Tim & Pru New Series

pig

Featured Posts

No body has mentioned navigating after dark on a hire boat.

Normally this is not allowed but maybe he got special dispensation to do so.

(we didn't see it in the program but he referred to doing it the previous night whilst Pru slept.)

(we didn't see it in the program but he referred to doing it the previous night whilst Pru slept.)

Was it dark, I guess it was shot in the summer time. besides they hadn't hired a boat and I expect the whole lot was underwritten by the TV company insurance. I can't imagin Napton Narrowboats standard boat insurance covering making a TV program. Its not against the law to navigate at night,

Was it dark, I guess it was shot in the summer time. besides they hadn't hired a boat and I expect the whole lot was underwritten by the TV company insurance. I can't imagin Napton Narrowboats standard boat insurance covering making a TV program. Its not against the law to navigate at night,

He mentioned using the headlight on the boat so I assumed it was dark.

To be clear I wasn't saying it was against any 'law' I was saying most hire companies (including Napton AFAIK) don't allow navigation after dark.

http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/information/terms_and_conditions.php

Interestingly Napton link it to bye laws of the waterways which is actually not correct.

You must observe the Navigation Authorities byelaws, including in particular, the rule that you must not navigate after sunset, or before dawn (before 8am on River Thames)

Other hire companies we have used just say they don't allow it.

eg Ashby just say

9.1.4 Not to navigate after sunset or before sunrise.
Edited by MJG

He mentioned using the headlight on the boat so I assumed it was dark.

To be clear I wasn't saying it was against any 'law' I was saying most hire companies (including Napton AFAIK) don't allow navigation after dark.

http://www.napton-marina.co.uk/information/terms_and_conditions.php

Interestingly Napton link it to bye laws of the waterways which is actually not correct.

You must observe the Navigation Authorities byelaws, including in particular, the rule that you must not navigate after sunset, or before dawn (before 8am on River Thames)

Other hire companies we have used just say they don't allow it.

eg Ashby just say

9.1.4 Not to navigate after sunset or before sunrise.

Night navigation is expressly forbidden on the Middle Levels, but we don't see many Napton boats around here.

From memory, they did navigate a hireboat in the dark in the previous series.

From memory, they did navigate a hireboat in the dark in the previous series.

I think you are right. He may indeed be covered by some special dispensation or indeed the cover provided by the TV company as suggested by DC above.

I do wonder though how many hire boaters watch will realise they are not actually allowed to though (given some people are often notoriously bad at reading small print).

Still it was a good program though.

Edited by MJG

I think you are right. He may indeed be covered by some special dispensation or indeed the cover provided by the TV company as suggested by DC above.

I do wonder though how many hire boaters watch will realise they are not actually allowed to though (given some people are often notoriously bad at reading small print).

Still it was a good program though.

I'll watch it this evening. I went through Braunston June when the rally was on. I thought that hire boats were allowed to travel in the dark if necessary to get to the pub. unsure.png Only joking.

I watched the film Bullitt at the weekend, I'm sure I saw Steve McQueen speeding, amongst a number of other motoring offences - who do I complain to?

Whoever you like.

Who was complaining BTW?

I imagine the free publicity for the hire boat companies is so valuable that they are prepared to be very flexible in what Tim and Pru do and don't do.

There is a photo of them in the 2016 Anglo Welsh brochure, available online. If I'm not mistaken they are on a Shire Cruisers boat.

Lovely people but every program I have seen he seems to ram something.

Maybe for everyone else s safety, and to save maintenance

on hired boats and the waterways structure's. maybe it is time they retired.

A question I have asked a few old boaters struggling to operate a lock.

Have they ever considered a static caravan?

why? i am one of your so called old boaters, and object to that comment

dont think he said he was navigating after dark. i understood him to have said he was on the front of the boat, and looking at the shadows in the trees, with the headlight on ,as he mentioned his wife had gone to bed

dont think he said he was navigating after dark. i understood him to have said he was on the front of the boat, and looking at the shadows in the trees, with the headlight on ,as he mentioned his wife had gone to bed

You may be right, I could have mis-understood.

Just watched it again and the bit of B&W film as they are making their way out of Birmingham has a couple of wide beam boats that and the background looks a bit like one of the slides for sale on ebay. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80293&hl=slides

Anyone know where it was.

Just watched it again and the bit of B&W film as they are making their way out of Birmingham has a couple of wide beam boats that and the background looks a bit like one of the slides for sale on ebay. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=80293&hl=slides

Anyone know where it was.

I think it is fair to assume that the brief footage they include that showed the wide beam boats had nothing to do with Birmingham. There is bags of available archive film that does, so a bit odd they used what they did.

I was intrigued to see very brief footage of the women wartime "Trainees" as work that clearly showed Emma Smith, (author of "Maiden's Trip") at the tiller of a motor boat. Other footage of the trainees was shown that is now quite well known, but I'm always pleased to see when something else new appears.

There is also good footage available of Sonia South/Smith/Rolt working boats with her first husband George Smith, and in view of Sonia being a key part of the program content it might have been good had some of that been included as well.

I think it is fair to assume that the brief footage they include that showed the wide beam boats had nothing to do with Birmingham. There is bags of available archive film that does, so a bit odd they used what they did.

But any idea where that odd bit is with the wide beam

I have just watched it again, with a bit more critical eye then last night.

They went from the centre of Birmingham down Farmers Bridge and Ashsted, the filming stopped there, and they appeared at Catherine de Barnes supposidly having spent the night there. They carried on "the next day" to Kingswood, although some of the features that they showned before they got to the top of Knowle are actaully between Kingswood and Hatton.

Then they went from Kingswood Saltisford Arm in Warwick, again in a day. As they arrived at the top of Hatton a boat on its own was just starting to go down the top lock, lucky that the CRT boat moored behind Tawny on the long term moorings had not gone down with that boat then :) As has been said it was the work boat crews record to 2:30 that they were chasin down Hatton.

From Saltisford they went round the corner to Cape Locks, and then teleported past 20 locks and picked up their own boat at Calcutt marina and went to Braunston.

Each of the segments could have been filmed weeks apart I guess, it's show biz.

Having said all that I did enjoy the program, the style is quite nice, and it is good to see familiar places.

Lovely people but every program I have seen he seems to ram something.

Maybe for everyone else s safety, and to save maintenance

on hired boats and the waterways structure's. maybe it is time they retired.

A question I have asked a few old boaters struggling to operate a lock.

Have they ever considered a static caravan?

If you watch Tim entering one of the locks, he has lots of room, puts the boat off course, then rams the lock as he is going in. Convinced me the producers "advise" him to do this.

The programme has made me want to visit Birmingham.

Not something I would ever have thought possible before. :)

Really? I'm surprised... and others, for instance Dave Moore I'd guess from recent posts, will be mortified! Have a look at the stoppages and set sail asap!

I can't say I relish a visit to the city centre shops, but it's a great area to cruise with so much heritage and things to see and do. That's before we even start on beer and some of the Black Country pubs! Not exclusively Black Country pubs either before I get myself into bother.;)

We have just come back from Birmingham and its a really nice city , the library is well worth an afternoon with its roof garden and a room full of old maps as is the museum which has the Staffordshire hoard on display. And the boating is good too there is so much to see, my favourite bits are the old main line and the Wyrley and Essington. At times on both you could think you were in the country. Not only that but most of the locks are in good nick, we went up the Wolverhampton 21 in 2 1/4 hrs which is faster than we have ever done the Atherstone 11

We moored at the Black country museum ( allow a full day to go round it) and by the old turn junction both quiet and trouble free.

Yes I can thoroughly recommend Brum .

Top Cat

Really? I'm surprised... and others, for instance Dave Moore I'd guess from recent posts, will be mortified! Have a look at the stoppages and set sail asap!

I can't say I relish a visit to the city centre shops, but it's a great area to cruise with so much heritage and things to see and do. That's before we even start on beer and some of the Black Country pubs! Not exclusively Black Country pubs either before I get myself into bother.wink.png

Twas only jesting. Us Londoners get so much stick about Lahndahn being a tip. Well some of us like it!

In fact for our works annual weekend outing and night out, I have voted for Brum. Got nothing to do with canals oh no! smile.png

Edited by mark99