Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

On 31/08/2023 at 15:52, Stroudwater1 said:

Access utilities or not its been sold - was on the for sale sign as we passed by late last week. 

Passed by Somerstown Deep again and 14 days later the sold signs have gone, so still for sale at £400k.

Drinking canal water despite UV and other treatments doesn’t appeal despite the saying that Thames water has been through a few peoples bodies before reaching the sea 😱

7 minutes ago, Grassman said:

On the Staffs & Worcs near Penkridge. Strangely there's no photos showing the M6 Motorway 20 metres from their garden 🙂

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137159375#/?channel=RES_BUY

Blimey! You're not wrong.

Towpath side so no mooring, and constant noise from the elevated motorway. How can that be worth nigh on a million?

Screenshot_20230916-151259_SamsungInternet.jpg.31f19f13b985f8d85b8fce0d3a01caa0.jpg

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The noise may be less than imagined as it’s some way below the motorway. Still not appealing though for the price 😂

As the agent says, it is a sought after place and is a substantial property. That said, it seems to have, for me, a serious bathroom/shower/loo deficit. Having walked from the station along that road to what was Teddesley boatyard, as well as cruised the canal many times, I do not recall it as being as noisy as might be imagined. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the lock cottage is not listed. Argument for knocking it down and putting a new dwelling further from the side of the lock assuming it would be allowed. Oxford college charge £1100 per annum for vehicle access? 

I feel the fact this place has previously been burnt out could possibly indicate it is not an especially pleasant area to have a remote house. 

As I recall it the house is also quite near the M40 with considerable noise levels. 

I wonder if one could put a wall along the lockside then build another dwelling further in. This would improve security and also privacy. 

Lock cottages look pretty but must be a nightmare to live in. 

That one near Kings Langley is noisy too. I always thought perhaps a good place for a deaf person to live. 

I imagine the pm2.5 from the tyres must be a factor a well when so close to an M road. 

One way to get away from the noise might be to have a cellar also a nice cool place to withdraw to in summer. 

I wonder how an ecohome would go down with the planners. 

I'd put this on top and excavate a circular underground room as well. 

Screenshot_2023-08-21-08-36-03-202_com.android.chrome.jpg.ef65a7a321adec6e6042f61342dd1359.jpg

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Interesting that the lock cottage is not listed. Argument for knocking it down and putting a new dwelling further from the side of the lock assuming it would be allowed. Oxford college charge £1100 per annum for vehicle access? 

I feel the fact this place has previously been burnt out could possibly indicate it is not an especially pleasant area to have a remote house. 

As I recall it the house is also quite near the M40 with considerable noise levels. 

I wonder if one could put a wall along the lockside then build another dwelling further in. This would improve security and also privacy. 

Lock cottages look pretty but must be a nightmare to live in. 

It does not feel like a bad area round there, though is only a good walk/cycle from town. I heard a rumour that there was some sort of dispute between the owner and a local which might be the source of the fire.

I would be very unhappy about investing any money in that property until a long term guarantee of access was established with a one off payment rather than rent. 

• Greenie 1

Yes the road access is certainly interesting. I imagine as Oxford university arrr getting £1,100 a yar currently a permanent easement might not be very cheap. 

Tricky one because presumably they would only negotiate with the owner and once you bought it then it is a bit late if you do want access as they have then got you over a barrel.

There is a lock house on the K&A which is no access and off grid and they bring all their shopping in on a little pontoon/boat collected from the next bridge up, but its a rather nicer location so probably worth the extra effort. A mooring might make this Oxford cottage a bit more attractive

1 hour ago, dmr said:

There is a lock house on the K&A which is no access and off grid and they bring all their shopping in on a little pontoon/boat collected from the next bridge up, but its a rather nicer location so probably worth the extra effort. A mooring might make this Oxford cottage a bit more attractive

Isn't that up for sale as well?   Head on wrong way round, sorry. Was thinking of the oxford again

Edited by ditchcrawler