Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Guide Price has now lost all meaning.

Guide price on this house is £320k. Minimum opening bid on the website: £320k. 

So what they really seem to mean is Reserve Price: £320k, given they are rejecting bids lower than £320k.

16 hours ago, MtB said:

Guide Price has now lost all meaning.

Guide price on this house is £320k. Minimum opening bid on the website: £320k. 

So what they really seem to mean is Reserve Price: £320k, given they are rejecting bids lower than £320k.

auction not open yet - wait until Feb

Nice little pile by the River in Wind in the Willows land 

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/61016978/

206ft mooring is handy. 

6 beds. 7,000k bargain. 

From the advert 

"The author of Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Graham famously wrote: “Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in endless pools of money". 

Edited by magnetman

5 hours ago, magnetman said:

Nice little pile by the River in Wind in the Willows land 

https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/61016978/

206ft mooring is handy. 

6 beds. 7,000k bargain. 

From the advert 

"The author of Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Graham famously wrote: “Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in endless pools of money". 

Cor blimey, the garage there is bigger than my hovel!! 

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

Cor blimey, the garage there is bigger than my hovel!! 

Hmm. It's many times bigger than either of the boats I live on. I would quite like the mooring but would have to demolish the buildings as they are a liability. 

18 hours ago, magnetman said:

Hmm. It's many times bigger than either of the boats I live on. I would quite like the mooring but would have to demolish the buildings as they are a liability. 

My thoughts are similar too, whenever I see a massive pile like that. 

Well my very first thought is how can any family make full use of a house like that? When I was a family and kids we managed very well with a good sized four bed 1920's house in half an acre. Tiny in comparison. But with that, the maintenance was a quite a burden so I reckon keeping that Cookham pile maintained in good order probably runs well into a six figure sum annually, and demanding endless management time. No thanks!

Like you I'd rather flatten it and live on the mooring, or in the garage. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

My thoughts are similar too, whenever I see a massive pile like that. 

Well my very first thought is how can any family make full use of a house like that? When I was a family and kids we managed very well with a good sized four bed 1920's house in half an acre. Tiny in comparison. But with that, the maintenance was a quite a burden so I reckon keeping that Cookham pile maintained in good order probably runs well into a six figure sum annually, and demanding endless management time. No thanks!

Like you I'd rather flatten it and live on the mooring, or in the garage. 

When I was a kid we had a 4 storey large country house in Sussex. More rooms than I could count, courtyard, outbuildings, stable, swimming pool, gardeners cottage, 6 acres so not much land. The whole thing was knackered and if we hadn't sold it probably would have fallen down. Not a fan of big houses at all but do like moorings on the Thames. 

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Me too. It would take just too long to be bothered, standing at the cash machine to draw out half a million....

Yes, getting on for three years i reckon at a max of £500 a day, it might have changed price and hands a few times by then ;) 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

£half a mill for a 60ft mooring, jeez!!!

Well if you turned up with 425k in cash I'm sure they'd talk to you... 😇

It may seem a lot, but it's pretty good value for where it is. Lovely spot. Parking. Mains services, and the mooring has been camp-shed (that's about forty grand's worth these days!)

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

I can see a couple of garden sheds and a waterfront. Where's the property? Is it an inflatable, kept in one of the sheds.

One of which will almost certainly flood... The water down there had been up by a metre for the last week

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

“Cash purchasers only”

Thats me out then :D 

Yeah, me too. I have got cash... about thirty quid.

• Greenie 1

Laleham reach is alright. That's a nice mooring. Not sure how it works about living there as it does not seem to mention council tax. I have previously investigated the Laleham reach "estate" it is an interesting place. You won't get a lot of privacy I am pretty sure everyone knows what everyone else is doing. There will be self appointed wardens. 

The price is normal these days. Even in Reading a mooring with nothing on the land is similar price to that. 

33 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have placed an offer.

I don't expect it to be accepted.

Well some people treat an opening offer as an "expression of interest" and a cue to begin negotiations.

Personally, if people come in too low as a starter, I refuse to negotiate with them, but you never know...

37 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Laleham reach is alright. That's a nice mooring. Not sure how it works about living there as it does not seem to mention council tax. I have previously investigated the Laleham reach "estate" it is an interesting place. You won't get a lot of privacy I am pretty sure everyone knows what everyone else is doing. There will be self appointed wardens. 

The price is normal these days. Even in Reading a mooring with nothing on the land is similar price to that.

I have friends who live down that road - it is very much a community so, no, not for hermits. The plus side is that you do get invited to a lot of parties, and the pub opposite is very nice, although, again, I suspect some might object to the prices... it isn't cheap. Good food, good beer, very friendly staff, but not cheap.