Another canal side property for sale

emm

Featured Posts

It would be a quite a few hours down to Chelsea from above Molesey. Pleasant little cruise though so yes. I'd have half a dozen vessels of various different types there. 

It is remarkable how many people with fabulous properties on the River have no boats. 

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Or £12.50 a day to drive the old Continental. 

Or probably both. 

Quite. A Bentley is so genteel whilst a Rolls Royce, so gauche. Just look at who used Rolls Royce. The Krays, that ghastly cove who runs Pimlico Plumbers, various pop stars... 

I once saw a white Rolls Royce drive directly over the middle of the large roundabout at the bottom of Monument Hill, Weybridge. Ignored its presence completely! 

My old man swore he would never be seen dead in a Rolls Royce. Terrible cars for common people. 

Family motors were Aston Martin and Lagonda back in the day. 

Very NQOCD are Rollers but what was funny is he had booked his own funeral and what was the hearse? A Rolls Royce ! I am still shocked to this day.  Influence of the second wife I suspect. Some people have no class. 

So he WAS seen dead in a Rolls Royce. 

19 minutes ago, MtB said:

I once saw a white Rolls Royce drive directly over the middle of the large roundabout at the bottom of Monument Hill, Weybridge. Ignored its presence completely! 

That must have been the off-road variant. You don't often see them.

On 13/03/2023 at 21:35, Tim Lewis said:

Having looked at the listing and putting my building conservation hat on that house wants serious amounts of money spending on it to remove its horrors!! For example I would guess that the exterior is painted with a modern paint - this will need removing back to bare stone/brick, that in turn will want repointing using lime mortar before repainting with lime wash. Inside the black beams want all the paint removing, the walls taken back to bare plaster, any gypsum based plaster replaced with lime and then repainted and so on. I would guesstimate somewhere in the order of £200k.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Having looked at the listing and putting my building conservation hat on that house wants serious amounts of money spending on it to remove its horrors!! For example I would guess that the exterior is painted with a modern paint - this will need removing back to bare stone/brick, that in turn will want repointing using lime mortar before repainting with lime wash. Inside the black beams want all the paint removing, the walls taken back to bare plaster, any gypsum based plaster replaced with lime and then repainted and so on. I would guesstimate somewhere in the order of £200k.

Comparing the roof shape on the interior and exterior photos suggests that the original roof with dormers (presumably originally thatched) has been overlaid with a modern straight roof. And presumably there is a (inaccessible?) void in between.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I seem to recall that was for sale when we came through in 2019 for the HNBC Hebden Bridge gathering.

No vehicular access, no parking, no mooring, no garden behind the house and its all very public to towpath walkers.

would suit canal enthusiast   if those boats "meandering" past forget to leave the lock empty then you can have your very own canal in the lower ground floor 😀

and Littleborough is an interesting place with a split personality....approached by boat its a pleasant little town at the foot of the pennines, clean air, clean streets and friendly locals. Approached by road it turns out to be a very outer suburb of Rochdale 😀

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

Good that its "retained its period features", but must be the 1970's period 😀

I don't think so. A badly and inappropriately tiled roof, plastic gutters/rainwater pipes and UPVC double glazing were widely featured in 1800s architecture, surely?

Along with the fashionable "London White" interior initially made trendy in canal boats, along with laminated flooring everywhere.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I don't think so. A badly and inappropriately tiled roof, plastic gutters/rainwater pipes and UPVC double glazing were widely featured in 1800s architecture, surely?

Along with the fashionable "London White" interior initially made trendy in canal boats, along with laminated flooring everywhere.

It always saddens me to see the inside of places like this. I thought that ripping the fixtures and fittings from period houses was a thing of the 90's, but it's still going on now. 

When will people realise that original architecture adds value to a place,  and when it's gone it's gone for good.

It's often ok til you get to the kitchen,  then it goes tits up with the IKEA reject bin look, apparently timeless. I'm not saying you should live in a museum,  but why not employ proper craftsmen and make an effort?

Look at the Landmark Trust holiday properties to see how well it can be done.

• Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, sueb said:

This is what happens to CRT property when it's sold off. Unfortunately people seem to think that's a good idea.

You're not reassured by Parry's repeated claims that they are very careful who they sell to? He did find it difficult to say how this could be achieved at auction though. I suggested that he shouted "No!" if he didn't like the look of the winning bidder.

• Haha 1

That's sad to see. When we moored in that area (late '90s/ early 2000s) it was a proper lock-keeper's house which housed a proper lock-keeper who took a pride in maintaining the lock and who, I think, won an award for the most attractive lockside in the region. 

8 minutes ago, crosser said:

quite fancy the cottage at atherstone but seems abit cheap to me...  

Yes, it looks like a nice cottage but even the estate agent admits that "The property requires full renovation" so it must be in a bad way.

Edited by Alway Swilby

It's not an expensive area for housing, anyway. The single-storey extension on the right is where the volunteer lockies keep their kettle, so perhaps CART are hanging on to that. But it's not a lot of money for a detached property, as long as it's structurally sound. It has good sized rooms, though the downstairs bathroom may put some people off.