Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, IanD said:

Hmm, can't see it on map satellite photos -- unless it's replaced the house between the canal and Smestow Brook which only has access along the towpath...

That's where i worked it out to be, between a lock and a bridge, closer to the bridge

I don’t think the Botterham house has been demolished and rebuilt. It’s just been destroyed in-situ. It’s very hard to reconcile the interior with the exterior but it is one and the same property.

As for the mooring, if this was once housing associated with a wharf then it may be a historic right that comes with the property. It’s not uncommon.

On 11/09/2021 at 11:51, Mrs_A said:

Went past this one last bank holiday, whoever bought it is doing some extreme make-overing.

Lots of walls down but some still standing, so perhaps not a demolish and rebuild but a bit of a floorplan tweak, or it's had a gas leak :D 

Maybe they need people to moor outside on the CRT bit of the land and put up signs saying "No moaning". 

I'm happy with No Mooring on private land but if it belongs to the CRT, which is usually the case with towpath, then it is not acceptable for adjacent land owners to put signage out. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

And how long before 'No Mooring' signs appear outside?

Strangely it says that it comes with two moorings. It looks from the pix that it is on the towpath side with no obvious reason for their to be other than unrestricted 14 day mooring for anyone. 

But then, a £1m house also comes with influence?

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Strangely it says that it comes with two moorings. It looks from the pix that it is on the towpath side with no obvious reason for their to be other than unrestricted 14 day mooring for anyone. 

Can you have an EOG mooring on the towpath side?

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think they were there well before work started

9 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Maybe they need people to moor outside on the CRT bit of the land and put up signs saying "No moaning". 

I'm happy with No Mooring on private land but if it belongs to the CRT, which is usually the case with towpath, then it is not acceptable for adjacent land owners to put signage out. 

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Can you have an EOG mooring on the towpath side?

I’ve already suggested a more straightforward reason.

There was the one which had the pair of nackered old Grand Union narrow boats I think one of them was called Baildon? Can't remember where it was. Beside a disused swing bridge on the GU

Boats moored on towpath the owner was clearly claiming mooring rights. Somewhere near weedon I think it was. 

Towpath side. 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Only one has and its not very long. There is a lot of property for sale around there, I wonder why?  Is HS2 due to destroy the area?

Two have, one is very short the other maybe 50 foot.

The nearest HS2 gets is the M42, the road to Sutton Coldfield and Fradley.

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

There was the one which had the pair of nackered old Grand Union narrow boats I think one of them was called Baildon? Can't remember where it was. Beside a disused swing bridge on the GU

Boats moored on towpath the owner was clearly claiming mooring rights. Somewhere near weedon I think it was. 

Towpath side. 

Even though the 2 boats went 2 years ago,..( via the Southern Stratford for a photo competition🤪l) CRT has just changed the old black and white sign to a brand new blue one which states reserved moorings with an arrow pointing towards the swing bridge.

The stretch covers a good 120 yards, even though there is the single 50 footer moored.

In the plan outline it does not appear to include the canal bank. Is this one of those places where the CRT own the bank and some land but people use it and don't worry about it. 

This outline looks a little bit specific..

IMG_20230424_214601.jpg.1741a4584706052c39c8d7e8d9941ff7.jpg

The description does say "Serene canal frontage" and in the photos the land in front is clearly cultivated as a garden. That outline does suggest you might be right that it's CaRT land. The largest dimension is 12' 3" so even if possible it's not adequate for much of a boat. Still, for someone who likes canals and railways and are not bothered about the mooring this could be a gem.

9 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

They seem to have completely rebuilt rather than renovated which I personally think is a shame. The old house had character.

Its a total shame what they've done to that place. 

One day there will be a thriving business from returning properties tastelessly 'renovated' by thick ignorant 'developers' to their original, charming states. 

13 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

I don’t think the Botterham house has been demolished and rebuilt. It’s just been destroyed in-situ. It’s very hard to reconcile the interior with the exterior but it is one and the same property.

As for the mooring, if this was once housing associated with a wharf then it may be a historic right that comes with the property. It’s not uncommon.

It has indeed and has taken around two years to do so. So sad. 
I see it’s in a very special place though

“ Botterham House is its own little piece of Wimborne history. “

Is Womborne becoming Wimbledon ified or perhaps there’s a Dorset effect? 

13 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Went past this one last bank holiday, whoever bought it is doing some extreme make-overing.

Lots of walls down but some still standing, so perhaps not a demolish and rebuild but a bit of a floorplan tweak, or it's had a gas leak :D 

Yes it’s interesting, I think you are right.

Apart from the chimney not much else is intact. I had though total demolishment and 6 houses to replace at first but it seems more careful and perhaps it’s all going to be two floors? 

IMG_2023-4-25-060936.jpeg

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, MtB said:

Its a total shame what they've done to that place. 

One day there will be a thriving business from returning properties tastelessly 'renovated' by thick ignorant 'developers' to their original, charming states. 

Along with authentic privvies at the end of the garden, no indoor plumbing nor heating save for a single open fire etc etc.

• Greenie 1