters mentioned this and we lost a completely sensible contributor. Her posts were constructive and at time humorous.

Even ‘friends’ can get up your nose at times. Hey ho!  

Hope the OP stays regardless of strong opinions being expressed.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

One such poster, a lass, used what could and was, termed as childish and annoying words in her posts. A couple of posters mentioned this and we lost a completely sensible contributor. Her posts were constructive and at time humorous.

TREE!!!!

Makes that six women I know in real life who have left the forum due unpleasant abuse and sexism. The abuse Tree got for her style of writing was outrageous.

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

TREE!!!!

Makes that six women I know in real life who have left the forum due unpleasant abuse and sexism. The abuse Tree got for her style of writing was outrageous.

there is quite a bit of unpleasant exchange in political threads.

Am not denying sexism but I think its possible that those 6 women expected them to be treated slightly better(online equivalent of... dont swear around a lady), which did not happen, because people dont care about your gender online.

9 hours ago, Ange said:

That's exactly what we did - except we had a big enough bathroom to find a place for the portapotti we bought from Lidl for not very much money.

It's a great compromise, but I would reiterate dump through rather than macerator, the simpler it is the less can go wrong.

PS welcome Vanessa - I've hung on here despite the chauvinism that has driven so many good women away. I can name at least 7 that I've actually met in person who had so much to contribute but gave up.

Ahh but Ange, you is a PROPER woman innitt, you can out sup most of us whimps on Newky Brown :D

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Oh! Don’t know about that. I like a bit of Newky Brown.

Have you not heard of the court case? Well a decision was made to stop brewing Newky Brown as the sales had fallen dramaticaly for a two week period. Ange took the brewer to court and proved that the two week period was when she was on holiday out of the country and on her return the sales had indeed gone up again with a bang. She won the case hence Newky Brown still being available.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Have you not heard of the court case? Well a decision was made to stop brewing Newky Brown as the sales had fallen dramaticaly for a two week period. Ange took the brewer to court and proved that the two week period was when she was on holiday out of the country and on her return the sales had indeed gone up again with a bang. She won the case hence Newky Brown still being available.

Respect. 
my eldest lives in Maidstone. I can feel a sesh coming on. However, as Ange is a non boater, sadly, now I bet she’s out of condition. There’s a chance for me.

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

there is quite a bit of unpleasant exchange in political threads.

Am not denying sexism but I think its possible that those 6 women expected them to be treated slightly better(online equivalent of... dont swear around a lady), which did not happen, because people dont care about your gender online.

Yes, I know plenty of male forum members who have left because of what they felt was unpleasantness and abuse, but if happens to a woman some people automatically put it down to sexism and even count and make a list of the number of women who have left. We don't do that for men.

I remember Bones flying off the handle and having a right go at me once for explaining how to do a job. She was on about sexism and mansplaining, but up to that point I didn't actually know she was a woman and had assumed Bones was a bloke - sexism in itself some might say, but certainly not the sexism she was claiming. Some people both male and female, can become hypersensitive when it comes to perceived discrimination.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

Respect. 
my eldest lives in Maidstone. I can feel a sesh coming on. However, as Ange is a non boater, sadly, now I bet she’s out of condition. There’s a chance for me.

Then let the Bishop be you're shepherd and lead you to Faversham.