Volunteer lockers; help or complete nuisance

RufusR

Featured Posts

Generally we have found vlockies most helpful.

Worst experience was another boater arrived waiting to come down as we were in the lock going up.( no we did not steal his lock!)

No sooner had I closed the bottom gate he wound up the top gate sluice as fast as he could. Our boat rocketed across the lock and into the top gates. I had to yell at him to close it immediately. Eventually he did, and then he asked 'Do you want my help, then?'. I just looked at him and said No.

We came across volockies at Atherstone on our recent trip.

Apart from the fact that they only helped with the top two locks, they were exemplary.

They asked if we wanted help, waited until I gave them a thumbs up before opening the paddles, carefully opened the paddles and were polite.

Perhaps the training has improved since the Finchers Hillmorton experience?

Edited to put the "r" back in Finchers that autokorrect had removed.

Edited again to change "velocities" back to "volockies". I hate autokorrect and my poor proof reading skills. Sigh

Edited by cuthound

On our recent trip, it wasn't the volockies who were the problem at Hillmorton, it was boaters :-). When we had gone up the week before, the towpath middle lock top gate could only be opened if I sat on it and the volockie pushed it! On the way back down, that lock was taped across as the top gate refused to play ball at all and we all had to use the off side middle lock. No problem until you get folk on 70 (or thereabouts) foot working boats who fannied around in the pound before entering the lock going up then they did it at brick counting pace. OK because of a boat moored below the lock (it's mooring, I gather) they couldn't sit "lined up" with the lock but the prancing about had to be seen to be believed by 3 such boats. They went back, forwards, got stuck on the bank (it wasn't windy) and went every which way but into the lock. It felt like about 10 minutes per boat but surely it can't have been as long as that :-)

Mind you, it did provide a bit of entertainment for me and the lock wheeler from the boat following us down :-)

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

Just been down the Southern Stratford the Volkies 8 in total at Wilmcote were fantastic, right on top of the job, the one at Bratch on the way up the Staffs & Worcester was great, he even thanked me for being helpful. It's not often I give credit to others working locks but after 60 years boating they were as good as it gets.

........No sooner had I closed the bottom gate he wound up the top gate sluice as fast as he could. Our boat rocketed across the lock and into the top gates. .........

You are lucky he waited for you to close the bottom gate.........

Just been down the Southern Stratford the Volkies 8 in total at Wilmcote were fantastic, right on top of the job, the one at Bratch on the way up the Staffs & Worcester was great, he even thanked me for being helpful. It's not often I give credit to others working locks but after 60 years boating they were as good as it gets.

The lockies at The Bratch used to be paid CRT employees IIRC. Didn't realise they had been sacked and replaced with vollies.

That seems a step backwards. The Bratch lockies are (were?) usually very competent.

I must live a sheltered life as I have only found the volunteers to be great helpers.

Doing the Droitwitch this year it was particularly helpful to have volunteers who knew all about use of side ponds .

I second this. Was a real treat as a single handed boater. They even used some weird and wonderful instrument to play a tune as I approached the lock!

The lockies at The Bratch used to be paid CRT employees IIRC. Didn't realise they had been sacked and replaced with vollies.

That seems a step backwards. The Bratch lockies are (were?) usually very competent.

How do we know the lockies replaced have actually been 'sacked'. Is it not possible that they either left voluntarily/retired or were moved elsewhere?

Is there any actually any hard evidence of any lock keepers anywhere being dismissed and directly replaced by vol. lockies or is it a bit of a myth purported by elements of the CRT bashing brigade?

When I enquired about vacancies some time ago the locations seemed to be exclusively where paid lockies didn't currently work, but perhaps things have moved on now and vol. lockies now have replaced 'paid for' staff but based on natural staff turn over/wastage?

I think its a mix, one paid and volunteer assistance. The one who helped me up there it was his first day, but the CRT one was at the top keeping an eye

I think its a mix, one paid and volunteer assistance. The one who helped me up there it was his first day, but the CRT one was at the top keeping an eye

Ah I see. When I've passed through The Bratch in daylight there has only ever been one locky, a professional one in every sense of the word.

I took you to mean the professional locky was gone and a volly in his place.

Ah I see. When I've passed through The Bratch in daylight there has only ever been one locky, a professional one in every sense of the word.

I took you to mean the professional locky was gone and a volly in his place.

I think in the summer they work shifts

Just a thought. The OP did say there were two boats in the lock. Is it possible the lockie got the nod from the steerer of the other boat? No excuse for rudeness though.

in this case no , as the other boat was my Father in law and he was as shocked as I

We came through the Bratch on a Saturday morning (beginning of this month) and an extremely helpful volunteer was in charge as it was the full time lockies day off.

The volunteer was a boater of many years experience. We, as ever, are glad of assistance but can happily manage without.

It sometimes seems rather churlish to complain about people giving their free-time up to help out. It seems akin to me complaining about my neighbour who cuts my lawn whilst I'm away, not putting stripes in the grass. Surely in both instances one can say, please don't bother. But thank you for the offer.

Rog

• Greenie 1

The OH had a moment with the vlockie at Hatton today......she let the paddles go as they are intended to...see another thread somewhere where is was discussed at length and the orginal designs were found.....and he wasn't happy.....she pointed out that's why they had rubber buffers and the gear train......he obviously took offence at a mere woman knowing such stuff....asked would she like to discuss it with the CRT manager?....she said "of course....bring him down here now"..... He wandered off in a huff.....no loss to us as together with the 3 guys on a hire boat we had a good system going.

Sad that so much knowledge is being lost across the system and inncorect advice being given....its same at Foxton too...bring back Mick & Crystal I say......

Cheers

Gareth

The OH had a moment with the vlockie at Hatton today......she let the paddles go as they are intended to...see another thread somewhere where is was discussed at length and the orginal designs were found.....and he wasn't happy.....she pointed out that's why they had rubber buffers and the gear train......he obviously took offence at a mere woman knowing such stuff....asked would she like to discuss it with the CRT manager?....she said "of course....bring him down here now"..... He wandered off in a huff.....no loss to us as together with the 3 guys on a hire boat we had a good system going.

Sad that so much knowledge is being lost across the system and inncorect advice being given....its same at Foxton too...bring back Mick & Crystal I say......

Cheers

Gareth

I can't imagine that Crystal would remain quiet if you just dropped the paddles at Foxton, rather than winding them down... :)

I think Mick and Crystal have completely left the boating world now.

Emerald was moored above Buckby top for a few years after they were stoppeed locky duties. most of last year, it lay un-used, was moored at towpath side for a week and was cleared, and has gone completely now.

I can't imagine that Crystal would remain quiet if you just dropped the paddles at Foxton, rather than winding them down... :)

No she wouldn't....but those paddles are a totally different design.....that's my point!.....and says a lot about the knowledge getting lost.

And Mick and Crystal are still afloat.....they have a mooring in a local yard...both still active and well....and much missed on the locks!.....their boat isn't emerald btw.

Edited to add the link to post discussing lowering of Ham Baker paddles

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73931

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by frangar

Cheers

Gareth

We came down the Calcutt flight a couple of years ago with a CRT workboat with an engineer inspecting the locks for planning winter maintenace. They dropped rather than wound down the paddles.

I have followed their example ever since.

For me, Frangar has hit the nail squarely on the head. There is a serious loss of knowledge these days about how and why things were done and often the tail seems to want to wag the dog, as it were. There are plenty of other examples.....not understanding that deep draughted boats need the channel, complaining about the attitudes of those operating ex working craft, the nonsense of pulling over way too soon when approaching an oncoming boat, crawling into and out of locks....I could go on.....we learned a different style of boating in earlier times, sadly not always understood today. Other oldies will understand, as will some of the more recent comers. It's less about rushing than working efficiently, letting the boat and water do the work. Enough for now.

Dave

• Greenie 1

We came down the Calcutt flight a couple of years ago with a CRT workboat with an engineer inspecting the locks for planning winter maintenace. They dropped rather than wound down the paddles.

I have followed their example ever since.

Do you bump the gates to stop your boat instead of using your ropes ropes or engine.