Slow Down?????

Featured Posts

Anyone noticed that a boat rocks more in some waters than others? Ours does.

Last year we took out some friends who had never been on a boat before. On stepping aboard the wife said "Ooo it moves". Coming from a lifetime of all sorts of boating I had to bite my lip!

The moaners do go on engine sound , im in a cruiser and was on tick over heading past moored boats on the t&m , not even a ripple , but I had a generator running at the front deck on boat , the sound of that was enough to get the head popping moaners out , you would think they would notice a big yellow generator running but noooo , abuse instead .

Get a caravan you moaning gits.

Our Avon dinghy with seagull outboard can make a fair wash. I got told off by the serial moaner on our marina once for rocking his boat.

Also our previous 32ft Nb despite having a tiny engine could make a fair wash, greater than our present 57 footer, which can travel faster.

Canoes can fair rock a moored boat i notice too.

Anyone noticed that a boat rocks more in some waters than others? Ours does.

That is very true although apparently counter-intuitive. We were on the K & A during the 2014 Devizes - Westminster canoe race and every time one came past we were rocked quite dramatically. Have to say that the thought of sticking my head out of the window and saying something about 'Tick-over' never even entered the equation rolleyes.gif .I was just impressed that so many people were crazy enough to try to do it in 24hours!

I have a remote control which works on the engines of passing boats. It is built in to my stern door. If I open the door the revs of passing engines drop while they pass and then speed up after they are clear, though I haven't noticed any changes in boat speed through the water. If I keep the door closed then no revs diminution occurs in many cases. The bow door works in the same way. And smoke from the stove does too! Fascinating!

I have a remote control which works on the engines of passing boats. It is built in to my stern door. If I open the door the revs of passing engines drop while they pass and then speed up after they are clear, though I haven't noticed any changes in boat speed through the water. If I keep the door closed then no revs diminution occurs in many cases. The bow door works in the same way. And smoke from the stove does too! Fascinating!

Bet it doesn't work in the rain though.

Go as fast as you like. I've noticed so many go full steam past us it just makes me moor a bit better than I used to including not mooring near ledges or rough walls. I also fender up properly; problem solved.

From my experience it depends on the boat not the speed.

Ok, five pages into this topic and everyone seems to be anti the moaners. The law of averages suggest some forum members bellow out of their side hatches, come own up, who are you.

Not me. I'm too busy yelling at the mountain bikers on the towpath.

Wouldn't this qualify you as one of those "nob" (or is it "knob") boaters you are always telling us about.....

..... Wait no - that is those with ex-working boats isn't it - it could never apply to a Hudson owner, could it?

Well firstly my post was in response to a request of what someone should do in response to the shout (was it MtB? can't remember), and secondly there is no connection between nob and knob. Nob is of course an acronym for "Nice Old Boy", dontcher know?

Anyway, tonight my rant is directed towards doggers, so Noxious Obstreperous Boatmen don't get a look in. There is far too much dogging going on on this river (Trent) keep having to shoo the pet poopers off our boat. There is one NB with 5 collie type mutts, actually they are quite friendly but really, should you let your dog off the boat unsupervised for an hour or so, to roam around the lock area, the barbecue area the visitor mooring wall and the floating pontoons, clambering onto other folks boats? How would you know if it had done a big steaming dump next to our BBQ, or anywhere else for that matter? Anyway it got its cummuppence when, having spent 15 mins sniffing round our BBQ it trotted off down the ramp onto the pontoon and straight onto our boat. It was not expecting Jeff to run down after it and chase it off, and keep chasing it for some time since he is a marathon runner. Looking at its owners I doubt the sausage muncher realised that humans can run!

Bet it doesn't work in the rain though.

It's well known that there's no need to slow down when it's raining, especially on a Sunday afternoon, (not that I'm suggesting that the miscreants are heading back to their off-line mooring or anything, no no no).

I saw a sign on a balance beam today, it says Save Water - keep two locks apart.

I wrote a sign to go next to it and taped it on:

Save Money - cut Richard Parry's bonus in half!

Edited by Emerald Fox
  • Greenie 1

I'd figured the same, became very obvious after a 270 mile journey in a boat with a BMC1800 and an eroded prop which tried to do an unsteerable 0.3mph on tickover and drew complaints at 1.4mph, people are complaining based on engine pitch and nothing else. I'm in the middle of converting my little Springer to Electric drive, I plan on playing a recording of an old Bolinder or similar everywhere I go for a year as an experiment to see if that reduces the whiners.

I'm sure the thing about engine pitch is true. Probably why the correct answer to the question 'When should I slow down for moored boats?' is: Far away enough to make a difference, but close enough so they can hear you do it.

I saw a sign on a balance beam today, it says Save Water - keeps two locks apart.

This made me laugh! It immediately brought to mind a picture of a man standing in the canal with both arms outstretched holding back two locks which were trying to get nearer one another :-) . Ok I know what the sign means but that picture just leaped into my mind. Thank you for brightening up the morning

haggis

PS don't really need the morning brightening up as we are off boating tomorrow to the Wheel to attend a trail boat rally then down to the Helix for the official opening by Princes Anne.

Well I've been right properly moaned at on Facebook after suggesting to one person who was moaning that her boat was moved by a fast moving boat that she might have thought to use a spring or a well placed pin rather than the "poorly placed rings" (her words) or indeed looked for somewhere more suitable to moor...Am I bovvered? Yes boats passing too fast are annoying but so is the way some people insist on mooring up then moaning!

Cheers

Gareth

Well I've been right properly moaned at on Facebook after suggesting to one person who was moaning that her boat was moved by a fast moving boat that she might have thought to use a spring or a well placed pin rather than the "poorly placed rings" (her words) or indeed looked for somewhere more suitable to moor...Am I bovvered? Yes boats passing too fast are annoying but so is the way some people insist on mooring up then moaning!

Cheers

Gareth

Apparently some people just want to have a good moan, and want to receive sympathetic outrage. They don't want their self righteous angst derailed by some boring and practical solution to prevent it happening again. Of course I am absolutely not suggesting that this is gender-related.

Cheers

Gareth

There is no such thing as poorly placed rings, it's the donuts that don't know what a spring is for that are the problem.

This time last year I had an argument with an old fella at 5 miles from anywhere pub, Upware, on the Cam. Ignorant old sod had moored leaving little room for me as he wanted his ropes 90 degrees to the rings. After a heated debate he eventually moved up and tied correctly.

Its very rare we tie up for the night with just two ropes, the main exception being on a floating pontoon type mooring when the ropes can be pulled up tight with no worries.

There is no such thing as poorly placed rings, it's the donuts that don't know what a spring is for that are the problem.

This time last year I had an argument with an old fella at 5 miles from anywhere pub, Upware, on the Cam. Ignorant old sod had moored leaving little room for me as he wanted his ropes 90 degrees to the rings. After a heated debate he eventually moved up and tied correctly.

Its very rare we tie up for the night with just two ropes, the main exception being on a floating pontoon type mooring when the ropes can be pulled up tight with no worries.

I couldn't agree more. Two spring lines and a couple of fenders and you can pass me as fast as you like. As others have explained it's the fore and aft movement caused by water displacement that creates the problem but most narrowboaters don't understand this.

Having said that, a fair few builders are complicit in this by not providing any means of attaching a spring line other than at the extreme ends of the boat, which can create a hazard in itself.

Cheers

Gareth

I tried to suggest the same thing but that wasn't the message they were looking for.

I tried to suggest the same thing but that wasn't the message they were looking for.

Lol....seemed not...then the braying hoards started.....oh well....I really found it all quite amusing!...I dare say my head will be placed on a stake soon!

Cheers

Gareth

A few years ago here the bridge at the end of the mooring was rebuilt. While this was going on there was a lack of space and boats were overlapped. During this time a boat that didn't slow down caused a bit of shifting and banging about, nothing was going anywhere but it was annoying. There were 3 in particular that regularly went in and out of the arm quite fast. One I had a word with and everything was fine - no shouting, just asked him to slow down, all was good. Another someone else had a word with and again, all was good. Still going in and out, just slowly. Happiness reigned.

The third, moored at the time at Cooper's yard was less than co-operative and they were in and out most days to Walsall running a trip/community project of some sort. I could tell they were coming long before they came through bridge hole as our boat, tied up semi breasted, would start to move. I asked them, if while the end mooring was lost and we were tied up like some kind of floating shanty town if they could slow down when they came past the moorings. He told me to **** off. This narked me a little bit so a few day later when I could feel the boat moving I went out, and sure enough it was him on his way back so I untied the front of my boat and let it go so it was dragged out in front of his boat. Walked down my boat onto the tow path, over to the back of his boat as told him I said I was sure I must have misheard him last time we spoke. He assured me that I had biggrin.png

That was the end of boats coming past too fast. These days, now the moorings are all back you can come past as fast as you like, I'll barely know anything

Edited by Sabcat

Having just become a proud grand dad for the first time, I just thought a quick comment on the baby on board sticker thing. Apparantly they were invented after an older couple were involved in a car crash and the emergency crews missed the baby in the back because they didn't expect to be looking for one. So whilst I too am not impressed with 'little princess' stickers etc. I think I might be putting a sticker in the back window for a couple of years and I will just have to suffer the derision of my fellow human beings.

I think you've been suckered by an urban myth!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.asp

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Canoes can fair rock a moored boat i notice too.

One of the biggest rockings my boat ever received was when a canoe (well actually a kayak) went past.

Beats me how a boat so small can give such a shaking to a 25 ton narrowboat!unsure.png