Drying Washing

Movin' on

Featured Posts

As we get ready for boating on our latest boat - what do people do about drying washing?

In the hope this stays on track for at least 24hrs :giggles: is there a tiller based solution that works, is there a freestanding base that works, we had a great welded tube/socket set up on Persia on the tug deck but this cant be repeated so we are a bit lacking in ideas - I thought there was a company that made something and have contacted them ................

We have a small spin dryer which is a great help. It uses only a small amount of electricity from the inverter (about 200 watts) and gets the clothes nearly dry very quickly. They can be finished off in the usual ways.

ETA when not in use it is small enough to live in the bottom of a wardrobe

Edited by Keeping Up

The spin dryer side of the twin tub gets clothes much drier than the automatic washing machines I've used. After that they go on a set of lines across the ceiling of the bathroom. There is a radiator in there and two roof vents, so they dry very quickly without condensation problems. I am short enough that I don't garrote myself if I leave the lines up!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

We have a pair of short permanent lines under the cratch top board that are more then enough for most clothing but bedding and things like thick trousers/jackets go to a launderette.

Similar to Tony with lines in the cratch. Our stove is at the front so the cratch is a nice conservatory and clothes dry really well with the stove on.

33 minutes ago, Halsey said:

All good many thanks - any solutions to summer outdoor drying and mounting rotary driers??

My previous next boat neighbours had one of these mounted on the swan neck tillerhttps://www.miracleleisureproducts.co.uk/brolly-mate.html

The wirly washing line had a cut down pole so the line could actually be reached. This also reduces the torque on the brolly mate.

Edited to add: Theirs was modified with a hole through it so it could be attached with a tiller pin through it and the tiller. This prevented it falling over with the weight of the washing. Something that could not be guarenteed with just the securing screws.

Others have a bit of scaffolding pole welded somewhere around the front deck in to which a whirly line can be slotted. Jus read your first post again and you don't have this option. Note that some posh marinas ban drying washing outside, so depends where you moor.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

For socks and undies we use the plastic circular hangers with about a dozen pegs suspended from them (cost £1 at Poundland!) and everything else either gets hung on hangers around the boat or on the collapsible clothes horse.

We have what seemingly are unusual features on our boat -

• Radiators
  • An airing cupboard
  • Not quite a separate engine room, nor a back cabin - but a large space where the engine lives

All the above works for us.....

We have a tumble drier. It uses about 2kw so we can only use it when cruising, via the travelpower.  Or n shore power of course.

But it takes less than an hour from taking the clothes out of the washing machine, to putting them away dry. One of my pet hates is damp washing hanging around the inside of a boat!

Edited by nicknorman

1 hour ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Me too plus a   6kg load auto washing machine 

Phil 

One advantage of these set against a twin tub is that they are not so sensitive to an unbalanced load, we probably should invest in a small machine, what have you got, wattage, etc? My good lady is currently using wash board, posser and elbow grease!

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

One of my pet hates is damp washing hanging around the inside of a boat!

Me too hence the questions..........

We have a washing machine, and an engine room (with Gardner 2LW) - I'm pursuing brolly mate with no success so far - we do have a stainless 26 peg hanging thing which is just about OK for smalls and socks etc and doesn't look too bad.

Thanks all.............................

we have a tumble dryer next to auto washing machine in the dedicated utility room :ninja: hence NOT having a 57 foot midget boat. We also have in the utiity room two head height drying lines. Also for helping out in the front cabin or indeed outside when weather permits a folding wooden clothes horse ( wooden ones have less chance of scratching paintwork )

36 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Me too hence the questions..........

We have a washing machine, and an engine room (with Gardner 2LW) - I'm pursuing brolly mate with no success so far - we do have a stainless 26 peg hanging thing which is just about OK for smalls and socks etc and doesn't look too bad.

Thanks all.............................

Just spoken to the Brolly Mate guys - I think we will give that a go, their extended version seems the right one, just need to measure the tiller arm!

Thanks................

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

Just spoken to the Brolly Mate guys - I think we will give that a go, their extended version seems the right one, just need to measure the tiller arm!

Thanks................

We did that, extended version with a hole to keep it upright with the tiller pin & a miniature rotary washing line without the tripod base. Works a treat.

• Happy 1

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Maybe wooden ones are easier on the paintwork, but a proper horse also keeps the grass short.

And can tow your boat, plus you can ride it to the shop/pub too. You could dry your washing on it,but it woujld smell a bit horsey.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies