I never did like Steve Haywood

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Murflynn said:

I have little experience of canals but 62 years experience of the Thames.  There is always a slight current except in the lock cut and it is always far easier to moor up by making a ferry glide, letting the stream move you gently into the mooring slot which could be just 6 inches longer than your boat.

Absolutely and if often impresses the blazer and white slacks mob when you slide a 56ft narrowboat into such a gap - that is after them panicking as you slide your orid black hull in their general direction.

Did  something like this on the Severn at Lower Lode one year, only there were 4 of us abreast.

I filled the gap, another 60 footer tied up to me, the 70 footer went outside him, overlapping the gin palaces a bit, but well clear,  and then a 50ft BCN ice breaker/tug  hanging off the outside.

All done 1, 2, 3, 4 and tied up smartly with  no mooring space wasted.  The look on the face of the woman on the downstream boat was a picture.  We retired to the pub.

N

• 1 month later...