Tim & Pru New Series

pig

Featured Posts

Really enjoyed this programme but she does look frail, they seem so devoted..its a lovely fluffy bunny programme

I agree, she has an increasingly vague look about her too as well as her obvious increasing physical frailty. We watched the Canal Du Midi episode from the first series this afternoon and the difference in her is noticeable.

Good program tonight and its the first one I've watched of the new series.

And Reginald even more so!

I'm confused now because I saw a boat that as it briefly flashed past I thought was Reginald, but I didn't think it was called Reginald, is that the boat in question's correct name?

Ed Ignore this Sussed via, Google/you tube.

What I briefly saw as the boat name is in fact the 'home' location.

Edited by MJG

After their son departed, I wondered who was going to be doing the Hatton flight for them. Call me cynical, but it was very fortunate that they met that mob-handed CRT workboat at the top. However in reality, help would be available from someone. Sooner or later some head-banger of a boater like me who enjoys the work of doing locks would come along. Or often you meet a hire boat whose crew make up in numbers and enthusiasm what they lack in knowledge, and they'd make a winning combination with an elderly boater who has knowledge but whose sole crew member lacks the strength to do a big flight of locks.

Anyway, it was a great program to watch and made me feel I can't wait for Wednesday when I hope to be back on the water after a three month gap (see under Crew Swap)

I love this program, but what was this so called "record" they are supposed to have broken at Hatton?

Maybe I missed it, and it was some time they have achieved themselves when they have boated the flight as younger people?

Certainly working boat people regularly worked Hatton in under 2 hours, so whatever record it is, it is not an all comers record!

I love this program, but what was this so called "record" they are supposed to have broken at Hatton?

Maybe I missed it, and it was some time they have achieved themselves when they have boated the flight as younger people?

Certainly working boat people regularly worked Hatton in under 2 hours, so whatever record it is, it is not an all comers record!

Best time for me (and a large crew) is 80 minutes which I would like to see beaten!

Tim

The way to set a record for a lock flight is if most of the traffic is going the other way. We made no attempt to time ourselves, but when paulmeds and I came down the locks from the South Oxford summit to Cropredy one Tuesday in July we flew along. For some reason, probably to do with a hire company timetable, everyone else was going up, so each lock we came to was full ready for us.

If you had sufficient crew, then some could go ahead and set each lock + get its gate(s) open, assuming little/no other traffic. Boats coming the other way, while leaving the lock empty/full/whatever, inevitibly will delay you a little because you're bound to also come across a lock set against you where you need to wait for the oncoming boat to enter it, do the lock, then leave it (rather than just turning the lock which obviously doesn't involve a set of gates opening and closing too).

Edited by Paul C

I find that too many boats coming towards you slows you down at Hatton, you end up waiting for them to come out of locks or move off the line. If you have the crew its faster someone setting ahead so each lock is ready for you and there is no one in the way.

If you had sufficient crew, then some could go ahead and set each lock + get its gate(s) open, assuming little/no other traffic. Boats coming the other way, while leaving the lock empty/full/whatever, inevitibly will delay you a little because you're bound to also come across a lock set against you where you need to wait for the oncoming boat to enter it, do the lock, then leave it (rather than just turning the lock which obviously doesn't involve a set of gates opening and closing too).

Great minds think alike

I agree, those struggles come to most of us as we get older its not something to make a joke of.

I disagree. Joking about it is one of the ways that many people deal with the problems of aging.

I don't think he was being entirely serious when he talked about breaking records. I took his comment as tongue in cheek and not meant to be taken literally, I think he was just pleased that they were able to do it in a reasonable time.

Edited by blackrose

They were trying to break the CaRT crews own record. Or pb if you like.

Ah, that makes more sense.

In the bits shown traffic coming the other way was surprisingly absent, I thought - it hardly looked like a typical day at Hatton.

I loved the bit about "despite being an actor I hate this dressing up stuff" from Tim, although Pru seemed even less impressed about the boatwoman costume!

(Thank goodness I spotted I had mistyped as "batwoman" before posting - Athy would not have let that go unnoticed, I think!).

(Thank goodness I spotted I had mistyped as "batwoman" before posting - Athy would not have let that go unnoticed, I think!).

Moi?

Wasn't Batwoman the person who ran that controversial children's charity? Or am I mistaken?

Surely Batwoman is an older Batgirl .Strange wasn't it always Batman and Superman never Batboy etc.

Any way back on topic as I have thought previously Tim is struggling to accept Prues frailties telling her to step ashore with an increasing gap a few years ago maybe.