42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

As if this topic wasn't long enough and going off on all sorts of tangents, I feel that no request for information on CWDF should go unanswered if possible. Ten weeks later, here's my attempt at it. I've been involved in keyboard cleaning at various times during my long career in IT, usually tea and food crumbs but never vomit as far as I can recall, but the principles should be the same. I'm assuming here that you don't have some industrial/military spec keyboard which will just shrug it off and can be wiped down with a damp cloth.

If it's a desktop type separate keyboard, first unplug the keyboard because you don't want to short out any circuit. Hold it upside down and wash it, maybe using a shower head pointing up at it. I wouldn't immerse it in water. Leave it upside down on kitchen towel/newspaper in a warm (not hot) place for a long time to dry out fully, then plug it in to see if it works. If it doesn't, no big deal, they're cheap to replace.

If it's a laptop, be much more careful. Shut the machine down quickly; you can just unplug straight away but if so you'll lose data you've just entered.

Turn it upside down on top of kitchen towel/newspaper, using that to wipe the vomit away without pressing it further in between the keys. Afterwards a vacuum cleaner might be helpful. Again, dry it slowly then try it; if it doesn't work, aaargh!

In both cases there are products for cleaning dirty keys afterwards, PC World should have them, but baby wipes would probably do quite a good job.

If you happen to use one of the old IBM model M keyboards just hose it off, they are near indestructible.

Normal keyboards survive around 4 months with me before keys start dying, I haven't managed to kill a single key on my 1987 ibm keyboard yet (I swear if you hit it with a sledgehammer the hammer would come off worse).

As an added bonus you can drive anyone within 100 feet absolutely mad with the machine gun type clattering if you are a fast typist.

Brian Blessed will be my queen. If i have to take my slipper off and fight you all i will (ignore the holes in my socks please)

Will i have to get a flame thrower to remove those eggs :( . Can someone tell me what i did with my sim card please. If i can find the sim card then i can find

my bank cards then i can get coal and and i wont be blooming freezing tonight.

It's all gone Pete Tong (as you hipsters in Birmingham say)

Going stir crazy in Skipton, running out of things to poke. I can only go back to where i came from (up Silsden way) as the other way towards Gargrave is a no go due to the bridge getting fixed. I want to go some place new and not repeat what i have done :(

Off to give my pets one last chance to find my purse (i know its them, they all have shifty eyes)

PS

No one has given me the answer as to why the top bit of my radiatior gets warm. What bits do i bleed? Why is my bathroom a ice palace (i fear going tinkle time)

Why is it so blooming cold

PS

Keyboard went to a magical place a long time ago

Max - just wondering if during your prolonged boat search and purchasing experience anyone may have suggested getting a mooring for the Winter, giving you the opportunity to 'iron-out' any boat-bugs (no - not spiders), plug into the mains, have unlimited hot water - and guess what 'RADIATORS that get hot', or even electric fan heaters, an electric kettle with the availability of unlimited mugs of tea, AND, non of those nasty swing bridges to work on your own.

A place where on-site 'mechanics' could come and fix things

A place where you didn't have to take your toilet on the bus with you

A place with showers

A place with a launderette

Well - did they ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Brian Blessed will be my queen. If i have to take my slipper off and fight you all i will (ignore the holes in my socks please)

Will i have to get a flame thrower to remove those eggs sad.png . Can someone tell me what i did with my sim card please. If i can find the sim card then i can find

my bank cards then i can get coal and and i wont be blooming freezing tonight.

It's all gone Pete Tong (as you hipsters in Birmingham say)

Going stir crazy in Skipton, running out of things to poke. I can only go back to where i came from (up Silsden way) as the other way towards Gargrave is a no go due to the bridge getting fixed. I want to go some place new and not repeat what i have done sad.png

Off to give my pets one last chance to find my purse (i know its them, they all have shifty eyes)

PS

No one has given me the answer as to why the top bit of my radiatior gets warm. What bits do i bleed? Why is my bathroom a ice palace (i fear going tinkle time)

Why is it so blooming cold

PS

Keyboard went to a magical place a long time ago

If the tops are hot but the bottom cold it suggests that your radiator is full of sediment.

The air rises to the top which is why when they are ready for bleeding the bottom is hotter then the top.

If the tops are hot but the bottom cold it suggests that your radiator is full of sediment.

The air rises to the top which is why when they are ready for bleeding the bottom is hotter then the top.

It also suggests a plain and simple lack of circulation. Either a failed pump or a poorly designed and installed thermal convection system.

I very rarely encounter rads so full of sediment the bottom won't heat up. So rare in fact I can't remember the last time I encountered a heating system that needed powerflushing to make it work again.

It also suggests a plain and simple lack of circulation. Either a failed pump or a poorly designed and installed thermal convection system.

I very rarely encounter rads so full of sediment the bottom won't heat up. So rare in fact I can't remember the last time I encountered a heating system that needed powerflushing to make it work again.

When we bought our house one radiator downstairs refused to heat up other then one very small area at the top. We removed it flushed it through and then refitted it. It now heats up.

Nothing else has changed and it is still the same pump and boiler.

ETA: Is Max aware of having to turn her pump on?

Edited by Naughty Cal

When we bought our house one radiator downstairs refused to heat up other then one very small area at the top. We removed it flushed it through and then refitted it. It now heats up.

Nothing else has changed and it is still the same pump and boiler.

ETA: Is Max aware of having to turn her pump on?

I'd say is was quite likely to have been crud in one or both of the rad valves. I usually find I can fix this exact fault you describe simply by turning both rad valves fully OFF then fully ON a couple of times.

(Which you would have had to do to remove the rad anyway, was my point.)

Max - just wondering if during your prolonged boat search and purchasing experience anyone may have suggested getting a mooring for the Winter, giving you the opportunity to 'iron-out' any boat-bugs (no - not spiders), plug into the mains, have unlimited hot water - and guess what 'RADIATORS that get hot', or even electric fan heaters, an electric kettle with the availability of unlimited mugs of tea, AND, non of those nasty swing bridges to work on your own.

A place with showers

Well - did they ?

Hmmmm......

A place with showers

Well - did they ?

A very constructive suggestion. Max would benefit from wintering in a marina, if finance allows and if wintering is a verb. Being in one place for a while would presumably make it easier to get to work, too.

I can't hear you. I can't hear you. I can't hear you.

Mr Enfield and Mr Athy talk to girls in public (bet they even let girls on thier boats). I know that Mr Dave_P drinks from a golden goblet while stoking his Arga to make his OH dinner

I can't hear you. I can't hear you. I can't hear you.

Im off to buy coal :(

What about all the twisty things on the radiator? cant you just tie up MTB stick a stamp on him and ill collect from the PO

Mike her system is thermo syphon, the back boiler isnt large, and the the stove is at the pointy end of the boat and the pipes run slightly downhill and are 22mm not 28mm. If Max lights a bigger fire it tends to boil in the backboiler. Hope this gives you an understanding of the problem

Mike her system is thermo syphon, the back boiler isnt large, and the the stove is at the pointy end of the boat and the pipes run slightly downhill and are 22mm not 28mm. If Max lights a bigger fire it tends to boil in the backboiler. Hope this gives you an understanding of the problem

Sounds like its not an ideal thermo-syphon setup , and may benefit from a circulation pump.

Ok that explains everything. It will never have worked from what you say.

I think this thread should be pinned and pointed out to all new boat owners.

I decided to be cleverer than Miss Max and got myself a boating accessory that she didn't get with her boat - a husband who seems able to make anything work and with plenty of boating experience. However if I ever break down on my boat and he doesn't notice and sails off into the sunset I will be going through this thread looking for help. it is awesome.

You are also awesome Miss Max - I do so wish you had come down the Bridgewater so we could meet up!

I see max has found one of my many nurseries on OUR boat. I hope she will help look after my little ones so they thrive into a blossoming community

Even though I have four pairs of hands, it can be tough rearing so many babies, which will no doubt be in the hundreds so your support is appreciated

The little ones she found is nothing compared to the ones under her pillow and bed. DO NOT LOOK, whatever you do....

Sweet dreams X

I see max has found one of my many nurseries on OUR boat. I hope she will help look after my little ones so they thrive into a blossoming community

Even though I have four pairs of hands, it can be tough rearing so many babies, which will no doubt be in the hundreds so your support is appreciated

The little ones she found is nothing compared to the ones under her pillow and bed. DO NOT LOOK, whatever you do....

Sweet dreams X

Call yourself a big hairy spider?

3A02BB7600000578-3903934-image-a-21_1478

Now that's a big spider!