Slow Down?????

Featured Posts

Maybe I've been lucky, but this works for me. On the rare occasions when we're moored up for more than a day or two, I use four mooring pins - two forward and two aft. At each end, one rope is at 45 deg or so forward, and one at 45 deg aft. Sure, one or two lines may need tightening after 3 or 4 days, but the point about ropes being slackened by passing boats is this - the more you can prevent any movement in the first place, the less they will be slackened - four ropes does that for me.

Edited by homer2911

With my old 22ft dawncraft I ran lines to pins in front and behind bow and stern, then same lines from pin to the centre cleat on the gunnels, it was rock solid even in gales. I intend to do similar with the 32 ft narrowboat, but maybe the pins will be in from the bow and stern, effect should be the same.

Just been to look at the fb thread, poor Gareth! I reckon it's always possible to use springs, 2 mooring points on boat, 2 rings, long ropes, when is it not possible? A moaner has moaned at me that it isn't possible cos the rings are in the wrong place.

Just been to look at the fb thread, poor Gareth! I reckon it's always possible to use springs, 2 mooring points on boat, 2 rings, long ropes, when is it not possible? A moaner has moaned at me that it isn't possible cos the rings are in the wrong place.

Lol! Saw you had commented....I have to say if people thought here had cliques then it's nothing compared to the NUG group on Facebook.

I must admit I've found that whole thread on there quite funny....I know I shouldn't have..... but if a passing boat, however fast, can cause the type of damage suggested (furniture falling over....broken ornaments etc) then I wonder what a choppy river could do?....I really think some people don't ever expect their boat to move!

Thanks for having a comment though....we are both dammed now!

Cheers

Gareth

"Dave Clinton" has just joined the fray too. He's well damned!

Early button press edit.

That thread is just getting better and better!.....I bet it wasn't the sort of reaction the OP or indeed some of the other people who have replied expected....sadly though it does say a lot about some boaters...and I'm not just talking about the ones who speed!

Cheers

Gareth

Our home mooring is on line and very shallow, but I really don't care what speed people go by at because we tie up properly. In case anyone has got this far down the thread without reading how its done, we use 4 ropes all at at 45 degrees to the boat pointing fore and aft. I usually tighten the ropes after the first day back at base, I try and do this while a boat passes to take advantage of any movement.

We use the same technique when we are out but usually just three ropes. As for awkwardly spaced rings, if they are too bad dont use them.

So go past our mooring at your own chosen speed, if you slow down thats nice as we have more time to exchange pleasantries.

I slow down when passing moored boats out of courtesy because it is expected and don't want the unpleasantness from those who love to moan. Mind you even then it happens occasionally, I just shrug it off.

T C

• Greenie 2

Our home mooring is on line and very shallow, but I really don't care what speed people go by at because we tie up properly. In case anyone has got this far down the thread without reading how its done, we use 4 ropes all at at 45 degrees to the boat pointing fore and aft. I usually tighten the ropes after the first day back at base, I try and do this while a boat passes to take advantage of any movement.

We use the same technique when we are out but usually just three ropes. As for awkwardly spaced rings, if they are too bad dont use them.

So go past our mooring at your own chosen speed, if you slow down thats nice as we have more time to exchange pleasantries.

I slow down when passing moored boats out of courtesy because it is expected and don't want the unpleasantness from those who love to moan. Mind you even then it happens occasionally, I just shrug it off.

T C

I have given you a greenie.

Serial moaners, you know who you are, take note. The above is how to tie up your boat.

T C

And to think I always went to a lot of trouble to slow down when passing yours.

Lol! Saw you had commented....I have to say if people thought here had cliques then it's nothing compared to the NUG group on Facebook.

I must admit I've found that whole thread on there quite funny....I know I shouldn't have..... but if a passing boat, however fast, can cause the type of damage suggested (furniture falling over....broken ornaments etc) then I wonder what a choppy river could do?....I really think some people don't ever expect their boat to move!

Thanks for having a comment though....we are both dammed now!

Cheers

Gareth

Don't forget the danger to the pets and human life - that's me dammed to . I didn't realise swearing and personal insults was so common on that site.

Don't forget the danger to the pets and human life - that's me dammed to . I didn't realise swearing and personal insults was so common on that site.

It makes here look quite tame....it's soooo funny!....I may have to seek these people out and perhaps feel the need to clear the prop with some vigorous forward and reverse as I pass.....

Cheers

Gareth

I'm impressed that the general consensus seems to be that you can pass as fast as you like and if a boat rocks it's because the moorer doesn't know how to tie up their boat properly, that's inconsiderate genious... And people have mentioned the wash, but it's the draw from the prop that rocks boats, if you put it in neutral and go passed just as fast the moored boats don't tend to move.

Casp'

Just seen an E4 advert where there's a boat chugging along with a sign, "Rock my boat", or something similar, anyway, it chugs passed a boat with 2 ladies sat on the front; I imagine them shouting "slow down", but they just wave happily....

Casp'

Sickle already has its tick over adjusted down to the point where the engine can end up stalling, but still needs knocking out of gear in some situations to minimise wash - but I'm happy to keep it in gear for those that have signs that insist I do!

Lemontoes' Tonka has the opposoite problem. At tickover (750 revs - Kubota/Beta marine 35HP {I have no idea about the prop}) it does probably about half a mile per hour. I reckon about 1200 revs is about a mile and a half per hour and therefore a reasonable speed to pass moored boats - at least they don't move much at those revs.

For the first time ever I recently encountered a serial moaner. This was a couple of locks below fishery lock on the GU. As I passed her just coming out of the lock so no chance of speed build up I heard a voice from Mon Bateau "In a rush?" (sarcasm abounds). As I turned to look at who was was complaining I just saw a body dipping out of sight so no chance to reply. A week later I was coming back the other way. I had already slowed to approach the lock when I got "Its inconsiderate to go so fast" I dropped the revs to reply when the voice said "thank you". I tell you that woman is a complete expert at making her point, justified or not.

I have decided that, having been in that area for a while now that my response to her next time will be "I take no notice of people who pick and choose which waterway courtesies they observe. You've been moored in that spot for over a month so you can take your hypocrisy and spin on it"

• Greenie 1

What about a simple rule pass all boats as if they are badly moored

The only way to pass without setting off a badly moored serial moaner is to pick your boat out of the water and carry it past on your back very quietly. Its the fact your boat is passing theirs that they really object to never mind what speed.

Top Cat

The only way to pass without setting off a badly moored serial moaner is to pick your boat out of the water and carry it past on your back very quietly. Its the fact your boat is passing theirs that they really object to never mind what speed.

Top Cat

There is another aspect to it. Viewing a passing boat from inside your own through a window or porthole, they always look as though they are moving faster than they do when you go outside and assess their speed more realistically.

I suspect the serial moaners (SMers?) genuinely think all boats pass too fast, but don't have the brains to notice this effect.