Scrotes-on-Trent

Emerald Fox

Featured Posts

Recent comments about the brick-throwing Mummy's Little Angels of Stoke-on-Trent prompts me to ask at what times of day have the savages attacked? And which week days?

We thought to run through 0300-0900 when the little darlings are asleep or too drunk to aim well.

What ethnicity are we talking about? "White British" I suspect (hmm... bet that's a racist remark!!!)...

Have victims had any joy from the Police?

EF

Moored overnight at Westport Lake last week. A pleasant and peaceful mooring.

Went up the staircase on the Caldon around 08.30 and it was lovely and quiet. An easy cruise up to beyond Engine Lock to moor. No probs at all.

We've lived on the boat in the Stoke area for the last 18 months and cruised all the "problem" areas at all times of day with no incidents. There are places we wouldn't leave the boat, just as in any major town.

No problems for us either, this week.

Up the locks mid-day, through Stoke itself in the middle of the day 3 times, plus 3 nights outside the Toby carvery, and not the slightest hint of any problem. Just lots of happy friendly people.

Out of maybe 20 visits, just one problem 10 years ago when an idiot at one of the tables of the Toby Carvery threw his empty beer bottle at random and it hit the boat. Otherwise, 25 years of nothing.

Just go when you want to, and enjoy it.

I'd suggest dawn is about the least likely time of day to encounter scrotage anywhere. The chances gradually rise as the day progresses peaking late afternoon, I'd say.

I think the half dozen times my boat's been stoned/gobbed at by skool-aged scrotage, it's always been between about 2pm and 5pm. I think they knock off and go home for their tea around about 5.

Chances of getting hassle anywhere are quite slim, but it's surprisingly scary, as and when it actually happens.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

We have passed through Stoke twice this year and as we have two children, both were during school holidays. Both mid afternoon on sunny days. No problems at all. One way moored at the lake and the other at the Toby inn so we could go to Waterworks first thing in the morning. No trouble either time. I sometimes think places get a reputation and people propagate it. Much ..he same as the horror stories of he Ashton etc.

Moored overnight many times at the Caldon junction and outside the China Gardens pub, without ever experiencing any problems whatsoever.

I have always thought it's best to trust your instincts, and as long as YOU feel happy then there is nothing more you can do.

Strangely last week we were moored in an idylic spot at Little Bollington underbridge on the Bridgewater canal, with neighbouring moored boats, on a glorious sunny day. We visited Dunham Massey house, and our neighbours saw a passing cyclist nick our headlight. I wouldn't mind but it was over 20 years old and horrible white plastic. No accounting for taste.

Regards

Rog

I can't say Stoke is one of my favorite place but so far had no problems... The only places we have had problems have been the Ashton, Fazeley and of all places Lymm. In hind sight the Lymm incident ended well... idiots returning from night out set all the boats adrift...so we ended up playing dodgems in the dark at three in the morning.... resulted in all of us re= moored safely then having a great night/morning with hot drinks laced with whisky.. In Fazely some kid threw a stone off a bridge and it bounced off boat and hit me ... reported to the office there and the first thing she asked was "are you ok" ... which was more than better half.... he asked if it had damaged the paintwork!

Recent comments about the brick-throwing Mummy's Little Angels of Stoke-on-Trent prompts me to ask at what times of day have the savages attacked? And which week days?

We thought to run through 0300-0900 when the little darlings are asleep or too drunk to aim well.

What ethnicity are we talking about? "White British" I suspect (hmm... bet that's a racist remark!!!)...

Have victims had any joy from the Police?

EF

Why do you ask about ethnicity? Any comment that introduces that into a subject where it is a complete irrelevance is suspect - as you clearly realise. This is a long way from being the sort of remark that puts the site owner at risk but, we all share a responsibility to the owner to keep the site beyond any reproach .. and there may be some who indulge in a little private stereotyping that does you no good personally.

Why do you ask about ethnicity? Any comment that introduces that into a subject where it is a complete irrelevance is suspect - as you clearly realise. This is a long way from being the sort of remark that puts the site owner at risk but, we all share a responsibility to the owner to keep the site beyond any reproach .. and there may be some who indulge in a little private stereotyping that does you no good personally.

That's a very nice soap box. You'd better put it safely away before one of those nasty Stokie kids runs off with it.

• Greenie 3

The closest we have come to Yoof trouble in Stoke is some kids in bikes...the first one hit the OH as she was holding the boat on the centre rope as he was on his phone.....sadly the second one didn't seem to see she had moved across the towpath holding said rope...he did test his brakes!....I think she also taught them some new words as well...'twas amusing to watch...don't mess with someone brought up in the rough end of North London!

Cheers

Gareth

Been through Stoke many times over the last 20 or so years, usually in school holidays on a share boat. Only time I had anything approaching trouble was on the Caldon, when the boat was hit by an air gun pellet, the shooter hiding in the undergrowth. No harm done other than a chip out of the paint.

I have had incidents near Wigan (thrown maggots), Rugby (thrown crab apples) and Bedworth (shot at by a youth with a BB gun filled with rubber pellets). None has caused any damage or put me off (although I did threaten the maggot throwing both with a windlass - he ran off before I could stop the boat and chase him). Usually pointing a camera at them causes them to stop and then run off.

Been through Stoke many times over the last 20 or so years, usually in school holidays on a share boat. Only time I had anything approaching trouble was on the Caldon, when the boat was hit by an air gun pellet, the shooter hiding in the undergrowth. No harm done other than a chip out of the paint.

I have had incidents near Wigan (thrown maggots), Rugby (thrown crab apples) and Bedworth (shot at by a youth with a BB gun filled with rubber pellets). None has caused any damage or put me off (although I did threaten the maggot throwing both with a windlass - he ran off before I could stop the boat and chase him). Usually pointing a camera at them causes them to stop and then run off.

Hmm maybe all boats need hi-res CCTV fitted

I don't think it's irrelevant at all. Perhaps he just wanted to know what typical troublemakers in the area look like?

If an area has a history and reputation of incidents (and I don't know the area so I don't know whether it has or not), then surely any description of the assailants without referring to their ethnicity is completely pointless.

Your attitude is similar to the politically correct line that the police used to take when issuing descriptions for fear of causing offence. Thankfully they've now largely realised the absurdity of that approach. So I actually think it's your unwarranted, self-righteous reprimand of the OP that does you no good personally.

That's my view but that's all I have to say about it...

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

Or a catapult and a handful of rocks.

I run some fairground type rides at a seaside location, we used to have problems with local drunks sitting along a wall all day drinking and causing chaos, this went on for a few years until we set up a paintball shooting alley. after a few of their empty cans vanished from the wall next to them with a bright orange splat of paint they decided that they should find another place to drink.

ETA

undoing the gas tank on a paintball gun by 1/4 turn makes the gun draw liquid Co2 instead of gas (at 1300 psi you can get some surprising accuracy and power)

Edited by Jess--

I run some fairground type rides at a seaside location, we used to have problems with local drunks sitting along a wall all day drinking and causing chaos, this went on for a few years until we set up a paintball shooting alley. after a few of their empty cans vanished from the wall next to them with a bright orange splat of paint they decided that they should find another place to drink.

ETA

undoing the gas tank on a paintball gun by 1/4 turn makes the gun draw liquid Co2 instead of gas (at 1300 psi you can get some surprising accuracy and power)

It also converts it into a prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act 1971 a classification which also covers machine guns thus it is considered serious.

I sympathise with you but injure someone with that weapon and you could be in very hot water.

George ex nb Alton retired

ETA

Surely it would diesel and the accuracy would drop to nothing. I used to have an air rifle which was modified for more power (legal, I had FAC at the time, before anyone lectures me). Occasionally it would diesel and the pellet would leave the barrel with no accuracy at all. I could hit something 15-20 degrees angle away from where I was aiming, somewhat dangerous!

If you want to make good defensive use of a paintball gun you might consider buying bear-repellent balls for it, those little beauties burst into a cloud of pepper spray on impact.

It also converts it into a prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act 1971 a classification which also covers machine guns thus it is considered serious.

I sympathise with you but injure someone with that weapon and you could be in very hot water.

I think you mean the 1968 act, the only Firearms Act 1971 I could find was for the Republic of Ireland.

Firearms Act 1968. S57(1). In this Act, the expression “firearm” means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged.

If you were firing paint or pepper rounds from a paintball gun you're not using a lethal barrelled weapon, you're using a toy. Your actions are more akin to using poster paint or tabasco sauce in a supersoaker!

Surely it would diesel and the accuracy would drop to nothing. I used to have an air rifle which was modified for more power (legal, I had FAC at the time, before anyone lectures me). Occasionally it would diesel and the pellet would leave the barrel with no accuracy at all. I could hit something 15-20 degrees angle away from where I was aiming, somewhat dangerous!

If you want to make good defensive use of a paintball gun you might consider buying bear-repellent balls for it, those little beauties burst into a cloud of pepper spray on impact.

I think you mean the 1968 act, the only Firearms Act 1971 I could find was for the Republic of Ireland.

Firearms Act 1968. S57(1). In this Act, the expression “firearm” means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged.

If you were firing paint or pepper rounds from a paintball gun you're not using a lethal barrelled weapon, you're using a toy. Your actions are more akin to using poster paint or tabasco sauce in a supersoaker!

Sorry, the firearms act is indeed 1968 not 1971. I was quoting from my head not a book and time distorts things.

You quoted S57(1) which is the standard definition of a firearm but prohibited weapons are covered by sec 5.

This weapon, when modified by the quarter turn to increase its power, would be more than covered by Sec 5,1,b even more so if you intend putting pepper spray in it. The word "lethal" is omitted from definitions of prohibited weapons of this type.

Only time we've had trouble were kids spitting off a bridge in Loughborough- dirty eejits. We thought we were going to have trouble in Tipton with a group of teenagers on a bridge but the other half who knows the area well started talking to the kids before we passed under the bridge and they were fine- - could be a good lesson to interract first, not saying it will always work though.

Edited by Woodstock

guns (or markers to give them their proper name) are long gone, they were the cheapest markers on the market (inferno MkII)

we ran them for 5 years and to the best of my knowledge nobody was ever shot by one.

the 1/4 turn trick used to be done on the oldest ones just to keep them up to a similar firing pressure as a brand new one (working right next to a beach means that salt & sand wrecks everything fast), of course you could get exactly the same effect by shooting the gun on it's side.

guns (or markers to give them their proper name) are long gone, they were the cheapest markers on the market (inferno MkII)

we ran them for 5 years and to the best of my knowledge nobody was ever shot by one.

the 1/4 turn trick used to be done on the oldest ones just to keep them up to a similar firing pressure as a brand new one (working right next to a beach means that salt & sand wrecks everything fast), of course you could get exactly the same effect by shooting the gun on it's side.

I have no idea about paintballing, I was simply responding to others postings.

To me they were describing a prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act 1968 sec 5(1)b.

Do not allow the term "gun" to colour the picture. The "barrel" on a prohibited weapon can be as small as the nozzle on an aerosol spray if it is discharging a noxious substance.