Volunteer lockers; help or complete nuisance

RufusR

Featured Posts

The buffer is number 38 in the diagram .

Two numbers in my head when flicking between that thread and this one and I type the wrong one. You are right, it is number 38.

I was jesting, I know that the Ham Baker gear on the northern GU is designed to be dropped, indeed I posted on an open day at Hatton here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73959

I am not so sure that designed to 'fall under gravity' is meant to be literally interpreted as 'dropped'

Lots of engineered devices fall are designed to fall or return under gravity but that does not mean they can or should be dropped..

It would better all round if we had one rule for all paddles and that is not to drop them - ie to lower them slowly..

I am not so sure that designed to 'fall under gravity' is meant to be literally interpreted as 'dropped'

Lots of engineered devices fall are designed to fall or return under gravity but that does not mean they can or should be dropped..

It would better all round if we had one rule for all paddles and that is not to drop them - ie to lower them slowly..

The problem is that the Ham Baker gear was not designed to be wound down, and it is very easy for it to run away from you, so winding down does have a level of "danger". That said we came down Hatton and back up the other side to Calcutt last weekend, and mostly we wound them down as too many do now go down with a bang, which is a real shame.

Yes you can, the rubber shock absorber is on plain view to see (when not missing!)

It's all very well saying there should be a rubber buffer in Hatton type paddles, that is plain to see if it not missing.

But for those of us not experts in paddle design, intimate with the intricate details of internal mechanisms, none of us would have a clue about whether there is a safe option to drop paddles.

On balance, readers here interested in these things, it is good engineering practice not to drop things - particularly lock paddles (any type), but to always lower them slowly, by holding the shaft - in a gloved hand - or by using the windlass - even when there is a rubber buffers at Hatton type paddles..

Before you wind the paddle up, look through the little opening in the side of the casing. The pad sits above the worm gear.

Well every day is a school day!

Thanks for that. I'll have a look next time we're out that way (which won't be for a while, 'RW' currently in Yorkshire)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway back on topic, we have been out for 2 weeks Fazeley to Stoke to Froghall to Middlewich to Barbridge to Aldersley to Stourton to Central Brum (and then back to Fazeley over this w/e). That is quite a lorra locks but how many volockies have we seen, let alone been helped by? Zero. Just one "proper" Lockie at Bratch.

Which seems surprising for July in nice weather. Maybe the novelty is wearing off? Can't say I'd be too sad if it did.