Complete newbies

David Chapman

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think its quite interesting following youtube channels from day1 [and before], I mean if its not of interest / value to you, don't watch. Some of them earn money from youtube, and take you though their learning processes. Some are professionals, turning their skills to make their own channel. It's better than Big Brother. They don't profess to be expert in everything, why should they, its entertainment.

I'm rather hoping one day we'll have a LadyG youtube channel, will you be broadcasting your new life and adventures on the cut? :)?

• Haha 1

You've all been so interactive, I'll throw another thing in.  My biggest worry is my wife coping with the cold, although she comes from somewhere that has very cold winters you'd think she'd never seen anything freeze, fires on, I'm in a T shirt and shorts and she's wrapped up in a blanket, that's how it usual is in our house

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Chapman said:

You've all been so interactive, I'll throw another thing in.  My biggest worry is my wife coping with the cold, although she comes from somewhere that has very cold winters you'd think she'd never seen anything freeze, fires on, I'm in a T shirt and shorts and she's wrapped up in a blanket, that's how it usual is in our house

Get a well insulated boat, a multifuel stove, a good supply of fuel an eco fan and you will never be cold (once you learn to drive the stove it that is).

1 minute ago, David Chapman said:

It will be you that is too hot.

Most 'well founded' boats are very hot - we normally have to have windows open to get cooled down.

A good solid fuel fire backed by diesel central heating (to give a click on - click off option) for chilly evenings in the Spring & Autumn.

Warmer than toast !!!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

You've all been so interactive, I'll throw another thing in.  My biggest worry is my wife coping with the cold.

Thank you. Some of us have been called worse.

How about switching off the engine and getting her to tow the boat? That should give her a ruddy glow after the first few miles.

9 minutes ago, David Chapman said:

"Does it get cold on those boats in winter?"

Oh how we laugh at this, don't we children?

When we bought 'Red Wharf' about the only thing that was non negotiable was a woodburner.

There have been times when there has been 2 foot of snow outside and, with the stove turned up to 11, we've been too hot inside.

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Get a well insulated boat, a multifuel stove, a good supply of fuel an eco fan and you will never be cold (once you learn to drive the stove it that is).

You do need a good eco fan though - one with lots of blades

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not complete advice. Yes, that would keep CaRT happy once but not if you then turned round and moved 2 miles back. 14 days or less (depending upon signage) you will need to move another two miles or so further on and so on. Maybe after a few months you could turn round and work your way back.

But in Manchester much of the CRT waters is places you wouldn't want to leave your boat unattended.  And as a CRT licence holder you are limited to 7 days at a time on the Bridgewater. And to get a 12 month Bridgewater licence you need a Bridgewater mooring.

It's more doable if you are prepared to boat further out and get the train in.

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But in Manchester much of the CRT waters is places you wouldn't want to leave your boat unattended.  And as a CRT licence holder you are limited to 7 days at a time on the Bridgewater. And to get a 12 month Bridgewater licence you need a Bridgewater mooring.

It's more doable if you are prepared to boat further out and get the train in.

There is a big waiting list for New Islington so a mooring on the Bridgewater is probably the best option. There looks to be quite a few boat club type moorings but I am not sure if residential use is allowed, and although CaRT turn a blind eye to this sort of thing I am not sure that its wise to push your luck when dealing with Peel.

Living on a narrowboat on a fixed mooring whilst holding down a proper 9 to 5 job is not my idea of a good lifestyle. Continuous cruising and a bit of boat based self employment is rather nice though.

...............Dave

Given the less than enormous amount of CRT mooring around Manchester and that you had contemplated moving a boat by road have you considered locating somewhere on land to keep the boat whilst turning it into a future liveaboard. That might prove cheaper and if the boat is level and stable make measurements more accurate. If it is on a hardstanding you will not need to pay for a license and storage of fitting out material might prove easier.

Ken

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

A "project" will possibly cost twice as much and take twice as long as you first invisage.

Plus living in the clutter for an extended time wife or self gets fed up & you are back to square minus 2

2 hours ago, David Chapman said:

if my wife is working I will also keep my full time job which means we have to moor somewhere and both travel to work each morning

Nothing to stop you moving a mile or 2 after work in the  lighter evenings Is your business a shop so you work Saturdays ?

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I'm rather hoping one day we'll have a LadyG youtube channel, will you be broadcasting your new life and adventures on the cut? :)?

I can promise you that won't ever happen, you will be spared my thoughts on Elsans and self pump-outs.

I will make cameo appearances, on other folks channels, a bit like Orson Wells, who famously appeared in his own films.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I can promise you that won't ever happen, you will be spared my thoughts on Elsans and self pump-outs.

I will make cameo appearances, on other folks channels, a bit like Orson Wells, who famously appeared in his own films.

Orson Wells - Brilliant. :D

I'm pretty camera shy so you wont find me on youtube for any reason but I think you'd be a natural. ?