Complete newbies

David Chapman

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I must admit to missing the West of Scotland sailing grounds, which we first ventured on to as youths. The boat was 19ft and as we rounded Ardnamurchan in a calm sea we were met by a curious  Killer whale of considerable dimensions, he looked at us, and it was a bit scary!

Some of the best sailing in the world can be found on the west coast of Scotland :D

Edited by Tumshie

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Summit like this you mean?

Yes she is lovely. When you go down into an older yacht and the have all that beautiful wood work and the classic fiddles it's just wonderful - that is what puts me off widebeams, I have a house, I don't want another house that just happens to float, I like boats that are boats that you can just happen to live in.  :D

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yes she is lovely. When you go down into an older yacht and the have all that beautiful wood work and the classic fiddles it's just wonderful - that is what puts me off widebeams, I have a house, I don't want another house that just happens to float, I like boats that are boats that you can just happen to live in.  :D

I agree. The trouble is, to achieve the beautiful lines of a classic yacht usually means sacrificing on living space unless you get a 50 footer. 

10 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I have a house, I don't want another house that just happens to float

You'll be ok with a narrowboat then, they are more like a floating skip than a floating house!

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I agree. The trouble is, to achieve the beautiful lines of a classic yacht usually means sacrificing on living space unless you get a 50 footer. 

You'll be ok with a narrowboat then, they are more like a floating skip than a floating house!

I've never quite understood the need for vast amounts of living space - I can't stand clutter, so as long as I'm not falling over piles of c**p then I don't mind small. 

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If, Tumsh, if!

You have know idea how true that (some times) is. ?

28 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I've never quite understood the need for vast amounts of living space - I can't stand clutter, so as long as I'm not falling over piles of c**p then I don't mind small.

Have you read the £200 millionaire......it could be you!

ETA Adjusted for inflation, of course!

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That's the one. Short and sweet (unlike me)

I happen to know that you are very sweet - Mrs Rusty told me so. :P

It would seem it's quite difficult to get hold off so I'll keep an eye out. There's a couple of good rare book shops locally so I'll try them. 

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

I happen to know that you are very sweet - Mrs Rusty told me so. :P

It would seem it's quite difficult to get hold off so I'll keep an eye out. There's a couple of good rare book shops locally so I'll try them. 

Just read the PDF version. Easy to find using google, I'm reading it again now, although not quite as good as I remember.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks Mike; when I said quite difficult I was just being lazy as I couldn't get it on Kobo or iTunes. I did have a look on amazon but I thought £20 for a 14 page book was a bit much for me, and some one very kindly sent me a copy of the PDF for free, so it all worked out in the end. ?

1 hour ago, BlueStringPudding said:

That's how I did it. Loads went wrong: couldn't keep the fire lit so was freezing cold, despite burning the whole Christmas Radio Times as kindling (anything stick like outside was wet from heavy rain). The windlass which was already wobbly broke and nowhere was open to buy a new one - ended up being swizzed £15 or £20 by some boater who sold us his old windlass (we had no idea that new ones were a fiver) - this boater was clearly lacking Christmas spirit. And the water heater on the boat had a dodgy pilot light. It was a hard journey with lots of travelling after dark to make up for lost time (to this day I've never done the slightly scary Stenson's Lock in daylight) but what won us  over was when we arrived at Fradley, we went into the pub and stood aghast at their roaring  stove with flames coming up and out the open door coz someone had put something rather flammable on it. I stood in the doorway amazed and just said: "That's just taking the p*ss!"  While ordering a couple of pints of some very warning looking ale, I told the landlady of our totally amateur trials and tribulations from our journey and how bitterly cold we were having had no heating and little hot water for a week. Everyone in the pub who were boaters were so lovely to us townies: one overheard and took my other half to his boat to give him dried wood kindling, fire lighters and extra coal; the landlady of the pub gave me a vase  of flowers to decorate our dining table on the boat for Christmas day.  The boating people were all so welcoming and friendly, I knew the boating life would be for me. And all over the country almost every boater I have met has been just as friendly, helpful and lovely. And here I am, 11 years on from that trip, and winter was and still is my favourite time on the boat. So welcome David and Margarita. I hope you love it too.  ?

I had an unusual conversation with Margarita last night about my concerns of her cooping with the damp and cold at winter, icicles on the inside, no dry clothes but no matter what I said she still wants to do it, so GAME ON 

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

You have know idea how true that (some times) is. ?

We’re all brought up to covet space. A bigger house, a bigger garden, a bigger car. Choosing quality over quantity seems like a rebellious act. 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Where is the half ?

Why doesn't it fall over ?

That be a proper boat. None of that catamaran stuff.

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Summit like this you mean? (mrsmelly would approve)

Temeraire.jpg

ETA. Apologies for the monstrosity in the background

Well @mrsmelly you should have kept her!

• Greenie 1

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

We’re all brought up to covet space. A bigger house, a bigger garden, a bigger car. Choosing quality over quantity seems like a rebellious act. 

That's very true :), and the choices that I would make if I had an endless amount of money might probably would be very different from the ones that I would / will make with the income that I have at the moment. I also think that space/bigger/better means different things to different people and I personally have all ways swayed towards quality over quantity.

My not understanding why some one would want to live in a McMansion and drive an Italian sports car doesn't mean that I don't think that they should just that I don't understand the appeal; I'm a live and let live kinda gal. :D 

38 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well @mrsmelly you should have kept her!

?There seems to be an on going story here?