Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Along with authentic privvies at the end of the garden, no indoor plumbing nor heating save for a single open fire etc etc.

I know what he means though. Old Dr. Lee's house a few doors up from us sold before Xmas, a building firm has been in since then and are completely gutting it out. All the ornate plasterwork, ceiling roses, picture rails, dado rails, fireplaces, oak panelled study, sash windows ripped out and either smashed up into the skip or burned in a big pile in the garden. Several large trees removed to make the garden bigger, stone flags removed and sold off. It's now having all the rooms flat plastered and UPVC windows fitted. Absolute shame :( 

• Sad 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

I know what he means though. Old Dr. Lee's house a few doors up from us sold before Xmas, a building firm has been in since then and are completely gutting it out. All the ornate plasterwork, ceiling roses, picture rails, dado rails, fireplaces, oak panelled study, sash windows ripped out and either smashed up into the skip or burned in a big pile in the garden. Several large trees removed to make the garden bigger, stone flags removed and sold off. It's now having all the rooms flat plastered and UPVC windows fitted. Absolute shame :( 

Dr Lee at Golcar.

Would that be R.P. Lee who used to be the librarian for the Narrow Gauge Railway Society?

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

The question is, would you have happily lived in it as it was?

I agree to an extent re ceiling roses etc but much else is just personsl taste and fashion.

On 25/04/2023 at 14:43, Hudds Lad said:

I don't entirely disagree but, to put the other side, if the property were something historically/culturally significant then it would be listed and any substantial changes would have to get past the ever vigilant heritage officer. 

Many of our older buildings are interesting just because they evolved over their lifetime so far. To fossilise something in a particular point in time is almost as sacrilegious as the original allegation.

Equally, if a property is to be maintained (even m ore so if it is listed and hence more expensive) then it requires an appropriate current usage (typically in our context) somewhere that is desirable for living in by folk who can afford the upkeep. Just because a building is list does not mean that 'someone else' is going to fund the maintenance.

It seems to me, just from the sale particulars, that there is a case to be considered that these objectives have been met in this case. Even if it is not the way I would have wanted to do it for myself.

Not canal side but River Nene side the house alongside Lilford Lock is for sale at £1,750,000 . I don't know how to do the link thing but I'm sure someone on here can find it on Rightmove and add it. Comes with plenty of space for moorings . The surrounding trees make it so dark that every time I pass by all the lights are on in the house .

19 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Not canal side but River Nene side the house alongside Lilford Lock is for sale at £1,750,000 . I don't know how to do the link thing but I'm sure someone on here can find it on Rightmove and add it. Comes with plenty of space for moorings . The surrounding trees make it so dark that every time I pass by all the lights are on in the house .

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/131778653#/?

• 2 weeks later...

That actually looks quite a good lock cottage to buy, if you must buy one. 

Lock landing on the opposite side of the cut, and an awkward land route to the cottage for any passing scrotes or boater-scrotes thinking bad thoughts about interfering. 

Still looks like most of them though, all the personality squeezed out of it by a thick and unsympathetic developer/builder.

On 06/05/2023 at 22:14, MtB said:

Lock landing on the opposite side of the cut, and an awkward land route to the cottage for any passing scrotes or boater-scrotes thinking bad thoughts about interfering. 

Still looks like most of them though, all the personality squeezed out of it by a thick and unsympathetic developer/builder.

We viewed that a few years ago when we were moving from Rode Heath. It's a lovely property but a bit too close to the M6 (noise) for our liking.

good place for deaf people maybe. 

Another good place for deaf people is that rather nice little cottage by North Grove lock on the GU. A stone's throw from the 25 and the link road from Watford. Shockingly noisy. 

Yars ago I saw a tiger in a field there when there was a circus on. Good security. 

I'd not live in a lock cottage but some of the original unspoilt ones are quite pleasant to see. 

Edited by magnetman

29 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yars ago I saw a tiger in a field

A terrible shame to see that. I had a tiger for a while, yonks ago.

Handled like a pig with that big cast iron V8 under the bonnet.

On 06/05/2023 at 22:14, MtB said:

40 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'd not live in a lock cottage but some of the original unspoilt ones are quite pleasant to see. 

I agree, lock cottages are nice to look at as you pass by or work the lock, but I wouldn't want to live in one or even stay in one for a holiday. 

Oddly some people have the same thought about boats on the canals!🤔😲

6 hours ago, MtB said:

A terrible shame to see that. I had a tiger for a while, yonks ago.

Handled like a pig with that big cast iron V8 under the bonnet.

The Sunbeam Tiger was the first car I really lusted after when I left school and joined the real world - never got one but never forgot them

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

The Sunbeam Tiger was the first car I really lusted after when I left school and joined the real world - never got one but never forgot them

I had a Sunbeam Alpine, same body as the Tiger, with a 1725cc engine.  Sadly, it suffered with rust, but was good fun while it lasted.

On 26/04/2023 at 17:17, Cheshire cat said:

The Vol lockie at the top of the Atherstone flight told me yesterday that the lock keepers house has been sold subject to contract. The new owner was talking of letting it out with Airbnb.

Coleshill Road, Atherstone - Mark Webster & Co. (markwebsterandco.co.uk)

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Correct.

Grassman was prolly thinking about the MGB V8. A far more modern contraption. 

No, I was talking about a Leyland Tiger Bus 😀.

I had a mate who owned one and I sometimes took people out for trips on it.

image.jpeg.33234db48f950e5340fa731e04187f48.jpeg

15 hours ago, MtB said:

Correct.

Grassman was prolly thinking about the MGB V8. A far more modern contraption. 

No he was probably thinking about the Leyland bus called the Tiger, which predated the Sunbeam Alpine with a Ford V8 in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Tiger_(front-engined)

Ah I see Grassman has already confirmed this. Teach me to read the entire thread before responding.

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

No, I was talking about a Leyland Tiger Bus 😀.

I had a mate who owned one and I sometimes took people out for trips on it.

image.jpeg.33234db48f950e5340fa731e04187f48.jpeg

My maternal grandad was a bus and coach driver, so I knew most of buses from the 50's, 60's and early 70's

Edited by cuthound
premature posting and to add spaces between merged posts