How can some get away from paying for a license

Featured Posts

Rod a mod from Tod, on 20 Jul 2014 - 1:18 PM, said:snapback.png

I should have been a bit more precise in that if they do not have a valid licence then the logical thing to do is not display a valid index number either.

The Dog House said:
I do think some boaters do this but I am unsure what percentage of the 4% do or how CRT pursue this in the absence of the information needed to trace the owner.

[i said: Haven't fully got the hang of quoting two people yet but the above should do!]

If I were a licence evader (I don't have a boat, honest!) I think not showing an index number would be a poor strategy, as it would very soon grab CRT's attention and they are surely bound to have some power to deal with a boat that fails to show one? I admit I don't know what that power might be.

No, the key to getting away with it would be (1) creating red herrings and (2) keeping a low profile. So, to expand a bit upon my earlier post, I'd get a common type of boat, paint it in a common colour scheme, and every so often I'd spot a similar boat somewhere and find a quiet spot to paint my name and number to match theirs. I'd move on frequently but not necessarily very far each time, avoiding all the most popular areas and moorings as far as possible and being careful not to annoy people, and try to develop software to forge a licence for the window to fit the current cloned boat, so as to be able to use those locks where they're still checked. Devious, moi?

The only way I can see CRT catching someone who follows this strategy is if they spot the real boat and its clone too far apart in canal miles but close together in time (a half-decent programmer can sift this out easily if sightings are stored centrally for a few weeks), then contact the owner and re-locate the fake boat before the name and number is re-painted again.

Funny, how different people are isn't it?

I have never noticed if another boat has a valid license displayed or not, and rarely notice if there are trade plates in the windows or reg number painted on the side of the boat. I'm normally too busy checking out their plants, top boxes or solar set ups. Guess we all have sightly different priorities.

Yes, I would like it if all boaters fulfill their obligatory payment of their license fees. However; I don't really think if they did my license fee would decrease. But it would be more money in the coffers of the Trust to maintain the waterways, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm just not at a point of taking the time & energy to check other boats - too busy enjoying all the other pleasing & interesting sights on the canals.

Good post.

When I eventually get my boat, I intend to make the most of and enjoy every chance I get to be out boating.

The main reason I will CC is so I can be out moving about and enjoying the system.

What others do is none of my business so let them get on with it.

Funny, how different people are isn't it?

I have never noticed if another boat has a valid license displayed or not, and rarely notice if there are trade plates in the windows or reg number painted on the side of the boat. I'm normally too busy checking out their plants, top boxes or solar set ups. Guess we all have sightly different priorities.

Yes, I would like it if all boaters fulfill their obligatory payment of their license fees. However; I don't really think if they did my license fee would decrease. But it would be more money in the coffers of the Trust to maintain the waterways, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm just not at a point of taking the time & energy to check other boats - too busy enjoying all the other pleasing & interesting sights on the canals.

Seeing as you mentioned it, I am amazed at the number of "trade" plates on boats which are anything but. I passed two on the Staffs and Worcs last week within half a mile which were obviously being used for leisure.

George ex nb Alton retired

Social / community responsibility?

But how far do you go? If I saw a burglary in progress, I would call the police, If I saw/heard someone being assaulted I would act, but I don't patrol the neighbourhood actively looking for burglars and muggers...

Everyone cares about different things in different amounts, I think. I care a lot about animals, both mine and other peoples, and so I go out of my way to help where possible where pets are concerned. Some people think pets are pointless/worthless/problematic, and so would not care or help, due to their differing priorities. Someone is not displaying a licence, for reasons I know nothing about and simply don't tend to notice anyway? I care much less about that.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 4

But how far do you go? If I saw a burglary in progress, I would call the police, If I saw/heard someone being assaulted I would act, but I don't patrol the neighbourhood actively looking for burglars and muggers...

Everyone cares about different things in different amounts, I think. I care a lot about animals, both mine and other peoples, and so I go out of my way to help where possible where pets are concerned. Some people think pets are pointless/worthless/problematic, and so would not care or help, due to their differing priorities. Someone is not displaying a licence, for reasons I know nothing about and simply don't tend to notice anyway? I care much less about that.

That's your choice and it's fine if you are happy with it, however others have a different view and shouldn't be denigrated for it, even by implication. Anyway I am not suggesting patrolling the neighbourhood looking for licence evaders, but when I happen to be passing anyway and notice one I feel obliged by my social responsibility to report it, just as I would if I saw, say, someone shoplifting. But If you don't notice other boat's licences that is fine.

• Greenie 1

That's your choice and it's fine if you are happy with it, however others have a different view and shouldn't be denigrated for it, even by implication.

Without wishing to turn this into a point-scoring contest, can I remind you of this old post of yours regarding your views on other's personal choices in another situation; this, to me, is also denigrating the choices of others.

It would be interesting to know what charities at home you give to. No doubt a few feel obliged to give to RSPCA or equivalent in preference to saving their fellow humans from starving to death, dying of thirst or from drinking contaminated water. I maintain that is wrong. But I will have the last laugh when you are reincarnated as a small squishy animal subject to no regard from others.

Edited by Starcoaster

Without wishing to turn this into a point-scoring contest, can I remind your of this old post of yours regarding your views on other's personal choices in another situation; this, to me, is also denigrating the choices of others.

Haha, made you look anyway! Yes I guess you are right. Of course we have to put "within reason" in these comments. For example if I said my choice was to have sex with children, you could reasonably denigrate me for it. However choosing to "get involved" in licence evasion or not is much less clear cut and both views are reasonable. Putting animals ahead of humans is IMO less reasonable but let's not go there!

I am not so concerned about people not displaying licences because CRT do actively pursue those who do not pay

the fee. What bothers me more are the increasing number of boats which are moored on the same spot on the

towpath for weeks/months on end without CRT appearing to do anything about it!

Hmm just waded through and read all the various arguments for and against and have come to my personal take on evasion which is,

I pay because I would get to get caught and suffer that which follows

Evasion is bad because I reckon (probably incorrectly) that if everyone paid, we would all pay a little less.

By the way I don't indulge in license spotting.

Phil

Hmm just waded through and read all the various arguments for and against and have come to my personal take on evasion which is,

I pay because I would get to get caught and suffer that which follows

Evasion is bad because I reckon (probably incorrectly) that if everyone paid, we would all pay a little less.

By the way I don't indulge in license spotting.

Phil

I'm quite sure C&RT know what boats are unlicensed, wardens are patrolling the canals, it's difficult to hide a boat, I'm sure they check all boat reg No.'s and don't require busy bodies to report said boats. If they do then clearly there aren't enough wardens.

I've only ever looked up one boats reg No. as we believed it was either abandoned or stolen or both. I really couldn't be arsed to go around or even when passing a boat to be jotting down reg No.s and reporting to C&RT laugh.png

I am not so concerned about people not displaying licences because CRT do actively pursue those who do not pay

the fee. What bothers me more are the increasing number of boats which are moored on the same spot on the

towpath for weeks/months on end without CRT appearing to do anything about it!

When I arrived at the bottom of lock 11 Audlem on Friday there was one other boat there and he had gone past me the day before above the locks. By 12 o'clock all the moorings were full about 8 boats. About 12:30 a boat arrived looking for a mooring and said to me "some of these boats have been here for over a month." When I said to him not possible and explained why he said "well they look the same!!!" Well I have to agree I said they all have a pointy end... Edited by cotswoldsman

The conversation seems to have been subverted from the original point, and from the point I was making earlier that several people seem to have willfully misunderstood.

The point I was trying to make is that I feel irritated by boaters evading the licence fee. Nothing to do with failing to display their paper licence document in the window. That doesn't bother me at all.

Now that's clear, what do CWF members think about boaters who evade the licence fee?

1) None of their business whether other boaters licence their boat?

2) Vaguely miffed that 4% of boaters evade the licence fee?

3) Annoyed enough about it to keep an eye out for suspect boats and run their number through the CRT licence checker website?

I fall into category 2.

MtB

The conversation seems to have been subverted from the original point, and from the point I was making earlier that several people seem to have willfully misunderstood.

The point I was trying to make is that I feel irritated by boaters evading the licence fee. Nothing to do with failing to display their paper licence document in the window. That doesn't bother me at all.

Now that's clear, what do CWF members think about boaters who evade the licence fee?

1) None of their business whether other boaters licence their boat?

2) Vaguely miffed that 4% of boaters evade the licence fee?

3) Annoyed enough about it to keep an eye out for suspect boats and run their number through the CRT licence checker website?

I fall into category 2.

MtB

4) I expect boaters to licence their boats but don't feel particularly miffed about it as there are people who take the pee in all walks of life.

If I had a boat and a bunch of old licences in my folder, having read this thread I'd be off to the boat post haste to put the oldest one in the window just to see who turns purple as they go by.

I'd be a no.4.

clapping.gif

I think a couple of our old ones are still on the boat somewhere...