Summer Canal Congestion

Eldog

Featured Posts

In the process of planning our May to Oct on the canal but a little concerned that some bits may become overly busy mid summer.  Does anyone have any suggestions for either quieter locations or hot spots to avoid during July/August, or should I pack up and go home!  Currently the boat is based around Braunston.

Thanks

We moor in the same area as you and sure there will be 20 boats an hour going passed  if you are moored between Braunston and Napton, but is it that much of an issue, and queues for locks are not often that bad.

if you want quiet the Wryley and Essington would fit the bill any time of year!

55 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Does it really matter if you hit a bit of congestion?

Pulmo Bailly is good for congestion http://www.pulmobailly.co.uk/

:lol:

If you keep your boat in a marina in one of the most popular bits of the narrow system, you're going to have to live with it being busy in the summer.

Bloomin Heck - that was quick!  Thanks

I realise now that my original post was a bit vague - somewhat like the author.

The plan is to head northwards from the Braunston area for about a month/6 weeks and then head back south. 

12 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Pulmo Bailly is good for congestion http://www.pulmobailly.co.uk/

:lol:

If you keep your boat in a marina in one of the most popular bits of the narrow system, you're going to have to live with it being busy in the summer.

Actually were in Crick on the Leicester Line which was selected for being within striking distance of Dorset.  Going north on the Leicester Line seems to be reasonably quiet but we've already explored it a few times.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Does it really matter if you hit a bit of congestion?

I wasn't so much worried about the congestion but more availability of suitable mooring - bloke needs to be able to go t'pub in evening.

16 minutes ago, Eldog said:

Bloomin Heck - that was quick!  Thanks

I realise now that my original post was a bit vague - somewhat like the author.

The plan is to head northwards from the Braunston area for about a month/6 weeks and then head back south. 

Actually were in Crick on the Leicester Line which was selected for being within striking distance of Dorset.  Going north on the Leicester Line seems to be reasonably quiet but we've already explored it a few times.

I wasn't so much worried about the congestion but more availability of suitable mooring - bloke needs to be able to go t'pub in evening.

So there you go: Trent, A&C, L&L, then south to your home base on T&M; should fit nicely in your timescales.http://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/canal.cgi

Edited by rgreg
Edited to insert Canalplan link

We are currently on the Caldon, we saw one moving boat the first two days and it has got very busy today with three moving boats passing us.

Had a trip on the Sheffield and Tinsley last week and the volunteer lockies said a busy day for them would be four boats in the same morning.

It is a known fact that by far the best boating is done between november and march and I am not joking. I rarely if ever take the boat off its moorings in august or for that matter on any public or school holiday.

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It is a known fact that by far the best boating is done between november and march and I am not joking. I rarely if ever take the boat off its moorings in august or for that matter on any public or school holiday.

Yes its started to pick up this week.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes its started to pick up this week.

Yes 70 percent of the hire fleet have gone out today and it will get busier and busier here as the weeks go bye. Bookings are up yet again this year.

It's all fun, have been out since September and mooring has been easy,a nice mild winter, but now enjoying the spring, only been hit twice so far in last two weeks, so starting to get used to it, both by privately owned, last just by wind blowing him across, and he let it just drift, one before that on canal, he hit mine after rebounding off another, never even tried reverse, oh well.

13 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Stay in Dorset, you'll not see a canal boat no matter how long you wait.

.....there used to be a wide beam moored in Poole Harbour, last seen moored on one of the smaller islands........

I'm not so sure the worst congestion is during school summer holidays anymore. Last year we encountered bigger queues on the Trent and Mersey, around Great Haywood in February than over the August bank holiday! I think many more boaters (private and hirers) try to go 'out of season' so those times can be just as busy. I wouldn't be too worried. Besides queues can be quite sociable.:D

We did the Llangollen, Chester, Anderton Lift areas starting out in May last year, all frequently busy, but were back by mid July to avoid the school holidays. No issues at all. Looking at the post above though, I think we may have been a bit over cautious!  Still, we have to pop home to mow the grass some time!