What knots in common use on Narrowboats.

wullie

Featured Posts

Lighterman's hitch

This is likely the most useful 'knot' to learn for a narrowboat.

- The other one I use is a round turn and two half hitches, or just the two half hitches, of tied on the bite.

- Otherwise, a bowline is good for a non-shrinking loop, and a reef note (not a granny) for tying around a bundle.

Best to do one or two knots well, then lots badly.

A good knot should hold fast, and come undone with ease.

Danel

Think I'd agree with the Lighterman's Hitch (because it can be undone even when under tension) and the good old bowline as a general purpose knot for most other stuff. Often I don't use actual knots particularly at locks since the last thing that you would want is for the knot to pull tight and be unable to undo it quickly in an emergency. On the lock waiting bollards I'll just wrap three or four bights around the bollard and the rope friction will often hold the boat secure (enough). As long as none of the bights have crossed you should be able to undo them under tension if necessary.

Got no pictures, but when you need a quick way of doing an eye slice.

This is for 3 stranded rope not braided.

Make the loop the size you want but leave an extra 9 - 12 inches of loose end.

Where the intersection of the loop is, twist the rope so you can open one strand on the main part of the rope and feed the loose end through to make the loop

Move 3 inches along the main part away from the loop and do the same again

Move 3 more inches and do the same again.

This isnt the neatest of eye splices but is simple and surprisingly strong when tension is applied. The one big advantage is that it can be undone and a different size made quickly. I use it on my fenders and by using a large loop the loose end can be pulled through to adjust the length required each time you moor.

Hope the description doesn't confuse you. Give it a try you may find it useful

For attaching my centre ropes to the roof I see no point in using additional shackles because you still have to attach the rope to the shackle. So I just tie my centre ropes to the eyes on the roof using a bowline with an added half-hitch to prevent it shaking apart. I don't leave the centre ropes attached when I'm not cruising as they are nylon and will become stiff if constantly exposed to UV light.

I haven't seen this anywhere - the final hitch is something I just added myself.

CAM00148_zps9csqtxa8.jpg

Is it ok or would I be better off using a water bowline shown here?

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlinewater/index.php?Categ=typeendloops&LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

I hadn't come across a water bowline before.

Edited by blackrose

Got no pictures, but when you need a quick way of doing an eye slice.

This is for 3 stranded rope not braided.

Make the loop the size you want but leave an extra 9 - 12 inches of loose end.

Where the intersection of the loop is, twist the rope so you can open one strand on the main part of the rope and feed the loose end through to make the loop

Move 3 inches along the main part away from the loop and do the same again

Move 3 more inches and do the same again.

This isnt the neatest of eye splices but is simple and surprisingly strong when tension is applied. The one big advantage is that it can be undone and a different size made quickly. I use it on my fenders and by using a large loop the loose end can be pulled through to adjust the length required each time you moor.

Hope the description doesn't confuse you. Give it a try you may find it useful

This

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/2/0/2/9/8/4/a7814984-12-Lazy%20Splice%2002.gif

I'd add a sheet bend to the above list. Useful for joining ropes temporarily (better than a reef knot), and very quick if there is an eye splice on the end of one of the ropes.

A surprisingly effective thing, the sheet bend. It looks like it should fall apart, yet is incredibly secure

Richard

Agree that the lighterman's is the single most useful knot, but I admit to dropping a clove hitch over the dolly as a short term tie at a waterpoint or lock landing, or whilst fiddling about sorting out the lines when mooring. Only on canals, though, could be seriously nasty on a river because of its capacity for jamming under load.