42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

I might be being naive here but a question. I understand all about CO but some replies to MIss Max seem to suggest that if the ventilators are blocked she will smother. If that isn't the suggestion I have certainly picked it up wrongly.

Is the concern over the ventilators being blocked purely the CO concern? I have never been in a narrow boat which is draught proof (even if every ventilator and window was closed) enough to smother the equivalent of 2 people (! person a small dog and 2 cats) overnight.

WHat am I missing?

I think there was some concern over the state of the stove and chimney and if Max is trying to keep the fire in all night then there is more chance of problems.

Max perhaps if you got a CO2 alarm it would put everyone's mind a bit at ease....(apologies if I have missed this and you already have one )

I think there was some concern over the state of the stove and chimney and if Max is trying to keep the fire in all night then there is more chance of problems.

Max perhaps if you got a CO2 alarm it would put everyone's mind a bit at ease....(apologies if I have missed this and you already have one )

I thought she has already indicated she has one. Incidentally not wanting to be pedantic but it is a CO alarm not a CO2 alarm.

Perhaps some feel there has been over reaction to Max's application of sealant around mushroom vents.

I've always been taught to ensure adequate ventilation when using solid fuels...here at the cottage I've even been told not to block all the air gaps(holes).

When I saw the photographs I wanted to get in my car and drive up to see if I could help...unfortunately I live an awful long way from where she is situated and ongoing issues here at Horror House have me more or less stuck here fighting a cottage that would prefer to stay in the last century...I am getting there though roof has now decided to ensure damp filters in to allow plaster to jump off the walls and in uncovering part of the roof I find woodworm have had a banquet...

The reason I follow this thread is partly because I admire Max's 'have a go attitude' and also I like to know she's still alive and well...

• Greenie 2

I might be being naive here but a question. I understand all about CO but some replies to MIss Max seem to suggest that if the ventilators are blocked she will smother. If that isn't the suggestion I have certainly picked it up wrongly.

Is the concern over the ventilators being blocked purely the CO concern? I have never been in a narrow boat which is draught proof (even if every ventilator and window was closed) enough to smother the equivalent of 2 people (! person a small dog and 2 cats) overnight.

WHat am I missing?

It isn't just the carbon monoxide people are concerned about but the condensation issue as well.

Max has said many times now that the boat is damp or even wet. Blocking up ventilation will make that worse and potentially be damaging for her health.

Despite what Max may think people are only looking out for her and have her best interests at heart.

I feel that the bubble has possibly burst on Max's dream and she has realised living on a boat isn't the rose tinted vision she once imagined. But hopefully she will pull through and by summer wonder what all of the fuss was about.

Chin up Max.

A very good post above by NC , no doubt echoing many others thoughts . The sealant over the mushrooms was beyond a joke & i feel has frustrated contributors to this thread .

Some excellent , and heartfelt advice from very experienced and knowledgeable folk ( not me ) appears to have been overlooked .

To waterproof those vents from rain needed a bit of tarp and four bricks . Job done till winters over .

Patty ann felt sorry fro Miss Max when she saw the mushroom vents . I did not . Its plain daft and fannying around being nice isn t any good .

Its her boat and her choice ultimately and as much as admire a " can do " attitude i feel it always both advisable and respectful to take on board good , well meant advice.

On the whole i feel Miss Max has done this & i applaud 90% of her attitude but there needs to be some recognition that some of this boating lark is serious otherwise things can cost alot of money , time , effort and as far as safety goes then things can cost much more .

That looks like a nice little boat & a potentially comfy little home for Max and the pets but it needs attention - some of that attention is more important than other bits and priorities need to be established and acted upon suitably .

Anyway , enough from me , i dont mean to sound negative but sometimes its necessary and Max needs to get a grip .

• Greenie 2

A very good post above by NC , no doubt echoing many others thoughts . The sealant over the mushrooms was beyond a joke & i feel has frustrated contributors to this thread .

Some excellent , and heartfelt advice from very experienced and knowledgeable folk ( not me ) appears to have been overlooked .

To waterproof those vents from rain needed a bit of tarp and four bricks . Job done till winters over .

Patty ann felt sorry fro Miss Max when she saw the mushroom vents . I did not . Its plain daft and fannying around being nice isn t any good .

Its her boat and her choice ultimately and as much as admire a " can do " attitude i feel it always both advisable and respectful to take on board good , well meant advice.

On the whole i feel Miss Max has done this & i applaud 90% of her attitude but there needs to be some recognition that some of this boating lark is serious otherwise things can cost alot of money , time , effort and as far as safety goes then things can cost much more .

That looks like a nice little boat & a potentially comfy little home for Max and the pets but it needs attention - some of that attention is more important than other bits and priorities need to be established and acted upon suitably .

Anyway , enough from me , i dont mean to sound negative but sometimes its necessary and Max needs to get a grip .

Perhaps you misinterpreted my post...I do not recollect saying I felt sorry for Max..she's doing her best and sometimes despite having a go, doing your best it doesn't turn out quite as it should...Ive bin there, got the T shirt and if I lived nearer and Max wanted some assistance and if I could help, I would go up...Just as I help others I can...for example the knotweed I fight is not actually my knotweed..it is the responsibility of disabled farmer but I've dealt with it because he cannot and if not done it will invade my property..

I never ask anyone to feel sorry for me..nor did I expect it...and I don't think Max wants anyone to feel sorry for her.

Max is getting to grips with a world she knew little about...and hopefully the advice on here is helping her.

Have a good day

• Greenie 3

Speaking personally, smothering mushroom vents is a problem in that it indicates a 'heath robinson' approach to personal safety. Yes, the boat might still be well ventilated with sealed up mushrooms but I worry what the next idea down the line will be.

As I said previously, getting advice you like is very easy to go along with. Getting advice which you don't really want to hear is tougher, but if you want the first kind, you're gonna have to expect the second kind too.

I suppose, if I feel honest, I feel a little responsible too. Max came to visit me before she even started properly looking for a boat. I gave her as much advice as I could at the time about what to look for in buying a boat. Pretty much everything I said was ignored and a couple of weeks later, a boat had been bought, at the other end of the country with no survey, no experienced boater coming to have a look with her etc.

Compare that with other people who spend months (years even) researching and looking at dozens and dozens of boats (I know I did) until they know exactly what they're looking for and eventually they find it.

I understand that everyone has their own way of doing things but I must admit I've been repeatedly frustrated by this thread when Max has landed herself in difficulties due to ignored advice and looked to the forum to help out.

I keep on looking though! huh.png

Patty Ann

My apologies . I never meant offence in any way & i hpe none is taken . I must ve inadvertently misinterpreted your post .

I did get the impression that you would very much help if possible and thats admirable .

How does putting a piece of tarp , say 3 ft by 3 ft with a brick a each corner restrict airflow . Wind will get under it , air can enter and leave the cabin but rain cannot . Im not suggesting the vent is wrapped up with tarp , more that its laid over it .

My intention was not to annoy anyone , least of all Max , but winters about to hit and life aboard could become uncomfortable - a bit of prioritising with regards to problems and available budget is probably necessary .

Anyway , thats my opinion only and apolgies if i got the wrong end of the stick Patty Ann

cheers

Pretty much everything I said was ignored and a couple of weeks later, a boat had been bought, at the other end of the country with no survey, no experienced boater coming to have a look with her etc.

On the other hand, it is often stated on CWF that "the boat finds you". Obviously this boat found our Max, so she snapped it up before it could get away.

I remember when Mrs. Athy and I started house-hunting in Uckfield for our first property, in 1989. We bought the second house which we'd viewed. My Mum was horrified, saying that we should have gone round far more houses before reaching our decision. But we lived happily in that house for eleven years. It wasn't perfect, but it was the right one for us.

How does putting a piece of tarp , say 3 ft by 3 ft with a brick a each corner restrict airflow . Wind will get under it , air can enter and leave the cabin but rain cannot . Im not suggesting the vent is wrapped up with tarp , more that its laid over it .

A couple of thoughts. First if the wind is enough to get under any edge of the tarp it is (in my experience anyway) likely to be able to pull it out from under the bricks at which point it becomes useless at keeping the rain out. If it is weighted down in enough places to prevent this the wind wont (again in my experience) get under it.

We have had a lot of still autumnal days round here on those days the wind wouldn't be getting under the tarp and so not getting ventilation.

To me that means the trap isn't reliable as a method of preventing water getting in. Equally it isn't a reliable method of allowing ventilation and particularly with the ventilation and CO it only takes one occurrence of not enough ventilation and it goodnight (permanently).

This situation is summed up by the well know phrase "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink". It seems to me that Max is seriously depressed ( I know a little about this !) and is doing what she can to make matters as bad as she can to in some way justify her feelings.

Not really helpful.. If I could give a negative greenie, I would..

Whoa , let's not put Max under the spell of the Black Dog, could it just be being a bit pissed off, I know I get times when I feel like that, when things go wrong or whatever and you feel like you are swimming against the tide.

I'm sure everybody here has had periods like that.

I'm sure Max will bounce back.

Phil

On the other hand, it is often stated on CWF that "the boat finds you". Obviously this boat found our Max, so she snapped it up before it could get away.

I hope you're right. We also have plenty of new members who come on with tales of woe because they've bought a dud boat with no survey and everything's gone wrong. Often these people disappear from the forum quite quickly. I presume they cut their losses and sell the boat quickly for less than they paid.

This situation is summed up by the well know phrase "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink". It seems to me that Max is seriously depressed ( I know a little about this !) and is doing what she can to make matters as bad as she can to in some way justify her feelings.

I'm not sure we should jump to such conclusions (neither should we dismiss the conclusion).

I m also not overly comfortable in discussing a persons foibles on their own thread!

However, I see myself in Max to some extent. If I'm right she has a case of "stubborn woman syndrome",

just like me she is unhappy to have to admit that the course of action she has taken is not the most logical or practical and will rail against ant advice to the contrary (until a suitable time has passed and sober contemplation shows that someone else is right, damn them).

Just like me saying "I told you so" just takes stubborn to a whole new level.

Just like me she appears fairly competent when she has the information.

Just don't expect anyone with SWS to admit they were wrong.

If you don't believe me ask Im Indoors.

Alyson

Edited by Dyertribe
  • Greenie 2