Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Not only regularly used but one where many boaters find difficulty! I guess the sounds of frustration could be a bit overwhelming at times!

I think this is the root of why lock cottages are not the idyll to live in that they look. 

I suspect there must be a continual and never-ending stream of knocks on the door (from hire boaters especially) asking questions about the lock, asking for help, complaining (about <whatever>), in the assumption the occupiers are there as lock managers and CRT employees.

I suppose Somerton is useful as it does apparently have a 64ft mooring. 

So what you could do is live on the boat (the best option by a wide margin) and let the house on short lets to ramblers etc who find the novelty appealing during the warmer times of the yar. 

Then in winter with less traffic on the canal the house could be used. 

Personally I would not do this as have no interest in houses but it could be a valid use for such an awkward dwelling. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, MtB said:

I think this is the root of why lock cottages are not the idyll to live in that they look. 

I suspect there must be a continual and never-ending stream of knocks on the door (from hire boaters especially) asking questions about the lock, asking for help, complaining (about <whatever>), in the assumption the occupiers are there as lock managers and CRT employees.

Just below Midgham Lock on K and A. 

MidghamLockCottage.jpg.a5f682f7a554bc3580d7a5b185c49802.jpg

1 hour ago, MtB said:

£1.75m! 

Peterborough property is normally a cheap as chips. Never quite understood why.

I think the low property cost is a reflection of the fact that Peterborough frequently comes at (or close) to the top of "worst place to live" polls. Not sure why, seems like a perfectly reasonable and functional place to live, lacking the traditional architecture and heritage of it's neighbour Cambridge, but nothing actually wrong with it.

42 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There is this 

Although I don't think Cambridge is viewed as a hellish dump to be fair. 

Screenshot_2023-06-11-18-18-07-690_com.android.chrome.jpg.2224d9a360c6b27f429542305bfff75b.jpg

Must Admit I Did Not Think Slough Was a City. 

Surely most of those on the list are towns. Reading certainly is.

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

this house is not in Peterborough

5 bedroom detached house for sale in Lock House, Lilford, Peterborough, Northamptonshire, PE8 (rightmove.co.uk)

https://www.liverpoolresidential.com/property/3144/?propInd=S&page=2&pageSize=12&orderBy=PriceSearchAmount&orderDirection=ASC&propInd=S&businessCategoryId=1&searchType=list

We passed this going in / out Liverpool, about 200ft nice deep piled moorings, with bollards. 60ft boat on it at that time.

On 09/06/2023 at 10:21, MtB said:

I once knocked on the door of a lock cottage which was the lockkeeper's cottage (electrics failed on a Thames lock, and I was stuck in it). His wife told me to ring the EA so he got paid for the callout!

6 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

this house is not in Peterborough

Or even particularly close. It's in Peterborough in the same sense Braunston is in Northampton or Marsden is in Manchester.

In fact, it's so far away from Peterborough they pronounce the name of the river differently there :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2023 at 15:04, MrsM said:

https://www.robertellis.co.uk/property/trent-side-barton-in-fabis-nottingham/

If I won the lottery! For sale by auction to cash buyer only. The stunning Dunkirk little shop, Lady Sylvia, moors nearby. My idea of paradise.

Nobody else loved it. It didn't sell.

https://online.sdlauctions.co.uk/lot/details/94355

32 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

It appears to have had one bid, I guess the reserve was above 275k 

It had no bids when I looked a couple of hours before the end time.

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

Seems a lot for a mooring with a shed on it. Even though it's a very nice shed.

They were saying cash only. Which presumably means its unmortgageable, probably because of the flood risk. And that must significantly reduce the number of potential buyers.

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe if they want cash it is a dodgy Russian selling it. You might be able to approach them with 200 hundred g in a holdall and do a deal. Worth taking a useful extra person. 

I've just checked and dammit, I've only got 199g in this shoe box under my bed.

Thwarted at every turn. Story of my life...

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/06/2023 at 10:21, MtB said:

We have a lock cottage, not been asked for help so far. Occasionally I feel obliged to go outside and offer help/advice if he boaters look in difficulty.