Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You don't get out much then?  Looks like the sort of typical bungalow design you see just about everywhere.

Well I drive about 1,000 miles a week visiting people's homes, and in the light of my extensive experience of seeing inside them, this one is particularly horrible, in my personal opinion. 

I went in there when they bought it. Nice enough but you do get some noise from the lock. Walkers lock / Lot Mead. 

I don't know if the gates have been sorted but the top gates used to swing themselves open which meant people locking through would often slam them hard to close up. You really hear this in the house. 

Slightly ridiculous price but never mind. Also there is a culvert under the tail of the lock with a small brook in the garden so I think some potential for structural issues around groundwater. 

Interesting situation with the dirt track as well. Funny things going on with access although I think this was resolved. 

Edited by magnetman

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, MtB said:

The view of those disgusting abominations opposite would put me right off buying it.

Screenshot2023-03-13at23_16_35.thumb.png.b12d9e08ed5654379d27fc15a939ed89.png

Im sure the seller is utterly gutted.....utterly.

On 09/03/2023 at 11:40, Tim Lewis said:

A swiss 'chalet' on the Thames that comes with its own marina!

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbesrsehs230024

I thought that the marina bit was supposed to have been demolished as it was built without planning permission.

On 09/03/2023 at 11:42, magnetman said:

Ah yes one of my Van Hoogstraten's curious assets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_van_Hoogstraten

Where does it say that he was associated with Hucks boatyard

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I thought that the marina bit was supposed to have been demolished as it was built without planning permission.

At the bottom of the estate agents listing it says:

........   *The Council has taken planning enforcement action against a number of the pontoons but the finger pontoons adjacent to the Chalet are not subject to enforcement and have a permitted use. The floating leisure decks do not and may be removed.

9 minutes ago, Barneyp said:

At the bottom of the estate agents listing it says:

........   *The Council has taken planning enforcement action against a number of the pontoons but the finger pontoons adjacent to the Chalet are not subject to enforcement and have a permitted use. The floating leisure decks do not and may be removed.

I noticed that after posting.

It does not mention that come August you could be paying £12 a day as it will be in the London Ultra Low Emmision Zone

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Is it going out that far?

The ULEZ expansion? Mostly goes out to the M25 (not Runnymede and a couple of other "non-London" boroughs), including - hilariously - the roads around Heathrow... so "polluter pays" if you want to turn up at the airport in your 8 year old VW polo, but not if you then get on a whacking great A380 which will either take off or land over central London...

9 hours ago, MtB said:

The view of those disgusting abominations opposite would put me right off buying it.

Screenshot2023-03-13at23_16_35.thumb.png.b12d9e08ed5654379d27fc15a939ed89.png

Not having 3.5m would put me off buying it... (and of course, now that that nice Mr Hunt has said that he will increase the lifetime pension allowance to 1.8m to encourage me to work harder (and not as a tax-bonus to wealthy cronies and backers), I will have to consider very carefully what I do with my spare millions)

And the houseboats are actually quite nice if you cruise past them - that is a great stretch of the river.

Edited by Bacchus

On 15/02/2023 at 13:43, MtB said:

Well I drive about 1,000 miles a week visiting people's homes, and in the light of my extensive experience of seeing inside them, this one is particularly horrible, in my personal opinion. 

It reminds me of my old school's sports pavilion, which I always thought looked quite good.

As pavilions go.

23 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

The ULEZ expansion? Mostly goes out to the M25 (not Runnymede and a couple of other "non-London" boroughs), including - hilariously - the roads around Heathrow... so "polluter pays" if you want to turn up at the airport in your 8 year old VW polo, but not if you then get on a whacking great A380 which will either take off or land over central London...

Not having 3.5m would put me off buying it... (and of course, now that that nice Mr Hunt has said that he will increase the lifetime pension allowance to 1.8m to encourage me to work harder (and not as a tax-bonus to wealthy cronies and backers), I will have to consider very carefully what I do with my spare millions)

And the houseboats are actually quite nice if you cruise past them - that is a great stretch of the river.

I didn't realise it was going out that far. 

As for the houseboats I like them. Always make the effort to go round that side of the island as apart from anything else one avoids the rowing club. 

Very nasty fire there a few yars ago took out one of the big houseboats completely and almost caught the next one along. Bad. 

39 minutes ago, Tonka said:

It does not mention that come August you could be paying £12 a day as it will be in the London Ultra Low Emmision Zone

I am pretty sure that anyone who can afford three and a half million for a house will be driving a ULEZ compliant car!

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

I am pretty sure that anyone who can afford three and a half million for a house will be driving a ULEZ compliant car!

Or £12.50 a day to drive the old Continental. 

Or probably both. 

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, Tonka said:

surely you have a boat moored on the pontoons that you use for trips into town!