Working Boats still carrying

Heartland

Featured Posts

I don't think TENCH has been mentioned yet, often paired with ILFORD.

I'm not quite sure what Tench has been loaded with for a while, or whether it is for delivery somewhere ultimately, but it is some kind of aggregate or stone I think, not coal.

You are correct that when Aquarius has not been paired with Ilford this year, it has often been Tench towing Ilford, (there being a family connection, of course!), but unlike Aquarius and Ilford I have not seen Tench with loose (or even bagged) coal on board.

I was wondering whether The Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. were still up and running with NUNEATON and BRIGHTON. I look at their website almost every day and their "News" section has not been updated for ages, and the last update a couple of months ago was to delete the only entry that was there captain.gif

I was wondering whether The Narrow Boat Trust Ltd. were still up and running with NUNEATON and BRIGHTON. I look at their website almost every day and their "News" section has not been updated for ages, and the last update a couple of months ago was to delete the only entry that was there :captain:

They were on their way to Alvecote for the winter according to the crew having just done a coal run from Jacko's down the Oxford and Thames.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned Crane - seen here at Dimmingsdale at the end of August. She was working up the lock with Callisto.IMG_3210_zps43b9553c.jpg

My 4 year old daughter saw this picture this morning and said 'That boat is Beautiful' :)

She's not wrong ;)

They were on their way to Alvecote for the winter according to the crew having just done a coal run from Jacko's down the Oxford and Thames.

I am not too sure where this was taken but Maggie, one of the crew posted it on Facebook on 31st October. Someone will probably recognise the location but I have highlighted Pete's query to a couple of the crew so maybe someone can advise what is happening with their website.

10687001_10152831729099883_1778529113215

Photo copyright Maggie Young

I am not too sure where this was taken but Maggie, one of the crew posted it on Facebook on 31st October. Someone will probably recognise the location but I have highlighted Pete's query to a couple of the crew so maybe someone can advise what is happening with their website.

10687001_10152831729099883_1778529113215

Photo copyright Maggie Young

Hi

The pic is just going into Uxbridge Lock - we left there Sunday afternoon and I left the boats on Thursday afternoon at Bruanston.

The boats are unloaded having just finished a coal run. They are returning to Alvecote for winter - I think they arrived either Saturday or Sunday.

As to the web site I am unsure what the situation is with it.

I had a very enjoyable 5 days - hard work but good fun.

Maggie

Just about to go in to uxbridge lock GU south.

Darren

Yep

My 4 year old daughter saw this picture this morning and said 'That boat is Beautiful' smile.png

She's not wrong wink.png

That's right, train 'em young, lad! Excellent.

It does look as if the engine needs attention, unless it was still warming up - the exhaust is very smoky.

Ah "Crane" - a Josher that can turn my head in a way that somehow the really "blinged" ones never quite manage.It's owner Geoff, is a very occasional poster on the forum, and really has got himself a cracking boat.I had not realised he had loaded it, so thanks for sharing!

That's got to be one of the nicest boats I've ever seen. Truly a thing of beauty.

That's right, train 'em young, lad! Excellent.

It does look as if the engine needs attention, unless it was still warming up - the exhaust is very smoky.

Looking at the size of of the exhaust + the position it points to being a semi diesel, most likely a one pot Bolinder they can be smoky by varying degrees from clear to a real pea souper or possibly a Seffle as it could have been fitted with one from it's Willow Wren days

Edited by X Alan W

Looking at the size of of the exhaust + the position it points to being a semi diesel, most likely a one pot Bolinder they can be smoky by varying degrees from clear to a real pea souper or possibly a Seffle as it could have been fitted with one from it's Willow Wren days

Exhaust & water outlets are almost certainly on the wrong side for a bolinder (I have come across references to handed pairs and have seen

what I believe to be a left handed oil pump box), not sure about the orientation on a seffle.

springy

It's not a Bolinder, or a Seffle.

It's an 8/10hp Petter S-Type, as far as I know the only working one in a boat at the moment.

Interesting to me as it's the type of engine Willow had from new- positioned at the back right under the steerer, with the exhaust about 18" from their left ear!

I'm acting as NBT webmaster at present, as and when I can, around a day job that takes me away from home a lot, and running a business. So I don't get at it very often. At the moment anyone wishing to see regular updates on the boats whereabouts can do so by joining the Trust and accessing the private forum. I've set up a facebook page for potential use, to be discussed at the AGM, the advantage being it won't need FTP and editing software to manage.

Meanwhile the boats do two runs every year, typically starting at John Jacksons yard at Awbridge then travelling down to the SE to serve our regular customers. They typically load about 40 tonnes between the two boats - enough to make life interesting on some stretches - and carry that load a relatively significant distance compared to the local traders. Where necessary the Trust also reload in the SE to complete their orders.

As an aside the Trust is sensitive to the issue of 'taking' other boats trade, albeit no-one can lay exclusive claim to an area, and do not actively market themselves other than to their established customers. They are however occasionally asked to supply small amounts of fuel in passing and will do that.

John Jackson's website has some photos on relevant to this topic .. http://www.coalboat.co.uk/index.html

Nuneaton and Brighton are currently back at their winter mooring in Alvecote thanks to the continuing support of Malcolm Burge.

Edited by twbm

Hi all

I've had a fair bit to do with Crane over the last few years. Geoff, the owner, had work done at Warwick Fly, where John Kingham painted her subsequently. I then added the lettering and later on scumbled the cabin, decorating the back doors, weatherboard and some drawers. The table cupboard is much older and, I think, early Ron Hough. Watercan and handbowl were added along the way. Geoff called me when he had just loaded but other commitments left me unable to help. Luckily he wasn't too busy to join me on Resolute for the Paddington Arm and Regents leg of our recent trip. We share a mutual appreciation of real ale as well as boating!

Cheers

Dave

Willow Wren imported four 25HP Seffles. Only three were ever fitted. Now they are in Severn (previously in Lily), Walton (previously Owl, and before that Baildon) and a modern boat, Beckwood.

Somewhere I have a list from the Seffle company listing all the British boats that fitted their engines - including the smalller 12 HP ones.

I'm pretty sure the engine in Crane is a Petter semi diesel.

Edited by koukouvagia

LMS station boat Finch did have one fitted. Is it still about?

Tim

Finch is on the Basingstoke just above the Woodham flight of locks - she's now owned by Jeff Holman who bought her from a gentleman who lived, I think, in Nottingham when he came to an event on the Basingstoke in 2009.

Finch moored in 'Potters Pool' above Deepcut during (the very cold) Easter 2013

15699542411_882e53ff95_z.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

I'm acting as NBT webmaster at present, as and when I can, around a day job that takes me away from home a lot, and running a business. So I don't get at it very often. At the moment anyone wishing to see regular updates on the boats whereabouts can do so by joining the Trust and accessing the private forum. I've set up a facebook page for potential use, to be discussed at the AGM, the advantage being it won't need FTP and editing software to manage.

Meanwhile the boats do two runs every year, typically starting at John Jacksons yard at Awbridge then travelling down to the SE to serve our regular customers. They typically load about 40 tonnes between the two boats - enough to make life interesting on some stretches - and carry that load a relatively significant distance compared to the local traders. Where necessary the Trust also reload in the SE to complete their orders.

As an aside the Trust is sensitive to the issue of 'taking' other boats trade, albeit no-one can lay exclusive claim to an area, and do not actively market themselves other than to their established customers. They are however occasionally asked to supply small amounts of fuel in passing and will do that.

John Jackson's website has some photos on relevant to this topic .. http://www.coalboat.co.uk/index.html

Nuneaton and Brighton are currently back at their winter mooring in Alvecote thanks to the continuing support of Malcolm Burge.

I'd just like to point out that, by buying from John Jackson, NBT actively supports a merchant in making a living.

I'd also like to point out that most coal traders on the waterways only do it for a limited amount of time ( usually until the novelty wears off ), whereas NBT has been supplying waterside customers for forty years and will continue to do so for as long as there are members willing to do it.

Keith

Finch is on the Basingstoke just above the Woodham flight of locks - she's now owned by Jeff Holman who bought her from a gentleman who lived, I think, in Nottingham when he came to an event on the Basingstoke in 2009.

Finch moored in 'Potters Pool' above Deepcut during (the very cold) Easter 2013

15699542411_882e53ff95_z.jpg

The exhaust is large enough, and in the right place, so it looks like it's still got the S type.

So that's two boats, then.

THe Severner Oak at Gloucester museum still has the engine fitted, but there have been bits removed from the gearbox (by Joe's Self-Changing Gears Company of the USA!) and subsequently lost, and I don't think is in any state to run soon.

We saw them Saturday evening on the Coventry and then mooring up at Alvecote- lovely sight:)

Willow Wren imported four 25HP Seffles. Only three were ever fitted.

Somewhere I have a list from the Seffle company listing all the British boats that fitted their engines - including the smalller 12 HP ones.

According to my records, as well as period photographs Willow Wren Canal Carrying Company fitted all four of the 25hp Seffle's into their carrying boats. They were fitted into AVOCET, BITTERN, MALLARD and SANDPIPER.

I would be extremely interested to see your list from the Seffle Company. If I remember correctly 'Willow Wren' were an agent for Seffle, as well as the later Bolinder BM engines - which is why they had so many in their own boats as well as fitting them to numerous working boat / pleasure boat conversions.

Crane has obviously been re-engined since I first saw it as the exhaust is in a different place.

CRANE has had at least 5 engines throughout its history, and when you took your photograph it was fitted with a Lister SR3 - an engine fitted by Willow Wren Hire Cruisers Ltd. when in use as a self steer camping boat.