How can some get away from paying for a license

Featured Posts

I fall into category 2. too.

Shudda dun a pol

I wasn't sure how to do one within an existing thread. I'm sure I've seen it done though. TDH will know!!

MtB

Wow you certainly seem to like all my posts today

Well you keep making snitty comments!

MtB

I wasn't sure how to do one within an existing thread. I'm sure I've seen it done though. TDH will know!!

MtB

AFAIK you can't.

You only get the 'manage topic poll' option when you start a thread or if you have started the thread and then go back and edit the original post.

Edited by The Dog House

I won't start a poll. I think most peeps will vote 2.

MtB

Given the questions are 'rigged' quite possibly.

To be fair you should add my 4 and incorporate John's addition about 'falling on hard times.

Hmm just waded through and read all the various arguments for and against and have come to my personal take on evasion which is,

I pay because I would get to get caught and suffer that which follows

Evasion is bad because I reckon (probably incorrectly) that if everyone paid, we would all pay a little less.

By the way I don't indulge in license spotting.

Phil

I pay mine 1. Because it's good value, 2. It gives me the legal right to do what I do and 3. It gives me the right to a voice in the way the waterways are run.

People who don't pay theirs are harming nobody but themselves.

People who worry about other people's licence status are just plain sad.

....and a comment on someone's trite comment of earlier; the licence checking web page is not for CRT's benefit, it's to assuage those who exercise themselves over other people's affairs.

If like me, you put reflective film on your windows, remember to cut a hole for licence! I did wonder why I was getting funny looks as from the outside you couldn't SEE mine although it is current!

At one point neither the licence name or the name on the boat matched and I hadn't re done the index number so I was "invisible"!!clapping.gif

I just wondered how those people who say evasion does not bother them and that people who are bothered are sad, do they feel the same about people who dodge paying Road Tax?

Phil

I must be VERY sad because the antics of Starbucks, Amazon and the rest bothers me greatly.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

I just wondered how those people who say evasion does not bother them and that people who are bothered are sad, do they feel the same about people who dodge paying Road Tax?

Phil

Here, the sun is shining, it's going to be a lovely day

I suppose I could spend it getting cross about what other people are doing but somehow that seems to be a waste of time

Richard

• Greenie 1

When the boat is next repainted, I think I will paint the index number in Eastern Arabic numerals on one side and Roman numerals on the other.

That will give the busybodies something to do. Actually would it fulfil my licence conditions? Must check.

Edited to add Eastern - they are already in Arabic numerals - doh.

Edited by billS

I have been fascinated following this thread but I would like a few personal opinions about when an individual should take action about anti social/criminal/behaviour detrimental to the majority.

Is it never its the polices job as some seem to imply? Is it when you personally will feel the effects? How close to home do those effects have to be for example the ordinary boater probably doesn't notice the result of one person not paying for a license but might if suddenly 4% of the license pot was added.

There seems in the mind of many posters to be some line somewhere which says if I interfere in this I am being a busybody but I assume (sincerely hope) that wouldn't apply to a bank robbery or murder. I think they would come forward with any evidence they may have.

So where is the line between good citizen and busybody?

I have been fascinated following this thread but I would like a few personal opinions about when an individual should take action about anti social/criminal/behaviour detrimental to the majority.

Is it never its the polices job as some seem to imply? Is it when you personally will feel the effects? How close to home do those effects have to be for example the ordinary boater probably doesn't notice the result of one person not paying for a license but might if suddenly 4% of the license pot was added.

There seems in the mind of many posters to be some line somewhere which says if I interfere in this I am being a busybody but I assume (sincerely hope) that wouldn't apply to a bank robbery or murder. I think they would come forward with any evidence they may have.

So, these boats seen, had definitely not paid for their licences then?

It's different for everyone. For most, the line would seem to be just on one side or the other of being bothered by other people scamming the system. I'd imagine the same views would emerge if the question had been about benefit fraudsters. Some would dob them in, others would say 'none of my business'.

MtB

Where is your line?

Richard

Personally I am not sure how reporting any anti social/criminal behaviour can be seen as being a busybody. It implies to some that certain actions are acceptable even if anti social/criminal. Which in turn means they aren't really anti social etc as society accepts them and doesn't take action when they could.

Now I have "shown you mine" you "show me yours"!

I think you are jumping to conclusions without reading the post properly - he is refering to C&RTS own published figures of 4% unlicensed boats - NOT that he has seen unlicenced boats.

Fair enough. Included within that 4% unlicensed, are the boats that are in marinas where a licence is not necessary. I doubt very much that there are actually that many boats on the cut without a licence. Also the figures for boats under enforcement with having their licence taken away will be within that 4%.

I'd expect the CRT licence checker website to give an accurate result.

Actually, your expectations, however legitimate, would be disappointed. Boats that have been removed from the jurisdiction and are no longer licensed [with CaRT], come up as unknown. It is as though if no longer in their jurisdiction, the boats no longer exist nor ever did!

So it is quite possible that a previously licensed boat could re-enter CaRT waters and if you went to the online checker with the index number it will tell you only that their system “does not recognise this boat.” You will then be invited to send off detailed descriptions, but it is peculiar, because they will of course have all the details. [The FoI denials of data retention are given the lie by the mass of material available for any boat caught up in legal proceedings].

Doubtless this is a function of the limited info fed to the web-checker. After all, it isn’t meant to be serious - although I would personally think it a good idea to keep the data bank properly informed.