What knots in common use on Narrowboats.

wullie

Featured Posts

I'd add a sheet bend to the above list. Useful for joining ropes temporarily (better than a reef knot), and very quick if there is an eye splice on the end of one of the ropes.

Nearly added it myself, although actually use it rarely, it's the right but for that job. I tie a reef knot and then modify it. See also double sheetbend if using slippy rope.

Daniel

Bloody side fenders! Never had 'em in the old days....

Dave

Purely when moored. Don't like the clangers when boat bashes the side when plotted up. (PS also Thames - if you don't carry a couple of balloon type fenders on an adjustable rope it won't be long before the cabin/cabin paintwork gets wrecked (ask me how I know!).

Edited by mark99

Unless you try to join two ropes of differing diameters with it. How do I know that?

I believe the sheet bend is in fact recommended for connecting ropes of different diameters. The loop being in the thicker rope and the bend being done with the thinner. Can be made more secure by doing two turns around the loop before pulling tight. Not recomnended for synthetic slippery lines.

A knot I haven't seen for a while but which I understand was in common use by working boaters back in the day for tying onto a dolly is to do a couple of round turns and then some "figure eighting" to fix the end. Similar idea to the Lighterman's, but maybe having the potential to work tight over time.

I believe the sheet bend is in fact recommended for connecting ropes of different diameters. The loop being in the thicker rope and the bend being done with the thinner. Can be made more secure by doing two turns around the loop before pulling tight. Not recomnended for synthetic slippery lines.

A knot I haven't seen for a while but which I understand was in common use by working boaters back in the day for tying onto a dolly is to do a couple of round turns and then some "figure eighting" to fix the end. Similar idea to the Lighterman's, but maybe having the potential to work tight over time.

You can persuade a sheet bend to work with synth by passing the lighter line round the bight twice before taking it under itself, a double sheet bend.

The other thing that only struck me a few years back is that the sheet bend and bowline are actually the same knot, just made differently for different purposes.

Colin

I have used the " round turn/ figure of eight knot "since the 60s, never had it jam or tighten so it's difficult to undo. I once used it to secure a customer's boat and he was most concerned that I hadn't actually tied what he considered to be a " knot ". Silly sod!

Dave

Colin

I have used the " round turn/ figure of eight knot "since the 60s, never had it jam or tighten so it's difficult to undo. I once used it to secure a customer's boat and he was most concerned that I hadn't actually tied what he considered to be a " knot ". Silly sod!

Dave

Most people seem to use the Lighterman's these days and I tend to use it for everything. I'm interested that you've never had the figure eighting job tighten up on you as this does seem a more secure knot "turn for turn" than the Lighterman's. I shall experiment.

One good use for the Lighterman's I've found is for tying up the bow of an unloaded large GU boat, where unless you're quite bit taller than my 6'2" the T stud is hard to reach from the bank. A Lighterman's can be tied by throwing a loop, tucking under, throwing another loop and pulling tight. It can be undone remotely in the same way. Everyone's probably saying "Duh, everybody knows that", but I felt quite pleased with myself when I worked it out!

Figure of 8 knots are usually only used as an end stop on a rope, for example on the end of a sailing dinghy's mainsheet and jib sheets to prevent them from running out of a cleat or over and out of the sheave in the event of the helmsman or crew inadvertently letting go of it.

Dpends on what you are referring to.

I think Dave meant figure eight round a cleat, rather than a stopper knot. (or the figure 8 loop used in climbing!)

Best to use the OXO method on cleats rather than putting a half hitch on at the end. Means you can get them off even under tension, with a half hitch on top, no chance!

OXO = One round turn of the cleat, one or more figure of 8's on the cleat finished off with a round turn to secure but avoid jamming.

other knots (already mentioned...)

Lighterman's

Bowline

Round turn & two half hitches

Reef knot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most people seem to use the Lighterman's these days and I tend to use it for everything. I'm interested that you've never had the figure eighting job tighten up on you as this does seem a more secure knot "turn for turn" than the Lighterman's. I shall experiment.

Experiment complete:

Just got back from ten days bringing President and Kildare back from Liverpool to the Black Country Living Museum. President has a hook instead of a dolly on one side and the round turn plus figure eighting is ideal for securing the check strap from the butty's anser pin when breasting up on the hook side, and no tightening up either. Horses for courses.

Edited by colinwilks

Colin

Dave

Agree. regardless of the pull you can start at the tail and undo it provided you dont put any twists in as you put it on.

"What knots in common use on Narrowboats."

I notice the "Bird's Nest Knot" is popular with boaters these days (especially amongst those using their centre line for mooring.)

An easy knot to tie, just make it up as you go along. When you have a nice big fist of rope around your mooring stake or tee stud, its done!

"What knots in common use on Narrowboats."

I notice the "Bird's Nest Knot" is popular with boaters these days (especially amongst those using their centre line for mooring.)

An easy knot to tie, just make it up as you go along. When you have a nice big fist of rope around your mooring stake or tee stud, its done!

Otherwise known as the "buggers muddle"...

Otherwise known as the "buggers muddle"...

No, the "Bugger's Muddle" is the self-tying knot you find in a length of line initially free of knots, that ties itself inexplicably and without any intervention form the boater.

As you yourself explained in post 19!

No, the "Bugger's Muddle" is the self-tying knot you find in a length of line initially free of knots, that ties itself inexplicably and without any intervention form the boater.

Hosepipes and shorelines also show this behaviour...

In fact, I find coiling a long electric cable far more difficult than an ordinary rope line as you can't get the feel for which way and how much to rotate the line in your fingers as you add it to the coil. Given half a chance, the whole coil pulls into a figure of eight shape.

Edit for spellage.

Edited by BruceinSanity

Ahh. I see I did't read your post properly.

I see that the "Bird's Nest" differs from the "Bugger's Muddle" by virtue of the method of tying.

They can be similar in appearance though...