Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I didn't realise it was so far north to have frost this time of the year 😄

1 hour ago, RAP said:

£275k looks a bargain, until you see this is the "Guide Price" for sale by auction.

From the listing:

"•Guide prices given are indications within 10% upwards or downwards of where the reserve price may be set at the time of going to print. Please note they are not an indication of the anticipated sale price or a valuation."\

My bet it there is a reserve of £300k. 

5 hours ago, MtB said:

£275k looks a bargain, until you see this is the "Guide Price" for sale by auction.

From the listing:

"•Guide prices given are indications within 10% upwards or downwards of where the reserve price may be set at the time of going to print. Please note they are not an indication of the anticipated sale price or a valuation."\

My bet it there is a reserve of £300k. 

Priced low to attract bidders, the come on price.

3 hours ago, Peanut said:

Priced low to attract bidders, the come on price.

Yes, that was my point exactly.

The £275k headline price on the listing is not the price you can buy it for. 

I like the cottage at Gade Bank/Cassio bridge lock. It seems to be an original unspoilt GU lock house. 

Not the best lock in terms of boat traffic as it is deep so probably quite noisy in the house and a water point immediately above for boats. 

Lot Mead which is bigger and somewhat butchered was on market for a whopping £1.5 million or something silly recently. 

That one at Cassio bridge must be closer to £500k than £275k. 

Not that I am an expert in any way. I wonder what the land ownership is around the garden area. 

Another look at the Gade Bank cottage shows massive flytipping in the garden. It seems to be quite a large garden and there is a vehicle access including parking area so one could get skips in there assuming the canal bank access road doesn't have a weight restriction.

Presumably there has been some sort of homeless camp in there at some point. I remember an old BW geyser living there about 20 yars ago but the front entrance is now fenced orf. 

Nice project for someone who wants to live in such a place. 

Beware of bandits around there. 

Edited by magnetman

53 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Beware of bandits around there. 

I think bandits are a widespread problem where lock cottages are concerned. 

Most lock cottages look very 'defensive' when you pass by. Those in isolated positions tend to get vandalised and seem to change hands regularly. I think wet-behind-the-ears people buy them then get a rude awakening when the isolated nature of many makes breaking in attractive to the (small but troublesome) set of ne'er-do-well and light-fingered canal boaters.

10 minutes ago, MrsM said:

No fresh water supply? Pretty hardcore off grid living then. Rather pretty though.

"Water is from an unrestricted supply from the canal (filtered and treated), not drinking water."

So plenty of water, but you have to carry your drinking water along the towpath or by boat.

47 minutes ago, MrsM said:

No fresh water supply? Pretty hardcore off grid living then. Rather pretty though.

I've passed it many times and there is usually a very aggressive-sounding dog barking all the time I'm transiting the lock. 

Takes the pleasure right out of the otherwise lovely environment.

No grid power, no drinkable water, Heating via wood burner, cooking via bottle fed lpg cooker and access only via water or towpath...

All of the issues that come from boat living without the option of starting your engine and moving somewhere new.

The list glosses over waste by saying it's via a septic tank, I would imagine that would be problematic to get emptied (and would probably need upgrading / replacing to comply with the new regs that kicked in from 2020 and take effect on change of ownership)

I remember talking with the residents around 6 years ago and they seemed new to the property at the time, they were using a small open fibreglass boat for transport (including school run) and were experimenting with an unofficial turbine dropped in the bywash for extra power

4 hours ago, Jess-- said:

No grid power, no drinkable water, Heating via wood burner, cooking via bottle fed lpg cooker and access only via water or towpath...

All of the issues that come from boat living without the option of starting your engine and moving somewhere new.

The list glosses over waste by saying it's via a septic tank, I would imagine that would be problematic to get emptied (and would probably need upgrading / replacing to comply with the new regs that kicked in from 2020 and take effect on change of ownership)

I remember talking with the residents around 6 years ago and they seemed new to the property at the time, they were using a small open fibreglass boat for transport (including school run) and were experimenting with an unofficial turbine dropped in the bywash for extra power

Properly managed, a septic tank should never need emptying. Now, a cesspit, that'll different.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Properly managed, a septic tank should never need emptying. Now, a cesspit, that'll different.

The listing says there is a right of access to get the septic tank emptied.

The house seems a bit of a condriction to me, the disadvantages of off grid living without out the normal advantages that go with it eg peace, quiet and away fro people, the house is right next to what I imagine is a regularly used lock.

16 hours ago, Barneyp said:

The listing says there is a right of access to get the septic tank emptied.

The house seems a bit of a condriction to me, the disadvantages of off grid living without out the normal advantages that go with it eg peace, quiet and away fro people, the house is right next to what I imagine is a regularly used lock.

Not only regularly used but one where many boaters find difficulty! I guess the sounds of frustration could be a bit overwhelming at times!

I wouldn't like to live in a lock house at all. I could see it would work on the Thames as it is connected to the lock keeper job but these old lock cottages seem to me to be trouble. 

Thats not even to mention structural issues which surely must be a concern.