Tim & Pru New Series

pig

Featured Posts

Anyone for a sweepstake on how many times? Tim mentions "Boating is a contact sport" in the first program.

Did he ever say it more than once in any previous program? I got the impression from his expression that he understood it is not really a valid excuse, and was perhaps being tongue in cheek.

• Greenie 1

Did he ever say it more than once in any previous program? I got the impression from his expression that he understood it is not really a valid excuse, and was perhaps being tongue in cheek.

Well said sir

And thank you for a touch of realism

We watched Tim and Pru last night, which was very interesting. But - whilst I am sure he was a better helmsman in his younger years, watching him running aground because he was on the wrong side of the river, and hitting things because of carelessness, re-affirmed my decision to give up boating before I bacame a menace to others.

On the plus side I was amazed to see Pru, at 83, climbing a lock ladder with comparative ease.

I watched Tim and Pru all day yesterday I think their lovely, but i would imagine being that famous would bring too much attention from people when they just want to relax.

When they came to the lock that was smashed everyone was gorping and tim and pru's son obviously could not wait to get away from it all.

I guess when we age we will all crash a bit more.

Edited by GreyLady

We watched Tim and Pru last night, which was very interesting. But - whilst I am sure he was a better helmsman in his younger years, watching him running aground because he was on the wrong side of the river, and hitting things because of carelessness, re-affirmed my decision to give up boating before I bacame a menace to others.

Are you suggesting Trevor Maggs should already have given up, then? :lol:

(For clarity I am not talking about Trevor's competency, which I could never aspire to - I'm talking about the fact he single hans a working boat at a similar age to Tim and Pru).

I stay convinced it's all down to the producer / director. He/she wants diversion from "just chigging through the water".

The incidents on the Wey last night were manufactured. Only a complete novice would take a line up with a bridge in the way or perhaps even without one.

Ditto the wrong type of windlass.

I find it most distressing - hammering both the 'contact sport' and Prue's Alzheimer's condition in every edition demeaning both to them and the pastime of boating. Otherwise it was pleasant to see locations muddled up.

• Greenie 2

Having done that trip a few weeks later the communication between skipper and crew and rope throwing (or not) was far too near the truth, I am sure we were laughing at parts that were not meant to be funny.

I am not so sure Tim is not suffering a bit of memory problem because Pru did not want to take the rope in the way she was instructed to. Also the actual landing point for that lock is on the other side of the navigation and back a little. Using it would have made getting into the lock easier. I also felt that Tim occasionally to a very odd line at times, but not where a director might have been involved.

Still if it raises the general awareness of inland navigation so much the better. I agree they should tone down references to Pru's "problems".

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the pair of them in terms of their safety when boating.

I know there's a lot of hype in the production and I know they are vastly experienced but.......

They are doing a lot for the awareness of boating but surely there must come a time when they say "Enough now"

I've edited this three times before posting and it still doesn't read right

There are those that are old eighty year olds, some are dodgery eighty year olds and some are spritely eighty year olds.

My belief is that Tim is a bit unsteady on his feet, don't know about his mental state and we know about Pru's issue.

They enjoy making these programmes I gather, but I think it time to 'hand over the helm' to others.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

I find it most distressing - hammering both the 'contact sport' and Prue's Alzheimer's condition in every edition demeaning both to them and the pastime of boating. Otherwise it was pleasant to see locations muddled up.

I agree, those struggles come to most of us as we get older its not something to make a joke of.

We lost a family member to complecations arising from Alziemer's last night, its a horrid monster of a disease.

I say good on Tim and d Pru for making the most of life while they can.........

Edited by GreyLady

Lovely people but every program I have seen he seems to ram something.

Maybe for everyone else s safety, and to save maintenance

on hired boats and the waterways structure's. maybe it is time they retired.

A question I have asked a few old boaters struggling to operate a lock.

Have they ever considered a static caravan?

Lovely people but every program I have seen he seems to ram something.

I have rammed things myself in the past

And probably will in the future

And I have the occasional "minor bump", "rub" or "touch" on a fairly regular basis.

Hands up anyone who doesn't (or hasn't)

Comments to me about "static caravans" would be best made when I am far from the canal edge and not carrying a windlass biggrin.png