Police's latest weapon is a narrowboat.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Police securing the Conservative party conference have gone to new lengths in their fight against crime - by drafting in a narrowboat.

The canal barge, called Galley Pearl, has been unveiled in Birmingham to help the security effort around the conference, which begins tomorrow.

It has been converted to provide an HQ during the conference, which runs at the International Convention Centre (ICC) and Hyatt Hotel until Wednesday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2771880/Police-latest-weapon-Tory-conference-secure-NARROWBOAT-let-s-hope-don-t-need-rapid-pursuit.html

Theres a lot of thoughts swirling round over this, it doesn't really seem high tech...more Dixon of Dock green than Scotland Yard.

How many on board? Are they insured for so many and if cassette whose emptying?

And the thought of it giving chase with blue lights flashing at 4mph is worthy of its own TV programme...come next year a sit com could well arise based on this.

Wonder if the local "fun lovers" will untie it at night !! ??

Them and whose army, with some coppers aboard the boat awake 24/7?

Sorry to spoil some of the fun, but it's their HQ, it'll be constantly manned, they can pop into the hotel to use the loo, and it won't be moving or chasing anyone. I'm guessing that they use their own radio system, not mobile phones, and that it's specifically designed to have a good signal anywhere that's more or less in the open.

The conference is a week isn't it?, so they would need a special dispensation if they're staying on a 48 hour mooring, but somehow I have a feeling CRT will bend the odd rule for them.

I can't see the hotel pooprieter agreeing to a thousand coppers keep trotting back and forth to use their loo, they'd soon be clean out of bog paper for a start.ohmy.png I think the force ought to supply them all with nappies and safety pins for the duration of the conference. closedeyes.gif

Galley Pearl is owned, or was owned owned, by Gerry, the owner of Cuckoo Wharf, the moorings and s/stn being leased to CRT. He showed me over the boat back in 2007 when it already had a 'conference' room as he used it for meetings when the main conference room in the offices was in use.

The last time I saw it was at Sherbourne Wharf where it was waiting for the insurance company to authorise repairs after it had been vandalised at Cuckoo.

Edited by pearley