Tim & Pru New Series

pig

Featured Posts

Yes, but if we were all to do that you might feel differently!

I was very tempted to say it was awful, to keep all the English away!

Glad to see you got fixed up with a good 'un. I remember her tied outside The Anchor years ago and lusted after her then. Mind, I did go to Letchworth Grammar School!

We hired on the Erne earlier this year. The weather wasn't the best and cruising on the Erne is totally different to canal and river cruising in England, except maybe for some of the rivers.

You are issued with a comprehensive chart and powerful binoculars. Navigation is very specific, and if I had not taken a compass we would have had great difficulty. You need to follow a strict course and whereas on our canals you may run aground on mud, there are lots of rocks. We were hoping to cruise the lower Lough Erne, but after leaving Eniskillen and experiencing lumpy water up to 3ft waves, we turned back about 30 mins shy of the line on the chart that warned us in windy weather, the Lough can be rough after this point!!!!

Cruising the Upper Lough and the river Erne was enjoyable, but you still need to concentrate. The locals are wonderful and some of the scenery is stunning. Traffic is light, and mooring provision is firstclass, although shore side attractions are few and far between. If you like isolation, then it iis ideal.

We've just watched the Ireland episode. It looked fantastic scenery, and a guaranteed warm welcome in the local hostelries. Has any member of the forum cruised over there? We could be very tempted.

Check out www.bargehawthorn

Giles and Jill sailed across to Ireland a few years ago and seem to be enjoying the life.

Steve

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pru doesn't seem to be coping too well with the practicalities of boating & looks increasingly frail so can't see them making another series ?

She did do brilliantly at the Shakespeare anniversary though?

Edited by Jamboat

Pru doesn't seem to be coping too well with the practicalities of boating & looks increasingly frail so can't see them making another series ?

She did do brilliantly at the Shakespeare anniversary though?

That is what we thought too, given that was filmed last summer by this summer it is hard to see that either of them would be up to it.

I still love the series, but a shame that Tim with all his yeas of experience has no idea which eye of the windlass to use on narrow locks with tapered spindles. His performance on the Windlass looked more haphazard to me than most of the things he manages to do (or not to do!) at the tiller.

They need crew, not just for a brief bit of the journey. I'm not sure viewers would want to watch Great Canal Journeys with someone else doing the locks, though maybe it could work if they take an interesting (and fit) guest celebrity along each time.

• Greenie 2

Good idea, Peter - although I suspect that, when the boat is not on camera, there are other people helping, not just the family members who occasionally materialise for a few miles.

I enjoyed the last programme and have always loved the Stratford down to the Avon. I did though at times find myself grimacing and worrying about their general safety and ability to handle the physical side of canal boating. They do not always look comfortable in their endeavours these days imo.

I enjoyed the last programme and have always loved the Stratford down to the Avon. I did though at times find myself grimacing and worrying about their general safety and ability to handle the physical side of canal boating. They do not always look comfortable in their endeavours these days imo.

Given their age and state of health perhaps they should wear life jackets even on canals. Although I cringe at times I think it's marvelous that they still get out there on the water. There are very few 'celebs' who go canal boating and I'm surprised there aren't more.

But I have mixed feelings about these programmes because they attract more people to this wonderful life. I know that's a little selfish of me but I don't want our waterways to become too crowded !!

Given their age and state of health perhaps they should wear life jackets even on canals. Although I cringe at times I think it's marvelous that they still get out there on the water. There are very few 'celebs' who go canal boating and I'm surprised there aren't more.

But I have mixed feelings about these programmes because they attract more people to this wonderful life. I know that's a little selfish of me but I don't want our waterways to become too crowded !!

DIMBLEBY.jpg

:)

I think if he is still capable of playing Lear, he should be OK in a boat. I'm sure they pick the most dramatic bits to screen - more fun watching them hit things than wandering serenely down the middle.

Absolutely, if there is no conflict or drama, there is no programme.

I'm not too convinced that having a 'celebrity' along would be the right approach, the gentle charm of Pru and Timothy is enough for me.

Plus I find the whole celeb thing an anethema, just the thought of having Ant and soddin' Dec giving it cheeky chappie routine at a lock makes me want to put them in a sack and club them repeatedly before lobbing them into the deepest part of the cut. Or the Challenger Deep.

Edited by Klanky
  • Greenie 3

Absolutely, if there is no conflict or drama, there is no programme.

I'm not too convinced that having a 'celebrity' along would be the right approach, the gentle charm of Pru and Timothy is enough for me.

Plus I find the whole celeb thing an anethema, just the thought of having Ant and soddin' Dec giving it cheeky chappie routine at a lock makes me want to put them in a sack and club them repeatedly before lobbing them into the deepest part of the cut. Or the Challenger Deep.

Please do not use the cut for disposal - just imagine if it was your prop that caught it . . . Hedges are much better but those large bins are OK, unless tipped into a lock, as earlier this week.

Please do not use the cut for disposal - just imagine if it was your prop that caught it . . . Hedges are much better but those large bins are OK, unless tipped into a lock, as earlier this week.

Sorry, you are right of course.

I suppose I'd have to drag them off for landfill...... unless there are any dedicated Celebrity Disposal Points on the system?

Edited by Klanky