Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Indeed. I think there’s a bit of inverse snobbery about “oh I’m above Facebook/Twitter/youtube, it’s all rubbish” that is quite narrow minded.

Yes and it reminds me of those other types of snobbery one sometimes hears, usually from intelligent and well off upper middle class well educated peeps ('BBC presenter' types if you will), "Oh I can't be doing with computers, they are a mystery to me". No they are not, you are just refusing to get to grips with computers so you can say it for social effect! Grrr.... 

21 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nice one Mike :D Thing is I find Farcebook and Twatter beyond belief, people just post any crap on there and weirdos try looking for people from their past :rolleyes: and FOLLOW each other.....Smae with you tube all these noob boaters doing reams of vlogs I think they call them 90 percent of which is wrong and the rest is stuff we have been doing for donkeys years, I wouldnt dream of filming myself and sticking it on any tube. Hey ho they can of course get on with it if they wish.

The only reason I have heard of her is that these kids are hero worshipped for being on a film and being paid millions when other kids get paid peanuts looking after terminaly ill kids for instance. I know who I have the most respect for. Whilstever society insists in putting these people on a pedestal it will only get worse. 

youtube narrowboat vlogs are the only way I can get vicarious pleasure of narrowboating... till I can afford it... the other day cruisingthecut guy was telling he has a subscriber from kazakhstan.. imagine you living in middle of nowhere still being able to see the pleasure of narrowboat.. is it not brilliant?

Edited by restlessnomad

6 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Indeed. I think there’s a bit of inverse snobbery about “oh I’m above Facebook/Twitter/youtube, it’s all rubbish” that is quite narrow minded. It’s just a medium for information. The MSP are increasingly used as a propaganda machine for government - just one good reason why  we should be glad there’s other means of getting information out there that doesn’t rely on Murdock. 

What the hell do members of the Scottish Parliament have to do with Farcebook?

1 minute ago, restlessnomad said:

youtube narrowboat vlogs are the only way I can get vicarious pleasure of narrowboating... till I can afford it...

Do you own a house?

2 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Although I’m quite fond of the term “gammon”- is descriptive and has the added bonus of being originally coined by Shakespeare. Fun fact! 

This term is new to me, I only first heard it a couple of months ago! What is it exactly?

(I'd google it but I'm terrible with computers, they're mystery to me. You do it for me! ;) )

I used to sometimes cycle to Leigh-On-Sea to my boat along the A13 from Chadwell Heath, about 30 miles. By the time I got to Bread and Cheese hill I was getting tired and halfway up it would have to dismount and walk the bike up. When dismounting a bike after a long distance struggle against the wind and then a steep hill, its a lovely feeling. Different leg muscles seem to be used for walking vs bicycling, you sort of spring along, light as air longing for a cheese sandwich to boost my strength.  My big ambition at the time was to surmount that hill without dismounting, and wiz in great style and glee down the other side of it.  I never achieved it. :mellow:

Just now, restlessnomad said:

yes I do, and am NOT selling it... no way.. not happening.. never

Ahh so there you go. You have a choice and can afford to go boating but choose not to. Best thing we ever did was ridding ourselves of the house with all the freedom it entails. The difference is that when I die I will not have a house to leave behind I will have a boat, you will have a house :cheers:

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This term is new to me, I only first heard it a couple of months ago! What is it exactly?

(I'd google it but I'm terrible with computers, they're mystery to me. You do it for me! ;) )

Tsk, idle! OK-

The term refers to someone excitedly and wildly expressing a point with minimal detail and much bluster, while exposing their ignorance on the subject under discussion; in particular, the colour of such a person's flushed face is compared to the type of pork of the same name.[1][4]

Charles Dickens used the word in broadly the same context in his 1838 novel, Nicholas Nickleby:[5]

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

• Greenie 1

Tsk, idle! OK-

The term refers to someone excitedly and wildly expressing a point with minimal detail and much bluster, while exposing their ignorance on the subject under discussion; in particular, the colour of such a person's flushed face is compared to the type of pork of the same name.[1][4]

Charles Dickens used the word in broadly the same context in his 1838 novel, Nicholas Nickleby:[5]

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

Thank you! 

Intriguingly, that is not the meaning I've had explained to me in the past. That it means a gentleman of a 'certain age', the type one sees who is well off, well dressed, and well scrubbed to the point his face is bright pink in colour, the colour of an uncooked gammon joint. Often on a golf course. 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes and it reminds me of those other types of snobbery one sometimes hears, usually from intelligent and well off upper middle class well educated peeps ('BBC presenter' types if you will), "Oh I can't be doing with computers, they are a mystery to me". No they are not, you are just refusing to get to grips with computers so you can say it for social effect! Grrr.... 

Absolutely.

We have a tendency in this country to equate a “classical” education with superior intellect- probably due to the class system - and part of that is this “oh I hate computers, give me a second hand book shop any day!”

Now, I enjoy a second hand book shop as much as the next Librarian (i.e less than you’d think) but to dismiss what the internet can do for us by pretending it’s just there for dumbed down pursuits is inverse snobbery at its finest. But then, we don’t like change do we? 

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Ahh so there you go. You have a choice and can afford to go boating but choose not to. Best thing we ever did was ridding ourselves of the house with all the freedom it entails. The difference is that when I die I will not have a house to leave behind I will have a boat, you will have a house :cheers:

I dont want to compare, its possible that I am super conservative when it comes to personal finance, also every day I see homeless people, a reminder something can easily happen to me. I have zero faith in govt or society to bail me out. As somebody born into poverty I am determined not to be poor.

Anyway, am not saying you are wrong in the way you do things but just that youtube narrowboat vlogs are good source of entertainment and education for me.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you! 

Intriguingly, that is not the meaning I've had explained to me in the past. That it means a gentleman of a 'certain age', the type one sees who is well off, well dressed, and well scrubbed to the point his face is bright pink in colour, the colour of an uncooked gammon joint. Often on a golf course. 

Nah, it’s more getting enraged by things (such as Piers Morgan getting cross about vegan sausage rolls) that are really not worth stressing about or are completely misunderstood by the “gammon” in question. Usually gammons call others “snowflakes” for getting distressed at things like, of I dunno, casual racism, with no trace of irony at all. Lot of them about. 

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I dont want to compare, its possible that I am super conservative when it comes to personal finance, also every day I see homeless people, a reminder something can easily happen to me. I have zero faith in govt or society to bail me out. As somebody born into poverty I am determined not to be poor.

Anyway, am not saying you are wrong in the way you do things but just that youtube narrowboat vlogs are good source of entertainment and education for me.

I have a daughter who herself admits she would love to do what we did all those years ago but she says she is too materialistic ( her words ) and wants to own property. Fair enough, her choice but I have found it far more liberating having no ties. We did for years keep a house in a harbour in Cornwall for holidays and days away but used it less and less so binned it. Wouldnt do for us all to be the same innitt.

• Greenie 1

Nah, it’s more getting enraged by things (such as Piers Morgan getting cross about vegan sausage rolls) that are really not worth stressing about or are completely misunderstood by the “gammon” in question. Usually gammons call others “snowflakes” for getting distressed at things like, of I dunno, casual racism, with no trace of irony at all. Lot of them about. 

Yeah I geddit now, thanks!

Now, about those vegan sausage rolls. For a start, they are a monumental misnomer..... ...............

2 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

The missus was just looking on teletext news ( brilliant invention ) and there she showed me an article on some eejut who described herself as " Pan sexual " and there fore her new " partner " was also female. Now sorry but they are lesbians, theres nowt wrong with that but why deny it and use some modern phrase to paper over it? Homosexuality is not a problem.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The missus was just looking on teletext news ( brilliant invention ) and there she showed me an article on some eejut who described herself as " Pan sexual " and there fore her new " partner " was also female. Now sorry but they are lesbians, theres nowt wrong with that but why deny it and use some modern phrase to paper over it? Homosexuality is not a problem.

I think it’s up to the individual to use the term they feel most comfortable with and not for others to tell them which term they should be using. IMO. 

News headlines this morning declared someone I've never heard of has decided she is 'Pansexual'. Thinking it may involve kitchen equipment I thought I'd look for a definition :

"not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity".

Is that different to 'bi-sexual' for which the definition appears to be :

"sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender; attracted to both men and women".

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Written whilst Smelly was posting - great minds !

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You obviously didn't read the news article properly.

I gets my news from the BBC, a far superior source that feek peeps wouldn't really understand.... ?

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I hope she never hears the term sapiosexual..   :)

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Now now, you know very well who Emma Watson is don’t you ?

Sorry, no idea. Why should I know her and why should I care what she thinks?

Oh, I see from other posts that she’s an actress. I don’t believe I’ve seen her in anything though?

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You obviously didn't read the news article properly.

I gets my news from the BBC, a far superior source that feek peeps wouldn't really understand.... ?

BBC weather forecasts are lubbish. A strange thing with them is that there's never ever the tiniest mention of the weather in Southern Ireland, totally by-passed, always UK Northern Ireland, like it didn't exist at all. There could be terrible floods, ice, fog, earthquakes, tornado's there but never a mention, totally ignored, and yet they happily go on about a typhoon in Singapore, forest fires in Borneo, Skiing weather in Austria, Volcano's errupting in Iceland, tidal wave in Bangladesh. Hailstones as big as footballs in Canvey Island, thick fog at Mumbie airport and stuff like that, but no mention of the poor old free states weather.

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

News headlines this morning declared someone I've never heard of has decided she is 'Pansexual'. Thinking it may involve kitchen equipment I thought I'd look for a definition :

"not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity".

Is that different to 'bi-sexual' for which the definition appears to be :

"sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender; attracted to both men and women".

does bisexual covert attraction to transgender ppl?

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

BBC weather forecasts are lubbish. A strange thing with them is that there's never ever the tiniest mention of the weather in Southern Ireland, totally by-passed, always UK Northern Ireland, like it didn't exist at all. There could be terrible floods, ice, fog, earthquakes, tornado's there but never a mention, totally ignored, and yet they happily go on about a typhoon in Singapore, forest fires in Borneo, Skiing weather in Austria, Volcano's errupting in Iceland, tidal wave in Bangladesh. Hailstones as big as footballs in Canvey Island, thick fog at Mumbie airport and stuff like that, but no mention of the poor old free states weather.

yeah, now that you say... it does seem odd.

Just now, restlessnomad said:

does bisexual covert attraction to transgender ppl?

I have absolutely no idea, hence me looking up definitions.

As I said previously I must have been born "out of my time", I just struggle to comprehend all of these various 'classes' of people, is it just to be able to claim something ? (discrimination, funding, etc) 

Yes, language evolves but this seeming endless introduction of new 'made-up' words means I often have little idea what is actually being discussed, throw in all this 'text-talk', ROFLAMO etc and I get all discombobulated.

I also have no idea who Emma Watson is - it seems presumptuous to me to say "Now, now, you know very well who Emma Watson is don’t you ?" because I don't.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have absolutely no idea, hence me looking up definitions.

As I said previously I must have been born "out of my time", I just struggle to comprehend all of these various 'classes' of people, is it just to be able to claim something ? (discrimination, funding, etc) 

Yes, language evolves but this seeming endless introduction of new 'made-up' words means I often have little idea what is actually being discussed, throw in all this 'text-talk', ROFLAMO etc and I get all discombobulated.

I also have no idea who Emma Watson is - it seems presumptuous to me to say "Now, now, you know very well who Emma Watson is don’t you ?" because I don't.

well, all words are made up and emma watson is harry potter's girlfriend... but I understand what you are saying.... its difficult to keep up with popular culture when you are not actively into it.