42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

I'm not sure we should jump to such conclusions (neither should we dismiss the conclusion).

I m also not overly comfortable in discussing a persons foibles on their own thread!

However, I see myself in Max to some extent. If I'm right she has a case of "stubborn woman syndrome",

just like me she is unhappy to have to admit that the course of action she has taken is not the most logical or practical and will rail against ant advice to the contrary (until a suitable time has passed and sober contemplation shows that someone else is right, damn them).

Just like me saying "I told you so" just takes stubborn to a whole new level.

Just like me she appears fairly competent when she has the information.

Just don't expect anyone with SWS to admit they were wrong.

If you don't believe me ask Im Indoors.

Alyson

Great post ?

If I could give Greenies with a phone I would :)

• Greenie 1

Patty Ann

My apologies . I never meant offence in any way & i hpe none is taken . I must ve inadvertently misinterpreted your post .

I did get the impression that you would very much help if possible and thats admirable .

How does putting a piece of tarp , say 3 ft by 3 ft with a brick a each corner restrict airflow . Wind will get under it , air can enter and leave the cabin but rain cannot . Im not suggesting the vent is wrapped up with tarp , more that its laid over it .

My intention was not to annoy anyone , least of all Max , but winters about to hit and life aboard could become uncomfortable - a bit of prioritising with regards to problems and available budget is probably necessary .

Anyway , thats my opinion only and apolgies if i got the wrong end of the stick Patty Ann

cheers

I'm not offended just wanted to set the record straight..Like Dyertribe I recognise some of myself in Max and I want her to succeed..ok so she didn't follow advice..but I guess all us stubborn women don't..we knows what to do.

I'm not offended just wanted to set the record straight..Like Dyertribe I recognise some of myself in Max and I want her to succeed..ok so she didn't follow advice..but I guess all us stubborn women don't..we knows what to do.

Is this an appropriate time to admit I have been heard to yell, " I may be wrong but I'm not sorry"?

Gawd only knows how I've been married to the same man for the last 22 years!

This situation is summed up by the well know phrase "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink". It seems to me that Max is seriously depressed ( I know a little about this !) and is doing what she can to make matters as bad as she can to in some way justify her feelings.

Have you ever met her? I have she is a nice lady with a great sense of humour, something that is needed with an old boat

Mod hat on:

Can we bring this thread back to something boat related please? Max's rollercoaster ride as a new BOATER.

Personal comments about members like this aren't likely to be helpful, especially when this is her thread! I can see that all posting has been well intentioned but, some of it has been inappropriate. I am aware that I've been involved in this thread too, so I'm happy to take some of the blame. However, speculation about the mental health of another member is going a wee bit too far.

Thanks.

I last posted some sort of advice for Max. I thought constructive and encouraging. I have visited Max a few times. I agree max is a lovely person and has my full admiration for what is being achieved on Water Orchid.

I received a bit of a slap from Max, written,not physical, and took it so. I wasn't too well in myself following a couple of stays in Southport hospital and a 'procedure' that evidentially upset my innards. I wrote in reply that maybe on reflection was a little unfair and unjust, a post that I regret.

I do continue to admire what is being done in and around Skipton and would appreciate the receipt of an offered olive branch.

Max, text me, post on here or PM me. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Missing your updates.

Martyn & Margaret.

I've been out of action for a while and sad to come back and see that this thread has turned from fun to personal :-(

Max, wishing you and water orchid and the menagerie and pretty ropes and spider body parts and the calorie-flower the very best!

• Greenie 1

I've been out of action for a while and sad to come back and see that this thread has turned from fun to personal :-(

Max, wishing you and water orchid and the menagerie and pretty ropes and spider body parts and the calorie-flower the very best!

But what started as fun changed when there is a danger to life and sealing vets is a danger to life

First winter I spent on my boat I blocked up all the door vents, screwed the only mushroom right down and wedged the windows shut while keeping the fire in non-stop... There was quite enough drafts getting in and around doors and window glass to keep me alive. I wouldn't do it now (probably) but it sure didn't kill me then. Had a gas fire then too.

I do wonder sometimes if some of these dangers are a bit overrated,especially in an old boat which is never going to be hermetically sealed.

First winter I spent on my boat I blocked up all the door vents, screwed the only mushroom right down and wedged the windows shut while keeping the fire in non-stop... There was quite enough drafts getting in and around doors and window glass to keep me alive. I wouldn't do it now (probably) but it sure didn't kill me then. Had a gas fire then too.

I do wonder sometimes if some of these dangers are a bit overrated,especially in an old boat which is never going to be hermetically sealed.

You were lucky.

Did you also have a cracked glass in your fire ?

Did you also have a severely corroded flue collar ?

Did you also have chunks of fire cement 'missing' around your flue ?

You were lucky.

Well, maybe. I certainly made every mistake possible. But a vast number of boats (inc mine) had to have a lot of mods re ventilation when the Safety cert came in, and I don't remember people dying like flies before that. Mine certainly had no vents in the doors, a single mushroom over the cooker and a calorific gas fire. And the stove glass cracked regularly... And just to add to my crimes, I sealed the flue collar with bathroom sealant!

No internet in those days and I didn't know better. But I do feel an affinity with the OP.

• Greenie 2

Well, maybe. I certainly made every mistake possible. But a vast number of boats (inc mine) had to have a lot of mods re ventilation when the Safety cert came in, and I don't remember people dying like flies before that. Mine certainly had no vents in the doors, a single mushroom over the cooker and a calorific gas fire. And the stove glass cracked regularly... And just to add to my crimes, I sealed the flue collar with bathroom sealant!

No internet in those days and I didn't know better. But I do feel an affinity with the OP.

A catalytic gas fire, more probably. Flippin' death draps, them.

Did yours kill you too, or did you survive?

People have always died from CO poisoning, and still do.

I don't know anyone who's been shot dead, but I know guns are dangerous.

Anyway, as i said before, for me the Heath Robinson approach to safety matters was thing which concerned me most, rather than the detail of what was done. Then when people aired their concerns, they were rebuked, even though they were just trying to help.

At the risk of over dramatizing things, imagine a new member in a similar position, not being advised of these things by the forum and then a tragedy happened? How would we be feeling then?

Every winter we hear stories of people going to sleep in their boats and not waking up. Nobody should have to apologise for educating people to try and prevent that.