Vanessa1402

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

I will- the marina I have my eye on is next to a bird sanctuary- it runs beside the canal with huts you can watch the birds from out on the wetland. Quite the most beautiful walk that I’ve yet to explore to the very end. 
The marina itself used to be more open, you could go inside and look at the “boats for sale” board. It’s much more secure  now, so you can’t just wander in. A good thing for the residents I guess, but less easy for be to have a chat with boat owners 

You could correspond by pigeon post in there, and recieve Polka dot paintwork.

Little birdie flying high

Dropped a message from the sky

Said the farmer wiping his eye

Thank God the cows don't fly.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

A man of you intellect can't work it out even with all your extensive use of google? I mean TBF it's not rocket science. 

I did google it and found Transport Benevolent Fund.

Maybe my Google is programmed to look for real words and not 'slang'.

Certainly the Google Adverts I get seem to be linked to my googling history and tastes, all Googles are not the same

What Does Google Know About You?

9 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Not smoke signals? 

They're reserved for Red Indians. Read Arther Ransomes ''Pigeon Post'' it explains in detail how to keep and train pigeons and how to carry dispatches.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

They're reserved for Red Indians. Read Arther Ransomes ''Pigeon Post'' it explains in detail how to keep and train pigeons and how to carry dispatches.

Hmmmm....well, I do like pigeons tbf...

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I did google it and found Transport Benevolent Fund.

Maybe my Google is programmed to look for real words and not 'slang'.

Certainly the Google Adverts I get seem to be linked to my googling history and tastes, all Googles are not the same

What Does Google Know About You?

Again...context, inference...

In the context of the sentence is it likely to be Transport Benevolent Fund?  I’d stop trying to disprove the impression that you

were just trying to make a point if I were you. 

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

1 minute ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Pigeons and Bumble bees are I believe the fastest creatures on earth, flying horizontally in a straight line, 90mph plus, the beeline. faster than and more reliable than Royal mail too. Although I don't think Bumble bees could be trained to ''home''  Nor would it bee easy to attach a dispatch to their tiny legs.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

Pigeons and Bumble bees are I believe the fastest creatures on earth, flying horizontally in a straight line, 90mph plus, the beeline. faster than and more reliable than Royal mail too. Although I don't think Bumble bees could be trained to ''home''  Nor would it bee easy to attach a dispatch to their tiny legs.

I think bees are too rebellious to cooperate in the way that pigeons do. Pigeons clearly have an unhealthy obsession with humanity.. all that hanging around densely populated areas and cosying up to statues when no actual flesh and blood humans are around. They can be persuaded to carry messages for is because they are essentially speckled sycophants. Bees on the other hand? Rebels. Mavericks. Nobody’s plaything. 

23 minutes ago, Vanessa1402 said:

Not smoke signals? 

Pigeons by Spike Milligan.

Due to pigeons

That alight

On Nelsons hat

That makes it white.

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Pigeons by Spike Milligan.

Due to pigeons

That alight

On Nelsons hat

That makes it white.

There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in
But they're ever so small
That's why the rain is thin.

by Spike Milligan

On the Ning Nang Nong
Where the Cows go Bong!
and the monkeys all say BOO!
There's a Nong Nang Ning 
Where the trees go Ping!
And the tea pots jibber jabber joo.
On the Nong Ning Nang 
All the mice go Clang 
And you just can't catch 'em when they do!
So its Ning Nang Nong
Cows go Bong!
Nong Nang Ning
Trees go ping
Nong Ning Nang
The mice go Clang
What a noisy place to belong
is the Ning Nang Ning Nang Nong!!

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

There are holes in the sky
Where the rain gets in
But they're ever so small
That's why the rain is thin.

by Spike Milligan

Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
I'll draw a sketch of thee.
What kind of pencil shall I use?
2B or not 2B?

by Spike Milligan 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

Not all narrowboaters are like the nastiest of the ones you've encountered here, there is a variety just as you will find in most walks of life. 

I strongly recommend that you go out and about down the canals in the area that you want to be, go for walks down the tow path, just generally explore and get to know the area and then getting to know the people will just fall into place; that way you get a real feel for it and will know if it really is what you want. 

I highly recommend a trip to a Black's outdoors shop to buy a decent pair of walking boots cos this is a good time of year to try out the canal lifestyle. 

I'd like to think that you won't abandon the forum all together but what ever you decide to do just remember there are many different people living in many different ways on the canals for many different reasons, your reasons or ways are as legitimate as anybody else's. 

Above and also backing the kind words of MTB

Lots of good local ish places to meet narrowboat owners,

Stanley Ferry (park in ferry boat PH car park) you can walk for almost a mile and talk to boaters on the tow path (both sides) I have a couple of friends who live there and love to chat, although they have to close the blinds when eating because some gongoozelers thing its feeding time at the zoo. There is also a nature reserve there.

Lemonroyde is now appointment only. Woodlesford is very pleasant and a small but very friendly community (they do have activities within the community)

I personally like Savile town Dewsbury, visited both by car and boat., quote from the cut -  "Wi luk afta each uther in here"

Gargrave is nice but not many perminant boats, ones we met were helpful but didn't have a very nice word for the local youth, personally I thought they were ok.

Aspley (Huddersfield), stayed a couple of times here and was made to feel very welcome, We were invited to moor on one of the private spots so we were on the "right side" of the canal.

There are loads more, Yorkshire is a wounderful place for good, honest, diverse people (Visist Hebbon Bridge, wind chime or dream catcher ever other shop, bread & milk walk for miles - love it been by boat about six times)

Yes there are a scattering of those mentioned before but eh stuff the lastards its their glass that's half empty not yours "fill it up lass and gu fo it"

• Greenie 1